Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Squeaky brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 06:19 PM
paramountx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squeaky brakes

Hi, so I decided to try to fix up a bike I found as a project. The brakes are squeaky pretty bad. Some fixes I understand are to be, cleaning the surfaces, making sure pads it's not glazed over, toe check. And maybe I need new pads; can you tell from this picture if my pads are worn and how do you know and which pads I can replace them with
Old 10-05-21, 06:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Plenty of meat there. file and sand. Hold off on new pads until you find out how much other parts and $$$ it needs to make everything else functional. Don't need to drop $150 into a $50 bike.
Old 10-05-21, 08:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
The LH pad (as seen in the photo) might have a wear ledge along it's bottom rear. There's a different shading to that spot. This wear is pretty common as when the pad is allowed to not contact the rim fully the part that isn't touching won't wear but the rest will (and sooner as there's less surface to do the same work). In time these ledges can cause the pad to catch on and be held by the rim, brake rub results.

Otherwise I agree with dedhed in that the pads still have miles to go as far as thickness goes. Deglaze the pads and even up their surfaces then readjust the pads/brake. BTW old pads are less effective ar stopping even if they are unused the old compound will loose it's grippiness. Andy
Old 10-05-21, 10:56 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Even though there's plenty of life left in those, I'd get new pads anyway. The longer, salmon-colored Kool-Stop or Yokozuna V-brake pads just do a better job of stopping than those rock-hard OEM ones.

Old 10-06-21, 06:12 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
One of the best mitigations against linear pull brake squeak or squeal is properly toeing the pads, so the front of the pad contacts the rim before the rear of the pad does. Park Tool has some great instructional materials on this.

You should be able to sand down and de-glaze the original pads, but they're still likely hardened from age and environmental exposure, and your brake action will still likely be just marginal. I second the suggestion to invest in a set of Kool-Stops. Any threaded post brake pad should work for you. I recommend the Thinline model for best tire clearance (when trying to remove the wheel from the bike).
Old 10-06-21, 08:03 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
While agree new Kool stops are the answer, looking at the picture, those are low end brake arms indicating the bike is likely a big box BSO. Throwing $20-30 worth of Kool stops into it BEFORE it's determined it needs another $100 worth of tires/cables/chain/RD etc is a bad investment at this point.
Assess the whole bike's needs and price out parts needed before purchasing anything.
Old 10-06-21, 08:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I never had or used cantilever brakes, but isn't the front of the pad supposed to touch first on them. Maybe it's just because these are open and the arm is hanging out of alignment, but looks to me like the rear of the right pad (left side of photo) is going to touch first.

There have been a couple threads in the past where the OP said once they got the correct toe in, then the squealing stopped.
Old 10-06-21, 08:38 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 433 Posts
Learned something new - I thought the rear of the pads were supposed to touch first. When mine squeal I set them up this way. Seems to work (braking is good and no squeal), but next time I will try setting them so the front of the pad touches first.

Mark
Old 10-06-21, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by msalvetti
Learned something new - I thought the rear of the pads were supposed to touch first. When mine squeal I set them up this way. Seems to work (braking is good and no squeal), but next time I will try setting them so the front of the pad touches first.

Mark
Remember this part of what I said....
I never had or used cantilever brakes,
So I might be incorrect. If you haven't gone and found out from reputable sources how they should be adjusted, then I might be telling it wrong. I'm just going by memory of old posts.
Old 10-06-21, 10:13 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
The pad toe is applicable to most types of rim brakes. You want the front of the pad to touch first...the forward motion of the rim will want to pull the pad forward and rotate it towards straight, which engages the rear of the pad. Setting the pads to where they're dead parallel with the rims often induces squeal because the rim will try to pull the pads forward and rotate them away from parallel, which starts this harmonic where the rear of the pad is gripping and slipping as it's binding in the system.

Imagine dragging a shoe along the ground as you ride the bike. If you angle it up in the front, to where the rear drags, it'll drag along smoothly as you pull it. If you angle it up in the back, to where the front contacts first, it'll sort of skip and jump along the pavement. That skipping and jumping is exactly what happens with brake shoes that that noise/harmonic manifests itself as squeal.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-06-21, 10:14 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Iride01
So I might be incorrect.
You are correct. The "toe" of the pad should hit before the "heel."

The OP, it seems, understands this:
Originally Posted by paramountx
Some fixes I understand are to be, cleaning the surfaces, making sure pads it's not glazed over, toe check.
Old 10-06-21, 10:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Rolla
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
So I might be incorrect.
You are correct. The "toe" of the pad should hit before the "heel."
The OP, it seems, understands this:
Originally Posted by paramountx View Post
Some fixes I understand are to be, cleaning the surfaces, making sure pads it's not glazed over, toe check.
I just wouldn't assume because it's mentioned that it's being performed correctly. There have been plenty of threads in the past where the OP or another claimed to be toe'ing in their pads. But they were toe'ing in the wrong direction.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-06-21, 02:37 PM
Rolla