Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A bit annoyed with how my LBS wrapped my wife’s bars…

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A bit annoyed with how my LBS wrapped my wife’s bars…

Old 05-24-23, 01:36 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Why whine on a forum when you should have confronted the person at the bike shop and requested that they fix the bike.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 05-24-23, 01:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by dscohen
Thanks for the inputs! I'll likely just leave it as is. I just learned something new about this shop. The shop that services my bike would never have wrapped this way, but it's about high time I give it a go.

My wife's bike also has some secondary brake levers on the bars just to the left and right of the stem. I had asked them to remove these when they were re-cabling the bike. They put this information in the work order notes, but then when I picked up the bike they didn't do it. My combined ire of them wrapping the bars this way and then not executing on the details of the work order brought me on here to vent.
Originally Posted by Calsun
Why whine on a forum when you should have confronted the person at the bike shop and requested that they fix the bike.
Bingo. They'd have to remove the tape in order to remove the extraneous brake levers, and then they could re-wrap it as per your preference. Why didn't you just ask them to do the job as written up?
Old 05-24-23, 02:07 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Thanks for the inputs! I'll likely just leave it as is. I just learned something new about this shop. The shop that services my bike would never have wrapped this way, but it's about high time I give it a go.

My wife's bike also has some secondary brake levers on the bars just to the left and right of the stem. I had asked them to remove these when they were re-cabling the bike. They put this information in the work order notes, but then when I picked up the bike they didn't do it. My combined ire of them wrapping the bars this way and then not executing on the details of the work order brought me on here to vent.
Now that is plain wrong and incompetent of the shop and its employees.
I'd have asked why the work was done incorrectly and how much of a refund I was going to get for the incorrect work.
I work in a bike shop as a wrench and if we screwed up like this we'd have accepted the fault and made it right immediately with a profound apology. We have screwed up in the past and will likely do so in the future...that is why we take responsibility and make it right.
If it's the only shop around that sucks...learn how to do it yourself it is far more satisfying...
Old 05-24-23, 02:32 PM
dscohen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Now that is plain wrong and incompetent of the shop and its employees.
I'd have asked why the work was done incorrectly and how much of a refund I was going to get for the incorrect work.
I work in a bike shop as a wrench and if we screwed up like this we'd have accepted the fault and made it right immediately with a profound apology. We have screwed up in the past and will likely do so in the future...that is why we take responsibility and make it right.
If it's the only shop around that sucks...learn how to do it yourself it is far more satisfying...
Agreed. It's not so cut and dry as we'd now need to source more blue brake cable housing to redo it; otherwise, I would have had them redo it then and there. I'm also a little concerned about the tape losing its tack once they unwrap and rewrap.
Old 05-24-23, 02:58 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 75 Posts
You guys are tough. I don't know I ever would have notice that. Still not even 100% sure what the issue is.

With that said, I'm a guy who spent last season with black electrical tape I did myself. Sinful as it was on Zipp carbon bars on a Merckx 525.

Had my guy re-do it with Lizzard Skin medium thick. Liking it, but if I had to do over I'd go with their thickest. After 20 years riding, I've learned I have big hands and am happiest with chunky vibration dampening tape that I can nicely hold loose tight.
Old 05-24-23, 03:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by ralphs
At least it doesn't look like this...
Bar + Tape = Bar Tape, I suppose.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-24-23, 03:58 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I've been wrapping bars since 1976, and boy are my hands tired. (JK) I would only use electrical tape as a last resort, even the best tends to slide a little. But if you must, use whatever finishing tape the manufacturer included over electrical tape. If there are no little bits for under the lever hood, just cut some small pieces off before taping.
Calvin, for the love of Merckx, just use an ink pen and leave the razor knife for cutting linoleum floors or hydraulic lines. I have never had an issue wrapping the lower part in the same direction as the upper, nor have I ever seen it an issue. That is to say, keep the direction of the upper wrap like Calvin says. Folks tend to twist the upper flat part of the bars (next to the stem) like someone trying to accelerate a motorcycle throttle, while they ride.

Last edited by venturi95; 05-24-23 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-24-23, 11:47 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Hmmm. The last time I had the Velofix mechanic over to work on my bikes, he saw my new box of tape in the garage and asked if he could re-wrap my bars for me just because he loved doing it. I was going to do it myself, but I figured he could save me some time and aggravation. He did it for free and much better than I would have. I wrapped my gravel bars soon after. It came out pretty well -- but not as perfect as the Velofix guy.
That's awesome, especially since he did it better than you would have. I am extremely picky doing my bars, wanting both sides to overlap the same amount and end at exactly the right spot with the tapered cut to line up at the same point around the bars... with a small bulge in the drops where my palm rests and more overlap (thicker padding) on the tops... and a over/under criss-cross pattern to cover the brifter clamp. Of course, that takes me about an hour with a many times I end up backing up and rewrapping. I don't know if a shop would be that thorough, but it doesn't matter because I actually enjoy the process.
Old 05-25-23, 07:12 AM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by urbanknight
That's awesome, especially since he did it better than you would have. I am extremely picky doing my bars, wanting both sides to overlap the same amount and end at exactly the right spot with the tapered cut to line up at the same point around the bars... with a small bulge in the drops where my palm rests and more overlap (thicker padding) on the tops... and a over/under criss-cross pattern to cover the brifter clamp. Of course, that takes me about an hour with a many times I end up backing up and rewrapping. I don't know if a shop would be that thorough, but it doesn't matter because I actually enjoy the process.
This is why you learn to do it yourself...it comes out exactly the way you want it to and if it's not right you do it over until it is...chapeau ! ! !
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 05-25-23, 07:13 AM
Kai Winters

Agreed. It's not so cut and dry as we'd now need to source more blue brake cable housing to redo it; otherwise, I would have had them redo it then and there. I'm also a little concerned about the tape losing its tack once they unwrap and rewrap.
Tape doesn't lose its 'tack' that quickly.
Old 05-25-23, 07:51 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Some bar tapes comes with two 2-3'' long pieces of material made specifically to cover those two area of the handlebar that are hard to wrap, some don't. I always put one around each levers before taping my bars to prevent this from happening.

Your LBS should be able to correct the problem. Bar tape can be unwrapped and re-wrapped.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 05-25-23, 09:23 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
it was a heckuva lot easier to do a great job wrapping bars before needing to deal with shifter cables and (especially) hydraulic brake lines
Old 05-25-23, 09:35 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Done right, you don't need the strip to fill in, everything is just covered by the way its wrapped and the hoods.
it might depend on the method used when maneuvering around the hoods - especially when ‘changing direction’

some method / methods apparently will leave the small void (bare exposed ‘V’ shaped spot)
Old 05-25-23, 09:42 AM
t2p

If you wanna be super picky, you gotta do it yourself. Shops are apparently charging $20 labor to wrap bars, and I know no shop would want to pay me even min wage to spend an hour wrapping bars as anally retentive as I do.
hour ? you are flying lol

I’m fortunate to get one side completed in an hour

when shift cables and hydraulic brake lines (and related) are added it can become a PITA ...

obviously would go quicker if you did a number of them
Old 05-25-23, 10:42 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by t2p

when shift cables and hydraulic brake lines (and related) are added it can become a PITA ...
I don't understand how shift cables and brake lines make it more time-consuming. They're generally taped to the handlebar and the wrap goes right over them.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-25-23, 10:46 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Some bar tapes comes with two 2-3'' long pieces of material made specifically to cover those two area of the handlebar that are hard to wrap, some don't. I always put one around each levers before taping my bars to prevent this from happening.

Your LBS should be able to correct the problem. Bar tape can be unwrapped and re-wrapped.
Going back to the 90's, I always use those extra strips for some padding in the drops, right at the first bend in the bars.
And never worried about covering the rear of the clamp, which my paws never touch.
I wonder if I will ever experience the day of bringing my bikes to a shop and let them have at it.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 05-25-23, 11:21 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

maybe because I’ve done it many times. I used to wrap my family’s bikes as a teen, and have wrapped my own almost every year ever since then. Still never quite happy with how I do, too.

FWIW my cables and lines are scotch taped in place and that generally stays put when I rewrap the bars.
Old 05-25-23, 08:09 PM
t2p

FWIW my cables and lines are scotch taped in place and that generally stays put when I rewrap the bars.
I also secure (tape) the cables and lines before wrapping the bar
Old 05-25-23, 08:18 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by t2p
I also secure (tape) the cables and lines before wrapping the bar
So then how does that complicate wrapping the bar? Still trying to figure out that one.
Old 05-25-23, 08:20 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't understand how shift cables and brake lines make it more time-consuming. They're generally taped to the handlebar and the wrap goes right over them.

hydraulic brake / shifter assemblies are larger / occupy more space behind the clamp - and the irregular shape of the rear-most portion protrudes away from the bar (especially the brake hose fitting area)

some of the protruding part of the brake / shifter assembly / brake hose must be covered - or unwrapped portions will be visible ... however - due to the shape of the rear-most portion, when wrapped the wrap will be pulled away from the handlebar slightly ... and also gotta be careful how much of the assembly is covered by the wrap because the hoods have ‘nubs’ that sit inside recesses on the assembly ... if the wrap covers the recesses - the hood might not fit into place neatly

there ... clear as mud

Last edited by t2p; 05-25-23 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-25-23, 08:25 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

i must be doing it REALLY wrong, it only took 15 minutes or so, with zero experience. there must be some nuance i'm missing.
Old 05-25-23, 08:27 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
That's too bad about you not being happy with the bar tape. What did the LBS say when you asked them to redo the work?
Old 05-25-23, 08:32 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by Koyote
So then how does that complicate wrapping the bar? Still trying to figure out that one.

much more of a challenge to wrap around the top assembly compared to the bottom
Old 05-25-23, 08:38 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by t2p
I've never found it particularly challenging...Hence the question.

'Course, on my hydro disc brake bike, I use Brooks Cambium Rubber bar tape, which is its own special hell as it has no stretch. So I wouldn't notice any difficulty with the brake hoses.
Old 05-25-23, 08:49 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

ignoring the obvious attempt to make it look complicated by posting an exploded diagram rather than two comparable photos … how is this harder? it attaches to the bar in the same way and is a similar shape at the wrapping interface, just a little thicker.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.