Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Kurt Kinetic Trainer Advice

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 07:14 AM
Newbiepuke

Bikes: Trek 7.3 Fx Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am considering the following:

Rock n Roll
Rock n Roll (2) - the newer version is smaller and has a few other advantages
Road Machine

Also, considering the "Pro" version for the more realistic ride. The additional flywheel can be added for around $100 - I think!

The overall cost isn't my primary concern but always a consideration and the price just dropped on the RnR version. I want a setup that we can use for years and offer a realistic ride and be a great trainer. The goal would be to remain in bike shape over the winter while also burning calories and staying fit overall.

We are both small - 160 and 109 pounds, both early 50's. I appreciate any advice I get!!
Old 07-11-14, 07:47 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
I have had a Kurt Kinetic for several years. It's a beast.

If you are casual riders, you can get a couple basic fluid trainers for about the price of one KK...
Try Nashbar and Performance Bike.

If you are serious riders, and don't mind spending several hundred, by all means, go for it.

I'd call Kurt and ask if you can order it new with the big flywheel. Personally, I think that's a good idea.
I like the idea of rocking, but it's a ton of money.

In recent years, the trainer market has gone niche. Spend some time googling the options. I don't know
how well they work, but some make like a video game and you can have a virtual race. Trainers are deadly boring,
and I think that would be great.

I have tried a couple KK power meters, and sent both back. They may have improved, but check the reviews carefully.
Old 07-17-14, 02:49 PM
Newbiepuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm possibly changing direction.

I'm now thinking about a spinning bike - Sole SB700 to be specific.
Old 07-17-14, 04:13 PM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Newbiepuke
I'm possibly changing direction.

I'm now thinking about a spinning bike - Sole SB700 to be specific.
I'd never opt for a spinning bike over a trainer. With the trainer you have the proper fit, easy resistance control through your shifters, and (with a good trainer like the KK) the ability to consistently reach a specific power output. The spinner might take slightly less floor space, but that's the only pro I can see.
Old 07-17-14, 04:26 PM
Newbiepuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. That why I come here for advice from those who know better.

I like the idea of not having two bikes in the basement all winter and set up seems simpler on the spin bike. Also, there is less wear and tear on the bike and I won't need to buy new tires. That being said, from a few things I've read here I believe most agree with you.

Oh well - I have a few months to decide. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-18-14, 05:30 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wear and tear? A bike is a piece of sports equipment. A tool, not a jewel.

The main advantage of a trainer is that you're still riding the bike you're used to. If you buy a spin bike, you'll be hard pressed to duplicate the position of the saddle and bars relative to your bike.

When it comes to trainers...you get what you pay for. You buy a cheap one, they ride like crap. If it rides like crap, you won't ride it at all. Invest in a KK.
Old 07-18-14, 07:07 AM
Newbiepuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simonaway427
Wear and tear? A bike is a piece of sports equipment. A tool, not a jewel.

The main advantage of a trainer is that you're still riding the bike you're used to. If you buy a spin bike, you'll be hard pressed to duplicate the position of the saddle and bars relative to your bike.

When it comes to trainers...you get what you pay for. You buy a cheap one, they ride like crap. If it rides like crap, you won't ride it at all. Invest in a KK.

I totally agree with the idea of buying good equipment. Trainers and spinners are not fun so buy quality and increase your odds of using it.
Old 07-18-14, 07:21 AM
DBA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently have a KK RM. It's a good workout. Be aware though....trainers are boring as hell. I find that about 45 minutes on it is my max.
If you are like me, you might want to consider one of the electronic trainers on the market. Performance Bike sells 2 or 3 under the Axiom name I believe. These hook up to your computer and you can watch videos that match the resistance you feel. The resistance changes with the "terrain" on the video and you can buy other videos to vary your workouts. I had one of the mid level for about 6 years before it finally gave out. The price aint cheap, but I am thinking about getting one again. Makes for a much more entertaining hour or more on the bike when you can't ride outdoors.
Old 07-18-14, 07:50 AM
Newbiepuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DBA
I currently have a KK RM. It's a good workout. Be aware though....trainers are boring as hell. I find that about 45 minutes on it is my max.
If you are like me, you might want to consider one of the electronic trainers on the market. Performance Bike sells 2 or 3 under the Axiom name I believe. These hook up to your computer and you can watch videos that match the resistance you feel. The resistance changes with the "terrain" on the video and you can buy other videos to vary your workouts. I had one of the mid level for about 6 years before it finally gave out. The price aint cheap, but I am thinking about getting one again. Makes for a much more entertaining hour or more on the bike when you can't ride outdoors.

Thanks - any idea of the price? I don't mind the one time investments as opposed to the monthly fees of a fitness center.
Old 07-18-14, 07:54 AM
DBA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - any idea of the price? I don't mind the one time investments as opposed to the monthly fees of a fitness center.
They aren't cheap...you can sometimes find them on sale. It's the "RealAxiom" branded stuff.
https://www.performancebike.com/webap...ey=https:mIndex
Old 07-18-14, 01:52 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
A KK or other durable fluid trainer paired with either a Trainer Road subscription (I think that's the one) or the complete series of Sufferfest videos will keep you busy for an entire winter if the videos inspire you to work hard.
Old 01-08-15, 12:28 PM
Newbiepuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did buy the KK rock and roll 2 and 4 sufferfest videos so far! I LOVE the trainer and the videos are pretty damn good as well! Thx for the help all!
Old 01-08-15, 02:08 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I did buy the KK rock and roll 2 and 4 sufferfest videos so far! I LOVE the trainer and the videos are pretty damn good as well! Thx for the help all!
Give it a few more months and you'll be over THAT...
Old 01-08-15, 02:34 PM
Newbiepuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL. Good point!!!

I have done P90X 5-6 X a week for over 5 years so I have stuck with it ... however, I do have a Sole Elliptical that is collecting dust.

The trainer is kind of hellish but I do hope I can stick with it until Spring. I don't yet find it boring - I just find it damn tough when combined with Sufferfest. I'm soaking wet after 30 minutes.
Old 01-08-15, 03:49 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
It is good to read it is working out for you. If you are drenched after a half hour of the Sufferfest you are doing it right! Fun stuff.
Old 01-08-15, 06:19 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Unless your ready to hand over 1k for a Wahoo Kicker I really feel that the Kinetic is the best of the bunch when it comes to fluid trainers. Get yourself a Gamin speed sensor and a ANT+ dongle for your computer and your all set. You can then join Trainerroad for a nominal fee and either use their power training programs or for a bit more entertainment you can overlay Trainerroad over the Sufferfest videos. I find that a 1 hour session goes by in a flash and a 2 hour session is not all that terribly miserable.
Old 01-09-15, 07:10 AM
Newbiepuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'd sooner wake up next to Rosie O'Donnell then do 2 hours of Sufferfest ... but if I keep trainer 2X a week I may give it a shot by Spring.

Anyone have Rosie's number?
Old 01-15-15, 03:39 PM
Bluecoupe

Bikes: Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod, Scott Foil 30, Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you end up getting the pro wheel as well? I have the older rock and roll and have been thinking about getting the pro wheel.