Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SPD power meter

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SPD power meter

Old 07-23-21, 10:13 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Bikes: Raleigh 2015 Revenio 1.0, 2021 Canyon Endurace AL Disc 6.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
SPD power meter

Does anyone know if Garmin Rally XC200 is the only power meter for MTB shoes? I know there are more options for road power meters but I'm already used to MTB and I feel like it might take me longer to get used to clip and unclip with road pedals. I'm looking to getting a power meter as my first upgrade. Should I invest in learning road pedals? Is there a difference? Will I know the difference between MTB pedals and road pedals? Since I have two bikes one for trainer and road. I plan to put road pedals on my trainer so I can get used to them. That is how I learn to get used to the MTB on my bike. Please any suggestions. I started working out starting with elliptical in June 2020 then cycling in December 2020 and since then I've lost 43 lbs. I am planning to start running
Likes For Geo_Zegarra2016:
Old 07-23-21, 10:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Congratulations on the weight loss!

I used SPD pedals for many years, switched to Keo ones to run power meter pedals. Clipping in and out feels slightly different but it isn't the kind of thing that takes getting used to. 🙂

You have a lot of options that don't involve pedals, like the hub or crank.
Old 07-23-21, 10:23 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Congratulations on the weight loss!

I used SPD pedals for many years, switched to Keo ones to run power meter pedals. Clipping in and out feels slightly different but it isn't the kind of thing that takes getting used to. 🙂

You have a lot of options that don't involve pedals, like the hub or crank.
Thank you! It was a lot of patience but is definitely paying off. Feel better than ever and I'm so happy to have a lifestyle change. At the age 25, I'm feeling better than ever Do you say clipping out during a hill is challenging?
Likes For Geo_Zegarra2016:
Old 07-23-21, 10:42 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
There are road pedals that clip in and out very easily, especially if you turn the release force adjustment way down. But some people just like the dual sided MTB pedals. I don’t think you’ll have a hard time getting used to a new model.

You’re taking a very wise approach. On your idea to start running, I say “ awesome!” You’ll probably find the riding and running compliment each other nicely. My one piece of advice here is to take it slow. You always hear this, but it bears repeating: don’t get in a hurry to turn up the intensity or distance. Start at a mile or two, be patient and consistent, and only increase your distance by about 10% each week.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-23-21, 10:47 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
There are road pedals that clip in and out very easily, especially if you turn the release force adjustment way down. But some people just like the dual sided MTB pedals. I don’t think you’ll have a hard time getting used to a new model.

You’re taking a very wise approach. On your idea to start running, I say “ awesome!” You’ll probably find the riding and running compliment each other nicely. My one piece of advice here is to take it slow. You always hear this, but it bears repeating: don’t get in a hurry to turn up the intensity or distance. Start at a mile or two, be patient and consistent, and only increase your distance by about 10% each week.
Thank you! I am planning to run to my dad's job which is two miles back and forth. So about four miles in total. Not sure if that is a lot for a first-timer. The only reason for starting running is because I am planning on doing an 80-mile ride before I leave for grad school in the last week of August. So I hope running does help me. I also want to keep getting fit because is now my new lifestlye. So I don't want to lose everything I've worked for so hard. Today, a MEDIUM shirt fit me.
Old 07-23-21, 11:49 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Originally Posted by Geo_Zegarra2016
Does anyone know if Garmin Rally XC200 is the only power meter for MTB shoes?

Pretty much, yeah. There's also the SRM X-Power SPD pedals but they cost a LOAD more.

You could go down the Assioma SPD hack/bodge route, but the Rallys are I think the only off-the-shelf option worth considering.
Old 07-24-21, 12:05 AM
Seattle Forrest

Thank you! I am planning to run to my dad's job which is two miles back and forth. So about four miles in total. Not sure if that is a lot for a first-timer. The only reason for starting running is because I am planning on doing an 80-mile ride before I leave for grad school in the last week of August. So I hope running does help me. I also want to keep getting fit because is now my new lifestlye. So I don't want to lose everything I've worked for so hard. Today, a MEDIUM shirt fit me.
Look into Couch to 5k. You're probably already fit enough to run a mile or two but the connective tissue in your joints needs time to adapt to the impact of running.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-24-21, 06:57 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Does anyone know if Garmin Rally XC200 is the only power meter for MTB shoes? I know there are more options for road power meters but I'm already used to MTB and I feel like it might take me longer to get used to clip and unclip with road pedals. I'm looking to getting a power meter as my first upgrade. Should I invest in learning road pedals? Is there a difference? Will I know the difference between MTB pedals and road pedals? Since I have two bikes one for trainer and road. I plan to put road pedals on my trainer so I can get used to them. That is how I learn to get used to the MTB on my bike. Please any suggestions. I started working out starting with elliptical in June 2020 then cycling in December 2020 and since then I've lost 43 lbs. I am planning to start running
Good for you for bucking the pandemic trend. My wife commented today that she saw a friend in person for the first time since the pandemic and that the friend had gained so much weight, her face had changed appearance.
Old 07-24-21, 09:33 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Look into Couch to 5k. You're probably already fit enough to run a mile or two but the connective tissue in your joints needs time to adapt to the impact of running.
What is connective tissue? I just got my running shoes
Old 07-24-21, 09:34 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
is the connective tissue the pain that seems like a spider killing your legs?
Old 07-24-21, 09:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

A Runner’s Guide to Connective Tissue

Most connective tissues adapt to training, but there’s a catch: they adapt at a much slower rate than muscle. When you allow your muscle development to outpace connective tissue adaptation, the result can be injury. Runners begin training and their muscles improve rapidly. Encouraged, they increase the intensity and length of their workouts. The next thing they know, they’ve got Achilles tendinosis, tibial tendinitis or stress fractures in their feet. Their connective tissue couldn’t cope with the increased workload, even though their muscles seemed fine.

Check Couch to 5k out, or just start slowly with run/walk intervals. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-25-21, 05:53 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Pretty much, yeah. There's also the SRM X-Power SPD pedals but they cost a LOAD more.

You could go down the Assioma SPD hack/bodge route, but the Rallys are I think the only off-the-shelf option worth considering.
SRM X-Power dual sided are the exact same price as the Garmin: $1200. It's only pricier if you buy single sided $700 vs $900. And SRM has a much stronger track record of building quality products.

Last edited by topflightpro; 07-25-21 at 08:28 AM.