Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feeling my age

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Feeling my age

Old 01-08-20, 05:44 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I started feeling my age in my early thirties when I first started going to a gym.

BEFORE: I just did stuff --> backpacking, cycling, soccer, hockey, skiing, plus some related excersising. I had some muscle soreness, at times, but it quickly dissipated.

THEN: at 30+ I realized the soreness never fades.

SOON: I started to miss being muscle-sore on days that I wasn't.

NOW: I'm 66 and being a little muscle-sore makes me feel normal and content

Last edited by BigAura; 01-08-20 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 06:02 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
NEVER! I went to a cardiologist today for a stress test and she had that same puzzled look on her face as every other cardio has. He's 65, a little overweight, but the treadmill doesn't stress him and he's cracking jokes through it all. She stopped it at 132bpm, and that's below my average while riding for hours on end. I told her I do a harder stress test almost every day. While waiting I was looking at my max HR for the last bunch of rides and one showed as 193, but that couldn't be. It was just my HR strap jumping around while it got started, it was still over 170 at some point on that ride. 187 is the max in the last year.

So no, I don't feel my age.