Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is an ideal bike setup for trail climbing?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-21, 08:08 PM
Dr1v3n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I like to ride on trails (currently I use a gravel bike, not a mountain bike). Many of the trails around here have tons of inclines, some of which are quite steep as they are not required to have some nice grades like the paved roads. I enjoy them, but there are some times where the grade is so steep (probably around 35%+), that even in my lowest gear, I come to a stop and have to hop off the saddle and walk it for a while. The thing is, I really enjoy climbing, but last time I "overdid" it and had some serious glute and back pain after grinding up against a hill and having to hop off 4-5 times, even in lowest gear. The hill Im referring to was actually so steep that I had to lean over the front of the bars in order to prevent the front wheel from popping up on me.

I've never even remotely come close to this occurring during ANY road biking - never had to hop off on a road hill nor have I had this type of pain.

This occurred on a Giant Revolt Advanced that has 32/48, 11x34 and 700x44C WTB Raddlers on it for tires. Amazingly, the tires didn't slip, but my legs did lol.

This got me wondering, would it be possible to set the bike up, or get a bike that is more specific to the task of climbing on dirt trails like this? I imagine first step would be to get even lower gear ratio. Climbing on trails is actually my favorite part of biking... I don't know if I'm a masochist or what but that's a big reason I don't do MTB - I like going up better than down.
Old 10-13-21, 08:43 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Yeah, lower gearing. There’s scope for that; get a MTB crank with a 24 or 26 on the inside.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 10-13-21, 08:46 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Modern geometry mountain bikes are good at keeping the front wheel down when climbing. I'd say a modern geo, yet no suspension, mtb.
Likes For katsup:
Old 10-13-21, 08:53 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Yep. Mountain biking and climbing are not mutually exclusive, current trends notwithstanding. A good modern xc bike will serve the op far better than a gravel bike for the riding he describes.
Old 10-14-21, 01:49 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I have Giant Revolt Advanced 2. It works well up to about 15 to 20%. I put on 40 rear cassette which helped with the effort but then it's hard to keep the front wheel down. Down hill is no joy on the drop bars above -20%. I still love my gravel bike because I can ride on the road for 30+ miles hit gravel then back on to the road for the 30+ miles.

I want to buy a mount bike but it seems like a mount bike is so limited. Have drive your bike all they way out to some remote place that has steep hills with enough dirt/gravel to make it worth it. I don't want go up and down the same two or three hills etc...

90% of the time my gravel bike has my road wheel set on them. There's just way more roads to ride on vs gravel/dirt.
Old 10-14-21, 06:11 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts

An Eagle drivetrain will solve that.
Old 10-14-21, 11:51 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr1v3n
I like to ride on trails (currently I use a gravel bike, not a mountain bike). Many of the trails around here have tons of inclines, some of which are quite steep as they are not required to have some nice grades like the paved roads. I enjoy them, but there are some times where the grade is so steep (probably around 35%+), that even in my lowest gear, I come to a stop and have to hop off the saddle and walk it for a while. The thing is, I really enjoy climbing, but last time I "overdid" it and had some serious glute and back pain after grinding up against a hill and having to hop off 4-5 times, even in lowest gear. The hill Im referring to was actually so steep that I had to lean over the front of the bars in order to prevent the front wheel from popping up on me.

If you get the bike that can get you up a 35%+ grade, you should consider climbing competitions
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 10-16-21, 12:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Since you are talking about 35% grade on dirt, there are a couple of pieces to this… gear inches and lowest possible speed that can be maintained.

From other less steep climbs that you can barely make, what is the lowest possible speed before you lose too much bike stability?

Can you climb at 3 mph, or 2, or 4, without fighting the bike to keep it upright?

Once you figure out the slowest you can go, you can use a gear inch calculator to give you the gearing you need to get there.

But you might not be able to get to that ratio without major drivetrain changes and maybe you just need to get stronger first

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 10-16-21 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-16-21, 12:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
For serious trail riding and hill climbing I use a singlespeed MTB with 2 : 1 gear ratio
Old 10-17-21, 07:42 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
Funny, I set a bike up just for this. 42/34/24 triple and 11-32 in the back. Rolling in 35mm cyclocross knobby tires. It’s a lot of fun on the local mountain bike trails.