Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Curl i11 (aftermarket)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon Curl i11 (aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 09:49 PM
gataddhin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I asked Santa to send me one of this humped bikes for my Christmas present

But he sent me this beautiful humped bike

Hahaha.
Old 01-07-18, 09:53 PM
gataddhin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photobombed by the resort owner's pet

Old 01-08-18, 11:30 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Interestingly enough, Brompton's principals have stated in numerous interviews over the last couple of years that they're planning on doubling factory production to 100,000 bikes/year by ~2021 and exporting 50,000 of those bikes a year to China, where Dahon's main factory is located and where Dahon has something like 200 company owned stores.

Also interesting, it wasn't until after Brompton's announcement that Dahon quit diddling around with the Curl concept, abandoned what I thought was a more interesting and unarguably more original design and popped out a folding bike that didn't curl as the Curl.

The question is, what will Brompton do to compete with dozens of interpretations of Andrew Ritchie's design in the China market?
I do not think that Brompton and Dahon are in any practical competition in China. Both Dahon and Brompton are well above price range that a typical Chinese will want to spend on a folding bike and Brompton is practically in outer space. Dahon is an upgrade in terms of quality compared to typical, that someone better off might go for. Brompton is a status symbol in terms of price and origin that someone very well off might buy and where Dahon does not compete. Far more serious competition for Dahon, I think, is Giant. While folding bikes are a bit of a margin for Giant, they have far more stores than Dahon and so someone wanting an upgrade might stray there.

Neither Dahon nor Brompton have a strong market penetration in China in terms of percentage. It is just the size of the country and common bike use that makes it an important market. I spend about one moth per year in China and I saw Brompton once in the street, when a customer was bringing the bike to a Brompton dealer. Dahons are obviously more difficult to notice than Bromptons but you sense their presence in that minor folding brands want to look like Dahons. By comparison, if you want to see a Tesla, in many areas of China you just look to the adjacent lane.

I think that both the share and electric bike developments throw a wrench into any development plans for folding bike industry. Maybe acceleration with Curl has more to do with the fact that the market might not tolerate anymore just coasting.
Old 01-08-18, 01:37 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting read.... Curl right now is not in the planning to be electrified. We are happy actually to get a handful of 8 speeds Anni version in. Got a few 3 speeds already. These are just the very beginning, hence they will be like a needle in a haystack for a while.
And yes the Curl has a higher weight limit than all other Dahons
Old 01-08-18, 01:57 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Interestingly enough, Brompton's principals have stated in numerous interviews over the last couple of years that they're planning on doubling factory production to 100,000 bikes/year by ~2021 and exporting 50,000 of those bikes a year to China, where Dahon's main factory is located and where Dahon has something like 200 company owned stores.
"​Folding bike manufacturer Brompton saw its turnover rise 15 per cent in its latest financial year despite the number of bikes it sold remaining static for the third year running – a situation it hopes will be rectified as its new electric-bike hits the market in the coming months."

Brompton turnover up sharply in 2016/17 despite flat volumes | road.cc
Old 01-08-18, 02:26 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Maybe to add, at the monetary level Dahons are significantly cheaper in China than in US (though direct comparison may be hampered by differences in model specifications) and foreign folding bikes (Brompton, Bike Friday, Moulton) are more expensive by 20% or so. Details may vary as exchange rates move.
Old 01-10-18, 03:51 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
And yes the Curl has a higher weight limit than all other Dahons
Correct me if I'm wrong,...but isn't the actual weight limit supposed to be around 280lbs/127kgs? That sounds pretty solid to me,... I'm just not willing to spend the same $$$ for a 3 speed Dahon that I would if I'd wanted a Brompton. The pricing is ridiculous!
Old 01-10-18, 02:42 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
Correct me if I'm wrong,...but isn't the actual weight limit supposed to be around 280lbs/127kgs? That sounds pretty solid to me,... I'm just not willing to spend the same $$$ for a 3 speed Dahon that I would if I'd wanted a Brompton. The pricing is ridiculous!

you right I usually am a little conservative ..lol
and in the US we have only a few 3 speeds, they were stranglers from old orders I suppose... if they are gone there will be no more 3 speed. We do get 8 speeds same as anniversary model just without the nameplate on them. But also only a handful or two three.... they should evaporate pretty quickly... Than later in the year we will get only 8 speeds in regular color... but not firm yet ...

Even with 8 speeds I would love to sell that bike for less , no doubt in that regards ( and many others ) I agree wit TDS... but than I would love to sell all bikes for much less :-)
Old 01-11-18, 07:20 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by ThorUSA
you right I usually am a little conservative ..lol
and in the US we have only a few 3 speeds, they were stranglers from old orders I suppose... if they are gone there will be no more 3 speed. We do get 8 speeds same as anniversary model just without the nameplate on them. But also only a handful or two three.... they should evaporate pretty quickly... Than later in the year we will get only 8 speeds in regular color... but not firm yet ...

Even with 8 speeds I would love to sell that bike for less , no doubt in that regards ( and many others ) I agree wit TDS... but than I would love to sell all bikes for much less :-)
I think I'll just take my Dahon Speed P8 to my LBS today. I'm having a wheel built,...8 speed IGH, hopefully trigger shifter. I just need to see if it'll be Shimano or Sturmey-Archer (Sun). I hate derailleurs!
Old 01-11-18, 07:26 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The 8 speed IGH on one of my Dahon's isn't wide enough ratios for me. I use it as a loaner...
Old 01-11-18, 07:33 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Rick Imby
The 8 speed IGH on one of my Dahon's isn't wide enough ratios for me. I use it as a loaner...
For me, it'll be fine as my commuter. This way, when the weather warms back up come springtime, I'll have a straight chainline bike to ride. I'm ALWAYS having issues with anything BUT a single cog/sprocket bike. And heading the 3 miles to the LIRR train in the mourning is mostly uphill,...with 1 BIG hill. I work outdoors, doing heavy work,...I don't like getting to my job already wasted.

I have no issues with the gearing on my Nexus 8 speed cruiser, so I'll be all set with this. I know exactly what to expect,...and I'm impatiently waiting for spring to arrive!!!

Besides, we had that discussion about that loaner bike,...
Old 01-15-19, 09:46 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Sorry for the necromantic thread resurrection, but has anyone actually tried this mod? How the heck did they fit this on the narrower frame?
Old 01-15-19, 06:03 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalato
Sorry for the necromantic thread resurrection...

Oh, you know Bike Forums - resurrect an old thread, and it's 'Why didn't you start a new one?' Start a new thread and it's 'We've discussed that. Why didn't you search the archives?'

How the heck did they fit this on the narrower frame?

It just so happened I had an Alfine 11 loafing around the shop, so I pulled the rear wheel of my Curl and tried to fit the big hub. Short answer: beats me how they got it in there, and I wonder if that was a totally working example.

Spring the Curl's 130mm OLD rear triangle apart? Make me laugh. The little bike is seriously, not foolin' around heck for stout.

How about the 135mm OLD hub, though? Well, the Alfine 11 has been produced in 371 iterations over the last 9 years, so maybe there's a version you can take 5mm off the OLD. On the individual hub I had available, it would have involved doing without the left cone lock nut (doesn't sound like a good idea) & machining the hub a bit, but even then the hub's on-board rotary shift mechanism interfered with the chain slack taker-upper subassembly on my Curl.

However, the Alfine 11's rotary shift isn't so very different from the Nexus 8, and the Curl is offered in a version with the Shimano 8-speed hub. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that my cursory look didn't produce an affirmative answer. Note: the banned for life, not welcome here Thor could probably definitively answer this question with straight from the factory's mouth information.
Old 01-15-19, 10:34 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks @tcs. Much appreciated.
Old 01-16-19, 01:33 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
@Lalato thanks for resurrecting this thread. Made me look at the FB pictures and I spotted this one.

Just last night I was working on my Dahon Speed and thought it is missing a head badge and it could really use a head badge! Now I have something to pattern one on!

Too bad that originally the thread turned contentious.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.