Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is repairing a broken lugged steel frame a viable option?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is repairing a broken lugged steel frame a viable option?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-22, 09:37 PM
mctrek

Bikes: 85 Trek 400, Trek 7000ZX , Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have used Franklin Frames before and he does really good work at a reasonable price. He is an older frame builder that is close to Columbus Ohio. You could even ship the bike to him and he will fix it up and send it back to you. 7179 Reform Rd, Newark, OH, United States, Ohio

(740) 763-3838

franklinframe@windstream.net
Old 09-27-22, 11:58 AM
r3dr0ver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the reference!
Old 09-27-22, 12:42 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 327 Posts
It's unlikely a simple sleeve will work, as the fracture is probably where the butt ends, so you'll be working with two different internal diameters. Also you'd want to silver solder it, and it won't be easy to get the inside of the tubes as clean as you need for that to work reliably. It's not difficult for a competent frame builder to replace the whole tube, but if the downtube is corroded or fatigued the top tube may not be far behind, and if you replace both of those you're paying for half a frame anyway so you might as well get a new one.
Old 09-27-22, 12:56 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
external sleeve.... look at the post in C&V where a well respected frame builder showed examples for such a fix. bronze brazing rod, not silver due to lower temps

Old 09-27-22, 01:03 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
It's unlikely a simple sleeve will work, as the fracture is probably where the butt ends, so you'll be working with two different internal diameters. Also you'd want to silver solder it, and it won't be easy to get the inside of the tubes as clean as you need for that to work reliably. It's not difficult for a competent frame builder to replace the whole tube, but if the downtube is corroded or fatigued the top tube may not be far behind, and if you replace both of those you're paying for half a frame anyway so you might as well get a new one.
I'd have to say I agree that a sleeve is not the appropriate repair in this instance. A full tube replacement is warranted. And yes, it is not as easy as it sounds. If it is repaired, the frame builder may be able to determine what happened exactly and whether any other tubes are in jeopardy of failing.

There is also the issue of liability to consider. I don't know that frame builders carry liability insurance, but they should!

As much as I like to save and/or repurpose things, I'd be looking for a new frame. If you miss sitting on the bike seat, turn it into a stool as suggested above. They are actually pretty cute.
Old 09-27-22, 01:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
check this thread about 2/3 the way down where Doug Fattic shows details of an external sleeve repair. intteresting

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...iviera-gt.html

Old 09-28-22, 05:06 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
check this thread about 2/3 the way down where Doug Fattic shows details of an external sleeve repair. intteresting

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...iviera-gt.html
I'd be concerned that this patch is being brazed to a tube that might be further weakened from corrosion or previous overheating. Also I think it looks pretty bad, but some people may think it was cool or interesting I guess. I'm in two minds whether I might do this for one of my bikes - as a stop gap I suppose I might but then who can resist a good excuse to get something new?