Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Has Tern fixed their problem with the frames breaking? I want a Verge S8i

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-08-16, 12:04 AM
TheChosenOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Has Tern fixed their problem with the frames breaking? I read that the problem was bad and people have been injured because the frame snapped in half with no warning. I want the Tern Verge S8i really bad because it seems like the perfect bike for me. Compact enough, belt drive for low maintenance, etc. If there is still a problem with Tern bikes then I would have to pass up my dream bike. All I need is a folder that is compact, with a belt drive, fast, comfortable, low maintenece, and I can ride for distances of 5-50 miles daily. I looked at Montague bikes but they are not compact even though it is classified as a folder. Feels are too big and I wouldn't be able to take it to the bus or subway. I would get a Brompton or Bike Friday but I heard they aren't good for long distances.
Old 10-08-16, 12:08 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Old 10-08-16, 07:39 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Who knows. It probably depends on the month they were made. Roger
Old 10-08-16, 07:49 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Downtube mini instead?
Old 10-08-16, 01:27 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhkyte
Downtube mini instead?

How is their reputation? I don't know anything about bikes. We can only buy it on their site? I am okay with that but just curious cause I don't see any dealer section on their site. Also best belt drive? Looks like we gotta choose before ordering. Also seems pretty cheap, are the parts good?

Shimano Nexus Hub and Gates Belt drive 16 wheel folding bike
Old 10-08-16, 02:31 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
I would get a Brompton or Bike Friday but I heard they aren't good for long distances.
Haven't ridden my Bike Friday more than about 125 miles/day, but it seemed fine for that distance.
Old 10-08-16, 02:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
Has Tern fixed their problem with the frames breaking? I read that the problem was bad and people have been injured because the frame snapped in half with no warning. I want the Tern Verge S8i really bad because it seems like the perfect bike for me. .
This seems extremely contradictory. You know they have problems, yet you're desperate to have one.

Bikes aren't magic, and no bike has such a lock on unique features that there isn't a suitable alternative. So consider options.

1- wheel size is wheel size, so if you want a 20" wheel for compactness that sets the ball park. All 20" wheels will ride pretty similarly, though tire choice will make some difference.

2- suitability for distance is only partly set by wheel size, but having limited yourself to 20" then it's a question of gearing, and you have options with many brands

3- belt drive is another limiting consideration, and will call for an internal geared hub. The number of gears you'll want depends on the terrain, but there are plenty of options. Since you mentioned 8s, use that as a guide, but keep your options open if you don't really need that much.

So you want a 20" belt drive 8s folder. I believe a quick search will find a few that meet all these criteria. If not, consider what you can live without.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-08-16, 03:17 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
See the FAQ about long distance on a folder. Any folder will do long distance as long as you are comfortable and with suitable gearing.
Old 10-08-16, 07:28 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
Downtube mini instead?
Downtube Mini will definitely be the bike to get. And their rep is fantastic. The owner is a member of this forum,...
Old 10-09-16, 02:14 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Downtube Mini will definitely be the bike to get. And their rep is fantastic. The owner is a member of this forum,...
I have owned two Downtubes. No complaints for the money.
Solid bikes.
Likes For bhkyte:
Old 10-09-16, 06:28 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
I have owned two Downtubes. No complaints for the money.
Solid bikes.
A Downtube will be my next bike,...
Old 10-10-16, 12:14 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks for the positive words!!!

Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 10-11-16, 09:57 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
first S 8 I was built in 2016 that's like 3 years past the problem bikes. I sold several and the owners love them
Old 10-11-16, 12:15 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
... I think most regular members of this forum would agree that Thor intention was to be deceitful. ...
I am a regular member of this forum. I do not think Thor's intention was to be deceitful.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 10-11-16, 12:15 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sold and made are two different shoes ....
you as a manufacturer should know that

about being deceitful ... maybe you should really think before you say stuff like that.
Old 10-11-16, 12:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
I think we should get back to trying to help the OP find a bike that meets his needs and stop this character assassination bfore the Mods decide to get involved and end up closing the thread.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-11-16, 11:40 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
first S 8 I was built in 2016 that's like 3 years past the problem bikes. I sold several and the owners love them

I am a complete bike virgin and don't know anything about bikes. On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate it? Like I said I'm gonna ride the bike anywhere from 5-30+ miles per day. Can it be outfitted with an ebike kit? I might want an ebike in the future that can go 40-50+ miles on a full charge but I'd rather not spend money on another bike. From what I hear the $2,100 price tag for the S8i is great especially with it having a belt drive. Did they added cheaper, not so good parts to make it the price that it is or are all the parts good? I am thinking about getting a Birdy, 2017 E Joe Spik SE or Verge S8i. One bike that is super high quality from what I hear, an E Bike right from the start so I won't have to worry about adding a ebike kit in the future and a bike with a belt drive for low maintenance. Other people can offer opinions on this too.
Old 10-12-16, 01:38 AM
WCycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want electric, consider their upcoming Bosch bike:

(at interbike)
Old 10-12-16, 08:13 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The S8 I has excellent other components, Its not just adding a belt drive to an otherwise substandard bike. The frame and fork is different than the other Terns as well. Its one thing to take one expensive item, like the belt drive and slap it on a bike with steel cranks and lousy wheels,or design a bike from the ground up where all parts work in unisom. Not always easy to do, especially if you want to hit pricepoints. This bike is expensive with an asking price over 2000 dlr, it better delivers in my opinion. It has SHimano deore Disc brakes for example, yes one could buy some for half the price, but it would just not be right, it has a generator hub and led lighting, big fat big apples with fenders and an awesome carrier.

Ebike. Sure, everything is possible .....
Bionix cost is 1800 and u loose the rear hub ... not good now u need to buy a derraileur and don't have the same gear ratios , plus u loose the belt drive
front hub motor ... the fork is strong enough ,but you loose the generator hub ....
only viable option would be a mid drive kit ... I don't know about a good aftermarket bolt on kit

The Tern electron will be available in early spring with bosh motor will be 3400 dlr and would be worth it . The Link d7i with mid motor kit is 2000 dlr , but its not as nice as the S8 1 .....

What I am saying is, if you like an ebike, it would be more money to upgrade later than to wait and get the complete Bosch bike ...

Hope that helped a little.
Old 10-12-16, 04:49 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
The S8 I has excellent other components, Its not just adding a belt drive to an otherwise substandard bike. The frame and fork is different than the other Terns as well. Its one thing to take one expensive item, like the belt drive and slap it on a bike with steel cranks and lousy wheels,or design a bike from the ground up where all parts work in unisom. Not always easy to do, especially if you want to hit pricepoints. This bike is expensive with an asking price over 2000 dlr, it better delivers in my opinion. It has SHimano deore Disc brakes for example, yes one could buy some for half the price, but it would just not be right, it has a generator hub and led lighting, big fat big apples with fenders and an awesome carrier.

Ebike. Sure, everything is possible .....
Bionix cost is 1800 and u loose the rear hub ... not good now u need to buy a derraileur and don't have the same gear ratios , plus u loose the belt drive
front hub motor ... the fork is strong enough ,but you loose the generator hub ....
only viable option would be a mid drive kit ... I don't know about a good aftermarket bolt on kit

The Tern electron will be available in early spring with bosh motor will be 3400 dlr and would be worth it . The Link d7i with mid motor kit is 2000 dlr , but its not as nice as the S8 1 .....

What I am saying is, if you like an ebike, it would be more money to upgrade later than to wait and get the complete Bosch bike ...

Hope that helped a little.

Thanks, this post helped. I remember a couple weeks ago I saw a video saying they were going to put it on Kickstarter and it will be cheaper than $3,400 but I don't see it launched yet. Do they plan on doing that soon? Also has it been renamed the Vektron? I don't see the Elektron on their site any more but I do see Vektron

Last edited by TheChosenOne; 10-12-16 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-12-16, 07:07 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yup I hear you ... I think they will do kickstarter, don't know how that works with the dealers, as you should get plenty of help from a dealer later on, just in case. Bosch certifies dealers and give them tools to customize, troubleshoot any problems with the system. Just saying ...

yup its now called Vektron :-)

they can call it anything , its such a great bike
Old 10-12-16, 11:23 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I "test rode" the Electron/Vektron this weekend. Using parentheses because it was at a e-bike show so test rides had to be done in laughably bad and tiny enclosed course. My nearby e-bike store has a sample to test ride for the next couple of weeks and claims to start selling it in December. They also didn't know anything about the kickstarter campaign. So I'm not sure how accurate their Tern info is. I do know they will start carrying Tern bikes. And that means I can do a real test ride with the Vektron. There are some hilly streets around the store so it'll be great to test how good the bike goes up hills.

So I can't say much about the Vektron's ride but it does fold up and roll well--when the magnets stay together. But a velcro strap may be enough to keep it folded and rolling.

I also test rode the Orbea Katu-E, which is a 20 inch mini-velo. That one was intriguing though I'm not sure it's easy to find in the US. Again, not enough of a test ride to assess much, but I really liked the look of it.
Old 04-15-17, 06:57 PM
mkatz

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
I "test rode" the Electron/Vektron this weekend. Using parentheses because it was at a e-bike show so test rides had to be done in laughably bad and tiny enclosed course. My nearby e-bike store has a sample to test ride for the next couple of weeks and claims to start selling it in December. They also didn't know anything about the kickstarter campaign. So I'm not sure how accurate their Tern info is. I do know they will start carrying Tern bikes. And that means I can do a real test ride with the Vektron. There are some hilly streets around the store so it'll be great to test how good the bike goes up hills.

So I can't say much about the Vektron's ride but it does fold up and roll well--when the magnets stay together. But a velcro strap may be enough to keep it folded and rolling.

I also test rode the Orbea Katu-E, which is a 20 inch mini-velo. That one was intriguing though I'm not sure it's easy to find in the US. Again, not enough of a test ride to assess much, but I really liked the look of it.
Have you taken that longer test ride? If so, I'd enjoy hearing about it.
Old 04-16-17, 09:21 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Pretty good general overview video on
Old 04-16-17, 08:11 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mkatz
Have you taken that longer test ride? If so, I'd enjoy hearing about it.
Nope. Logistically, I can't house an e-bike so I've stopped looking into them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.