Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used Favero or Garmin PM–which is better?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-23-21, 10:25 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts

I’m looking to get some power meter pedals. I really only need single sided, but I’ve been watching for good used ones and currently see two possibilities near me. One is a set of Assioma Duos, used but in excellent condition for $500. The other is Vector 3, also dual sided, very good condition, also $500.

I’ve been reading reviews and watching lots of YouTube, especially from DC Rainmaker. Seems like both of these are really good picks, but with their own (minor) pros and cons.

Can you tell me which one you would choose and why? Or would I be better off just getting a brand new Assioma Uno for a few bucks less?
Old 07-23-21, 11:46 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Both will do the job and are solid choices, it basically comes down to rechargeable vs coin cell batteries.

My vote is for the Assioma Duos.
Old 07-24-21, 12:02 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'd get the Vectors and change them to SPD for gravel!
Old 07-27-21, 11:14 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I was in a similar situation a few months back and went with new Assioma Uno's.

If you're just looking to add power numbers and structured training, one sided power is fine. Regarding choosing between the two, I've had zero issues with the Assiomas and is why I chose them. The reviews noted that they just plain work without complaint. The battery on the Assiomas last a really long time; I charge it every few weeks and I ride 6 days a week. The Vectors had a lot of reviews noting issues with the batteries and the covers that would cause a lot of the problems. DC Rainmaker and GPLama noted these issues and gave a mixed review IIRC which is why I didn't go with the Garmins. For the amount of money I was about to spend, I didn't want a product that was finicky all because of a battery cover.
Old 07-27-21, 12:18 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
After needing the manufacturer to replace my pedals under warranty and seeing friends needing theirs serviced that were of a different brand, my opinion is that you should avoid used PM pedals period.
Old 07-27-21, 02:40 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by oris
DC Rainmaker and GPLama noted these issues and gave a mixed review IIRC which is why I didn't go with the Garmins. For the amount of money I was about to spend, I didn't want a product that was finicky all because of a battery cover.
I saw some of those concerns in the reviews and wonder how common they are, but certainly count them as negative points for the Garmin. Ditto the concerns some people have mentioned regarding connectivity.

Thanks for your input!
Old 07-27-21, 02:43 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by surak
After needing the manufacturer to replace my pedals under warranty and seeing friends needing theirs serviced that were of a different brand, my opinion is that you should avoid used PM pedals period.
I appreciate your perspective. There’s some stuff I have no problem buying used. Other things I insist on getting new. Still deciding how I feel about lightly used PMs for a little cost savings.
Old 07-27-21, 03:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've been using Vectors for most of 10 years, since the first ones. Lost the battery door once, Garmin sent me a new one free, that's the only problem I've ever had with them.

After looking at plenty of DCR power meter reviews and seeing that real ones basically all agree with each other, I wouldn't really think twice about it. Just get whichever one is cheapest or most conveniently available.

I wouldn't go left only though.
Old 07-27-21, 03:11 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Can't comment on the Garmins, but I've been riding the Assioma's for a little over a year with no problems at all. Great product.
Old 07-27-21, 03:44 PM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I've used Vectors for the last 5+ years, (Vector 2 then Vector 3) and recently added a pair of Rally XC200 for my gravel bike. The issues with the battery doors has been resolved for a long time now and I haven't had a single issue since the revision, (2 years or so.) Personally I prefer removable batteries but I can see how some folks might want to go the rechargeable route. Cr1/3n batteries have a crazy long shelf life so I stocked up, if I'm really paranoid I can leave a couple in my saddle bag and never worry about a dead battery.