Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

FTP - improvements and comparison

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-10-14, 08:02 AM
vasuvius

Bikes: Workswell WCB-R-066 Ultegra 6800, LOOK 675 Light Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't have a Power meter. The only power measurements I have are from TrainerRoad with it's calibration for the KK Road Machine trainer.

A month ago I did my first 8 minute FTP test which gave me a measure of a measly 166 (2.46 Watts/Kg at 148lbs)
I've been training regularly for the past 4 weeks and have gotten to the point where I actually enjoy riding on the trainer.

This morning I did another 8 minute FTP test which gave me a measure of 183 (2.74 Watts/Kg at 147lbs) which was a nice surprise.

Is a 10% increase in 4 weeks normal enough that I can expect similar gains for another couple months? I was quite well rested this morning and it is quite possible that I was not rested the first time I did the FTP test

What is the average FTP of people who race at a Cat 5 level? I understand there is a lot more to racing than just power. Road/crowd/group dynamics and strategy aside, I'm just looking for a power level comparison.

How does the Power calculation on TrainerRoad compare to actual power on the road?

Thanks, V
Old 02-10-14, 08:13 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Vasuvius.

I am very inexperienced but for what it's worth my FTP is at 260w right now and I would not consider myself a strong cat 5. I just did my first two complete races this past sat and sunday. I thought I was in outstanding conditioning and to my surprise I was just about average. Take it I am 163 pounds so you are considerably lighter but my FTP seems to be a full 80 watts higher (power meter measured). I averaged 250 watts yesterday for a 1 hour race. Normalized power was 265 watts. I am not sure if you can survive on 180ftp but 50% of it is being a smart rider and knowing how to place yourself during the race. I had the fitness equivalent of a cat 5 but the experience and group riding technique of a 4 year old. Results reflected this. I got dropped in the last 2 miles of the Crit and ended up 6th out of 16 or 17 riders on the RR. I can't handle attacks well and that I will address on my next few training sessions. POWEEEER!!!

Also, yes you can probably see a 10% increase in power, specially on the trainer. It will most likely tell you that the first day you did it you were somewhat tired, dehydrated or maybe hungry and the second day you were much more energetic. Variables tend to change things a lot. Specially when using estimates.

Last edited by lsberrios1; 02-10-14 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-10-14, 08:16 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Kurt Kinetic curve is (in my experience measuring with a PowerTap and confirmed by things I've read) pretty optimistic from an absolute numbers perspective, but a 10% gain in 4 weeks from a minimal fitness base seems reasonable. You won't see that kind of gain consistently as your fitness closes in on your personal limits.

By optimistic, I mean 30W high at the lower ends of normal FTP ranges to 50W at the high end.

I've been working the denominator of the P/W ratio much more aggressively than the numerator this off season doing the TR Mid-Level base building program. I'm half way through stage III. I only gained 3W (a 2% increase) between my last two FTP assessments (12/31/13 and 1/27/14) but my weight dropped by 10 pounds in the same time.
Old 02-10-14, 08:23 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I typically have a 4-5 month break with little cycling between seasons so when I start my training I've dropped off quite a bit. And during the 1st 4 weeks my ftp typically jumps right around 10%. After that, provided I train smart, it continues to climb but each 4 week jump will be less.

Here is a chart out of the Coggans book "Racing and training with a power meter". It is a guess, as plenty of people are at each level with more or less, and for level my FTP is a higher than the listing while my 5 Second is low. But it should give you a rough idea of where people are at:

Old 02-10-14, 08:41 AM
vasuvius

Bikes: Workswell WCB-R-066 Ultegra 6800, LOOK 675 Light Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you canam73. This is very helpful.
Old 02-10-14, 09:34 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Once you're up to what you consider 'very in shape' for yourself, you'll be lucky to gain 10% FTP increase in an entire year. I'm lucky if I add 10 watts (<5% FTP) in an entire 6 month training block.
Old 02-10-14, 09:38 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As mentioned earlier, you are starting from far away, the early gains will be significant. Enjoy your growing fitness. My teammate just finished his 20 min test that correlated to an ftp of 370 w
Old 02-10-14, 09:44 AM
FasterNearGirls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TrainerRoad's Virtual Power with the KKRM is very good, though it could be offset by a small percentage. It's important to keep your variables (tire pressure and turns of the resistance knob) the same every time.

Also as mentioned earlier, there are variables within your own self such as hydration, rest and how fresh your legs are, which you want to keep the same every time you do an FTP test for accurate comparisons. It's recommended that you perform the tests at the same time of day, with similar weather conditions (N/A), same stretch of road (N/A), after eating the same breakfast, etc.

But yes, 10% at those numbers sound about right. One thing that's likely playing a big role is the fact that you gained valuable experience in pacing from your first test, and knew how to start, gauge your effort and finish off the interval much better this second time around.

Lastly, a 20 min test will give you more accurate results than the 8 min one.
Old 02-10-14, 09:57 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Someone has to be the sacrificial one.

I'm 61 and had never done a training program. I started the TCTP as a New Year's resolution.

My field test (8min) FTP was a measly 158W. Pitiful.

I'm just starting week 6. Maybe at the end of week 8 I'll repeat the test.

What I'm really interested in seeing is how it affects my road performance. We've been snow and ice locked so all but one ride has been indoors this year.

Old 02-10-14, 10:16 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My FTP is around 245 with 3.5 w/kg, and I consider myself a poor Cat 5. If everyone went a consistent speed I'd be good, but your 10 second and 1 minute wattages are very important to keep up with the accelerations.
Old 02-10-14, 10:41 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the beginning you also get better at pacing and simply perform the test "better."

Racing is much more than FTP. Crits in particular require ability to recover quickly from repeated hard accelerations.
Work on short intervals.
Old 02-10-14, 11:12 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
FTP is a simply a measurement. It cannot predict how you will do compared to others. That chart should be used as a guide. It is not absolute.

And I can tell you, there are guys on this forum with ridiculously low FTPs who have succeeded as a cat 2.
Old 02-10-14, 11:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Frankly, I wouldn't worry about your FTP in absolute terms at this point - I'd only worry about relative progress; the KKRM is consistent enough with TR (with the same set-up every time) to accomplish this goal. One thing that I found with TR is that I'd see early gains for two reasons: 1) improved fitness 2) able to test better by virtue of experience.
Old 02-10-14, 11:47 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by vasuvius
How does the Power calculation on TrainerRoad compare to actual power on the road?
Likely within +/- 20%. The power reported by TrainerRoad will be within about +/- 10% and for most people the power on a trainer is generally lower than what they can produce outdoors.

If you want to know where you stand relative to other riders you'll need to start riding with others, initially on group rides, progressing to entry level racing once you have some experience riding in a group.

FTP is a measure of your 60min power which, as others have said, is not as important as your shorter term (1 and 5min) power for predicting how you'll do in a race. The easiest way to compare yourself would be to join a team or find a group ride that includes some racers. You'll know what you need to work on after you climb a few hills with racers who are working hard. If you live in an active cycling community you can also compare your Strava times on local hills with other racers. It's pretty simple to look up race results for the top 10-15 on a particular Strava segment. Stick with the hill segments (steeper the better) only and ignore the flat segments.
Old 02-10-14, 12:06 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by vasuvius
I don't have a Power meter. The only power measurements I have are from TrainerRoad with it's calibration for the KK Road Machine trainer.

A month ago I did my first 8 minute FTP test which gave me a measure of a measly 166 (2.46 Watts/Kg at 148lbs)
I've been training regularly for the past 4 weeks and have gotten to the point where I actually enjoy riding on the trainer.

This morning I did another 8 minute FTP test which gave me a measure of 183 (2.74 Watts/Kg at 147lbs) which was a nice surprise.

Is a 10% increase in 4 weeks normal enough that I can expect similar gains for another couple months? I was quite well rested this morning and it is quite possible that I was not rested the first time I did the FTP test

What is the average FTP of people who race at a Cat 5 level? I understand there is a lot more to racing than just power. Road/crowd/group dynamics and strategy aside, I'm just looking for a power level comparison.

Thanks, V
One major thing about FTP tests is that the more you do them the better you are at the actual test. It's sort of like taking the SATs (or whatever they do now). When I took my first practice exam some of the question formats were totally new to me. I had to read them really carefully, figure out what they were asking, and then go look for the answer. After a few weeks of practice exams the weird questions were normal and I could breeze through them like a normal-to-me question.

With FTP type efforts it's hard to gauge pace etc, at least for me. You also figure out how to warm up better, how hard you can go, food stuff, etc. I don't do many FTP tests and I tend to start too hard, I tend to warm up too much, and I usually have eaten at the wrong time. I figured out some of that now so my tests have gotten more consistent and a bit higher.

Based on my average wattages in hour long crits, along with how I do or feel, I think the FTP number I got from testing is about right - 210-220w. In crits if I average 160-170w then I'm in pretty good shape going into the finale. If I average 180-190w it is a very special race for me and if I can sprint then it means I'm very fit and very motivated. At 200w I normally can't sprint and in fact I'm usually blown with a lap or so to go. At 250w average I'm usually out of the race by halfway. There were races where I was out in a few minutes and averaged 300-350w for those few minutes.

My FTP comes out to about 2.8 w/kg. However I present a pretty low profile to the wind so in a flatter race it's not quite as bad as it might seem. I am usually the first person to get dropped on hills, on group rides and definitely in races (among the first 5 or 10 to get dropped in a field of 125 or so). I also TT pretty poorly, usually in the last 3 or so if I'm doing a Cat 3 stage race with 125 starters, for example. Those two types of races rely on FTP for most of your performance potential so not being able to go harder than, say, 210w for an hour will really sour your chances of doing well in an hour long TT.

I upgraded to Cat 2 at the end of 2010 based on about 3.0 w/kg and a number of good performances in crits. I was racing Cat 3 for forever before that (1986-2010), competitively in particular races or seasons. A year later, at the end of 2011, I downgraded back to a 3. I think that's more the category appropriate for me - I have a very hard time placing in the 3s now.

For you I'd recommend working on FTP but also doing as many races as possible. When I first started racing I was absolutely shocked at the speed of the races. In my first year I only finished one race, and that one I was so out of it I was racing corner to corner, hoping I'd make it to the next corner. I got used to that high end stuff that you need to do to stay in races, I learned the hard way about never, ever letting a gap open when the pace is high, about the absolute focus necessary to keep on the wheels in front of you. 10 or 15 feet and that was the end of my race. It's a hard way to learn but I learned it, and now it's second nature. There's tactics and stuff but even the smarter riders, if inexperienced, tend to downplay the significance of the basics like not leaving gaps in front of them. Racing is a great way to really allow you to focus on things like that - you don't have to worry about traffic, you are in a race with peers, allowing you to focus on just the racing aspect of things.

Also I'd focus on improving your position for more leverage and better aero. The two almost always work together for a newer rider because a newer rider doesn't have the massive base miles and corresponding muscular development of an experienced rider. For example most new riders have a more upright position because that's what a normal person can do when they get on a bike. As the rider develops and becomes stronger, more fit for cycling, etc, the position morphs into a longer, lower position. Pros are an extreme version of that - their office is their bike and if they aren't comfy riding for 6 or 8 hours at a time they wouldn't be in that position. However pros typically have pretty aggressive positions. It's a result of their body developing the base necessary for that position, the lower back, the glutes, etc.

The key here is that the lower position allows you to recruit more muscles for pedaling. When you go up a hill you lean forward instinctively. No one tries to sit straight upright, like a 3 speed bike. Everyone, even those on 3 speeds, leans forward. Their body is trying to recruit the powerful glute muscles. Pros and more experienced riders have ridden enough to develop a solid core/base so they feel more comfortable leaned over, and as a benefit they also have much more muscle at their disposal.

As a side effect you'll notice your power going up when you adapt such a position.

A friend and teammate asked me to critique his position after a couple years of racing. He was professionally fit at a respected shop but after a couple years his needs were very different. We really changed his position wholesale, dropping his bars a couple cm, getting a 2 cm longer stem, and jacking up his saddle I think about 2 cm. He immediately placed better in the next four races in three weeks and change - it wasn't a change in fitness but it was a change in position that allowed him to take advantage of the fitness he had gained. Such a radical position change wouldn't have worked at the beginning because he wasn't fit, relatively speaking, but as a strongish Cat 4 he needed up to update his position to match his change in fitness.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-10-14, 12:11 PM
jjjj

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This fall I switched from the KK power curve on trainerroad to a Power Tap on trainer road. My Power dropped 25 watts after getting the power tap. That was the bad news. the good news was that by using trainerroad my power increased quickly. I am now seeing gains coming slower. I was fit and had a good base when I started, but had never done proper training. I just pedaled.

My question is there seems to be a disconnect between Coggan's table for Cat 5 racing and what people are experiencing. My FTP/KG is 3.2. I am considering trying to race, but want to be at least in the ballpark fitness wise with the other racers. This would enable me to actually gain useful experience ie... if I am getting dropped like a FRED then I will not be able to learn.
Old 02-10-14, 12:32 PM
ovoleg