Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brodie Elan?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Brodie Elan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 12:23 PM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Brodie Elan?

Hi all. I currently ride a 90's mountain bike converted to drop bars and I would say it's quite a tank (33 lbs). It's very stable which is nice for bikepacking/touring but the majority of my riding is 30-40 km day rides without bags and in that scenario it feels kind of sluggish. I'm considering getting a modern bike for a number of reasons (shorter reach, disc brakes, possibly lighter?) with a big reason being that I think I would enjoy something that feels more "fun", more agile, snappy, quick, something along those lines. But I would still like it to be able to handle light touring/bikepacking a couple times a year.

I've recently come across a Facebook Marketplace ad for a 2019 Brodie Elan build with my size frame. It's surprisingly difficult to find information about this bike online, especially geometry (mainly stack and reach). Apparently it's very much a touring bike and I've seen some people say it's a tank (30 lbs). How does the Elan ride? Would it give me the type of ride I'm looking for? I would just go for a test ride but it's a bit far away and I don't want to take the time to go out there unless I think there's a good chance I'll like it. Any thoughts or info on the bike would be appreciated.
Old 08-30-22, 02:59 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclepost
I've recently come across a Facebook Marketplace ad for a 2019 Brodie Elan build with my size frame. It's surprisingly difficult to find information about this bike online, especially geometry (mainly stack and reach).
The geometry of the 2020-2021 bikes appears to be the same as for the 2019 bike.

https://www.brodiebicycles.com/2019-elan

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/brodie-elan-2020-2021/

The Elan seems to be more intended for loaded touring (and appears to be a good choice for that). It's probably more than you need for "light touring/bike packing" but it would work for that too.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-30-22 at 03:04 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-01-22, 02:29 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
No idea, but "Brody" used to be slang for a fall, referencing a man named Brody who claimed to have fallen/jumped of the Brooklyn Bridge.
Old 09-01-22, 09:36 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
You need a different vintage hybrid bike. There are lighter steel mountain bike, hybrid, ATB's out there.

Maybe it's me, but aren't drops making you reach more?

I have zero interest in drops of any kind, but handlebars with multiple hand positions can be helpful.

I have been banging around on a steel 90's Hybrid CROSS Bike for the last few weeks and I am flying around.........