Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Old 09-15-22, 10:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
To "Darwin" someone or to let someone "Darwin" themselves ... means to let those folks end their own lives through natural stupidity. It has nothing to do with Dr. Darwin's controversial views on heredity.
wut
Old 09-15-22, 10:21 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
wut
have you never heard of the Darwin award?

https://darwinawards.com/

Last edited by spelger; 09-15-22 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added link.
Old 09-15-22, 10:30 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by spelger
have you never heard of the Darwin award?

https://darwinawards.com/
Uh, yeah, I have, but there has always been the implication that these were people (thankfully) not making any further contributions to the gene pool.
Old 09-15-22, 10:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Was browsing the wreckage of this train derailment when I came across this bit of nonsense posted by some ignorant whatever .....

@genejockey replied---

Which got me thinking ..... "What we have here .... is failure to communicate."

To "Darwin" someone or to let someone "Darwin" themselves ... means to let those folks end their own lives through natural stupidity. It has nothing to do with Dr. Darwin's controversial views on heredity.

I should have made an immediate correction.

Indeed, once past breeding age those folks no longer affect the gene pool directly. On the other hand, they continue to spout their spurious "wisdom" to succeeding generations. That is why we should thank them for self-removal.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...20all%20cases.
Old 09-15-22, 10:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Uh, yeah, I have, but there has always been the implication that these were people (thankfully) not making any further contributions to the gene pool.
Indeed. One winner did not in fact die as a result of his own stupidity, but did manage to make any further contribution to the gene pool impossible.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-15-22, 11:07 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by genejockey
One winner did not in fact die as a result of his own stupidity, but did manage to make any further contribution to the gene pool impossible.
Well, remind me not to watch that one.
Old 09-15-22, 11:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Well, remind me not to watch that one.
There was a written description, no video.

Old 09-15-22, 11:58 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
There was a written description, no video.
I read that one. Description was gruesome enough
Old 09-15-22, 12:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Dr. Darwin's controversial views on heredity.
Wut?

Is this like Newton's controversial views on kinematics?

(I just noticed they used a photo of John Sulston.)
Old 09-15-22, 12:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I read that one. Description was gruesome enough
Yeah.

Old 09-15-22, 12:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Wut?

Is this like Newton's controversial views on kinematics?
I first read that as "cinematics", which made for a delightful diversion.

Old 09-15-22, 03:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
It has nothing to do with Dr. Darwin's controversial views on heredity.
Aside from a few crackpots, there is nothing "controversial" about the theory of natural selection. It's long-established science.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-15-22, 03:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
And for the record, Darwin didn't understand how heredity worked, his theory was about what happens as a result of variation being hereditary. At the time, there were other theories of evolution - Lamarck thought ancestral giraffes stretched their necks to reach high trees and passed the result down. Darwin's insight, and Wallace's, was how nature "guided" the process of change.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-15-22, 10:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
And for the record, Darwin didn't understand how heredity worked, his theory was about what happens as a result of variation being hereditary. At the time, there were other theories of evolution - Lamarck thought ancestral giraffes stretched their necks to reach high trees and passed the result down. Darwin's insight, and Wallace's, was how nature "guided" the process of change.
And still, there are holes in our understanding .... for instance, if long-necked giraffes got more food more often, were thus healthier and bred more often, we should see slow but steady neck increases, but apparently giraffes went from horse-necks to giraffe necks.

I have a friend (one of the world's foremost experts on lemurs, among other things) who got degrees in evolutionary biology or some such .... he admits readily that Darwin;'s ideas, and later ideas, don't explain everything, from rates of change to sudden changes and other stuff which you could argue with him .... and lose, because he spent years studying the stuff. He is not saying organisms do not evolve .... we can literally see that in quick-breeding species. he is saying that there are a lot of holes and gaps and mysteries which existing science cannot explain .... which is okay. All true science is mostly about investigating the unknown. Go get me a bag full of dark matter please ......

Anyway, if you don't think Darwin's theory is controversial .... not so impressed by your science.

Look, I don't argue with Flat Earthers, but i don't deny they exist.

Science begins with observation .... and anyone who likes facts can observe that a lot of people outright deny evolution. Doesn't mean they are right, or even rational, but it is pretty clear they are there.

So yeah ... I meant it as a joke---i mean we are on BF right?---but it is indeed a theory which a lot of people argue about ... which is the definition of controversial, last time I checked.

And Newton ... yeah, he did okay with calculus, but Einstein wiped the floor with Newton's lame gravitational theory.

Which is another excellent example ... we have at least a couple very applicable theories of gravitation, can do the measurements and all that .... but scientists have no real clue what gravity is. Why does mass distort space-time? How many dimensions are there and are they all distorted by matter? Why .... Anything?

The best part of science, to me, is the unknowns. Does a Goth kid dancing to really fast punk have a lot of Dark Energy?

Darwin wasn't all that ... he didn't invent the bicycle or anything bicycle-related. Isaac Newton never even Saw a bike. Just lame.
Old 09-15-22, 10:13 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
oh
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-16-22, 05:10 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
As controversial as clipless?
Old 09-16-22, 05:33 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
I cannot find any data on whether Charles Darwin used clipless or flats.
I read somewhere on Facebook he used dry lube on a waxed chain used tubes cargo shorts & Cotton t shirts.
Likes For Bogey Speedwell:
Old 09-16-22, 05:46 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Also I’m selling my clipless shoes too, after reading this thread.

While I’ve only ridden 100-150 mile in my new SPD’s apparently they don’t work, since I haven’t fallen at all yet. They seem to feel so much better for me and seem to reduce fatigue Thats the problem, after reading the OP’s complaint, I realized my clipless shoes are liars. Longest ride in them so far was just over 57 miles, and apparently they falsely make me feel like I’m more efficient.

I feel so duped by my SPD’s……. Thanks Jen for setting me straight and saving me!
Old 09-16-22, 06:09 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
I realized my clipless shoes are liars.
It's right there in the name. Clipless they call themselves. BUT THEY HAVE CLIPS!
Old 09-16-22, 06:12 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Originally Posted by znomit
It's right there in the name. Clipless they call themselves. BUT THEY HAVE CLIPS!
😂😂

The irony has gone numb on me thanks for the reminder!
Old 09-16-22, 07:03 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Anyway, if you don't think Darwin's theory is controversial .... not so impressed by your science.

Look, I don't argue with Flat Earthers, but i don't deny they exist.
One of the fun things about bf is that, occasionally, a post sends me scurrying off into the internet -- where I find out that I was wrong about something.

Here are the results of a study from the Pew Research Center which confirms that Maelochs is correct: the theory of evolution is indeed more controversial than I imagined.

Since I mostly hang out with very intelligent people, I sometimes forget how many morons are out there.
Old 09-16-22, 07:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
And .... interesting link. The depth of nonsense beneath which we find ourselves submerged begins to make sense when you see information like that.

I hang out with a mix of hippies and far-right extremists .... Most of them are quite smart, some are very intelligent, some are very educated .... and each of them possessed of world views that the rest cannot find reasonable or rational.

I am exposed to every possible theory and most impossible theories ....

Someday I will tell everyone the real truth .....

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-16-22 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 10:38 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
One of the fun things about bf is that, occasionally, a post sends me scurrying off into the internet -- where I find out that I was wrong about something.

Here are the results of a study from the Pew Research Center which confirms that Maelochs is correct: the theory of evolution is indeed more controversial than I imagined.

Since I mostly hang out with very intelligent people, I sometimes forget how many morons are out there.
I scurried after you scurried. Mainly because in the abstract/summary to have some obvious ?marks / holes... like when it came to religious groups comparisons, there were quite a few Christian Groupings with 'respondents', but the 'Other' group has zero, nada, ziltch... strange...
So I went a bit deeper (especially since PEW Research studies seem to conclude many things from a minutiae of data...)
from the actual full published report... quotes
"The bulk of the analysis relies on data from a representative sample of 2,002 adults nationwide surveyed by landline and cellular telephone in August 2014. Some analysis from other Pew Research Center surveys is included where there is relevant data."
Not what I would call overpowering survey numbers... In fact, would this qualify for signifcance from even one city, like NYC, SFO, or even St Louis ?
Then the method...
Actual numbers on the 'evolution Qs...:

PEW Research excerpt - 2015 Science & Politics study

stop right after seeing this, given the numbers, I'm not surprised there were no 'Other'...
Amazing how we can influence and be influenced by something with no substantive foundation.
... If they had sampled a few dozen people at LAX, they could have called and sold this as a 'Worldwide' study...
Keep scratchin my head...
Yuri
EDIT: The total number of respondents = 2002 is for the number of respondents for the ENTIRE survey, done over a number of years, periods for many other topics, other than evolution. The Total respondents for the evolution Question was 247, over the periods from 2009 thru 2015...so NOT 2002...
and I don;t know what the AAAS Scientists survey is: numbers would indicate a survey of scientists... ?

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-16-22 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-16-22, 10:55 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
This just in…

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...-clipless.html

Dan
Old 10-05-22, 11:08 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Jesus, people! "Data" is the PLURAL!!! "The data ARE out there"..."the data DON'T support the argument."
If you're going to waste time arguing about personal preferences as if they're empirically derived, you could at least do it grammatically.
/rant
Calling BS on this

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.