Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Affordable Power Meter Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Affordable Power Meter Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 10:33 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle13
I'm new to cycling. I bought a Specialized Allez Elite at the end of June with the expectation of going on a casual ride with my wife every week or two. Then I got hooked and have put several hundred miles on it. Now I'd like to add a dual-sided power meter... without spending a grand on it.

Here are a couple options I'm looking at:
Favero Assioma Duo
Power2max NGeco Praxis

(I'd link to them for you, but I'm not permitted yet)

What are your opinions on those two options, and what other options might I be missing? Thanks!
I recently had to replace my Quarq duel sided power meter. I went with the stages right sided and couldn’t be happier. I have compared my numbers vs duel sided and was impressed. The purchase was less than shipping, and trouble shooting the Quarq, so I am a happy camper. Take care and have fun.
Old 09-21-22, 03:36 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Responding to a post way back ... if you're a data junky, it might be better to delay buying an 'affordable' PM because you may lowball yourself now and find that what you buy now doesn't give you all the data you want. There's always ebay or craigslist or marketplace if you do that, of course....
Old 09-21-22, 03:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle13
I've been looking at watches that I might upgrade to, and have been comparing the Garmin 955 to the 255. One feature of the 955 that's interesting is the Advanced Cycling Dynamics. Are Power2max, Favero, or any other non-Garmin power meters compatible with that?
Get the 955 over the 255. Touch screen alone is worth it, dramatically improves the usability of the watch. You long press two buttons to turn it on and off, so it won't get confused by sweat etc.

Most people will prefer the value of the non solar one. It adds $100 to the cost but has limited light gathering ability and will only slow the rate of drain.
Old 09-21-22, 06:49 PM
jackyharuhiko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Responding to a post way back ... if you're a data junky, it might be better to delay buying an 'affordable' PM because you may lowball yourself now and find that what you buy now doesn't give you all the data you want. There's always ebay or craigslist or marketplace if you do that, of course....
that’s why I recommend the Assioma. Best bang for the buck.
Old 09-26-22, 10:09 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I bought a refurbished Stages single sided crank arm power meter in early 2020 from Pro's Closet for $130 out the door. It is an FSA Energy arm that replaced my stock FSA Gossamer (yes, I run the Energy PM arm on the left side and the Gossamer arm on the right).

It's been rock solid, zero complaints. I'd prefer dual sided, but... $130. I would highly recommend. I've been looking for a Cannondale Hollowgram version of this same PM for my other bike, but they're more like $400, which is still pretty cheap I suppose.
Old 09-26-22, 10:04 PM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Just ordered the SS Garmin pedals at the same time I ordered a new bike. I have been using a HRM and look forward to using a PM.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 09-27-22, 07:59 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
Define “ most users “. Think of HR as a metric of what you have been doing and PM as a metric of what you are currently doing. Let’s say you are riding up a 1/2 mile hill with varying gradients. As you start up a steeper pitch and want to be sure you are either not going too hard or not hard enough HR is worthless. By the time you are done with a 50 or 100 yard stretch HR may be reflecting what you had just done but will have offered no feedback while doing it.
it’s not difficult to pace yourself to avoid blowing up with a HRM. You simply learn your lactate threshold hr, and don’t go over it. ( or realize you’re burning matches when you do.) With some experience, and correlating with perceived effort, it is more than a recreational cyclist needs.

A power meter becomes useful when you use the data as part of a structured trading program or to pace precisely a competitive tt effort. Otherwise it’s just a fun gadget.

P.S., it is never a good idea to argue with R Chung about power meters, unless perhaps your last name is Allen or Coggan.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 09-27-22, 11:43 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
it’s not difficult to pace yourself to avoid blowing up with a HRM. You simply learn your lactate threshold hr, and don’t go over it. ( or realize you’re burning matches when you do.) With some experience, and correlating with perceived effort, it is more than a recreational cyclist needs.

A power meter becomes useful when you use the data as part of a structured trading program or to pace precisely a competitive tt effort. Otherwise it’s just a fun gadget.

P.S., it is never a good idea to argue with R Chung about power meters, unless perhaps your last name is Allen or Coggan.
A “ fun gadget “ that effectively mimics HR and perceived effort, albeit in real time and without the guesswork. I used a HRM for many years. I guess before HR I was using perceived effort. Indoor training without power was vastly less beneficial. Outdoors I use it less frequently, the aforementioned long hills being the prime example. I am curious what metric pros are looking at climbing the Tourmalet. Mostly trying to hang on but we don’t hear too much about what their HR was, more likely watts.
Old 09-27-22, 11:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Power is most useful when you're not doing structured training. You can do that without power. If you want to get the most training benefit from your riding without actually doing structured intervals, power allows this in a way heart rate doesn't because of the way power is instantaneous and objective meaning not influenced by other factors.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-27-22, 02:47 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I am curious what metric pros are looking at climbing the Tourmalet. Mostly trying to hang on but we don’t hear too much about what their HR was, more likely watts.
Pros use the data differently in training and in racing. Most pros show watts and HR on their displays but they don't race by HR or power, they race by RPE and tactical situation. They collect the data so that their team can analyze the data afterward. Early in the season and in training they pay more attention to HR and power but when you're in a race (except, typically, for TTs) you do what you need to do, watts be damned.

Guys I've talked to say that during a race a thing they really look at is distance because the team has often taped a little reminder about feed zones, sprint points, important choke points, and so on, and they want to know how far until them.
Likes For RChung:
Old 10-01-22, 12:33 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Has anyone here used the Magene P325CS Crank set? It looks like a Rotor knockoff. The customer reviews are mostly very positive. A couple complain of poor quality control. They were not the most recent reviews. One complained about the chain ring and spider being one piece.

At around $US 400 it is a very low cost option in what seems to be a high cost product. Note that the price is about what a Hope crank set costs. For some CNC machined aluminum, a (maybe) $5 strain gauge, and maybe $10 worth of electronics to read the strain gauge it seems believable.

At 700 grams it is a bit heavier than a Campagnolo Record crank set, but not too much.
Old 10-03-22, 12:28 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,054 Posts
Magene makes a dual sided crank based meter for under $400. And an Ultegra crankset for under $800.

They get solid reviews too.