Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2011 Trek 2.1 alpha vs ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2011 Trek 2.1 alpha vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 05:38 PM
mpike926

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 Trek 2.1 alpha vs ?

Hi I am new here and quite frankly new to road riding. Grew up with a mtn bike. Anyways I (33m 6ft 7) want to get into road riding. I have been doing research and know I need a larger bike. There's stuff on Amazon (budget is 400) and I kno I'm not going to get anything great there at that price. Anyways someone locally is selling a trek alpha 2.1. 2011
The bike looks in really good shape, I'd post a link or photos but I can bc I'm new to the forum. He wants 260. I'll paste his description. Any thoughts?
2.1 Road Bike, Large or Extra Large Frame for tall rider. 2011 Model Year, immaculate condition, barely ridden and always stored inside. Maintained and always lubed, no rust anywhere. New handle bar wrap, never dropped or ridden in rain, rides like new. Nice green color, see pictures. Asking $260
Thanks!

Last edited by mpike926; 09-14-22 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-14-22, 06:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Large or extra large? Which is it? I thought Trek used metric sizing and it seems the biggest size would be 62cm for that bike, but I could be wrong.

Have you been on it? Have you been fitted on any road bike? Most bikes aren't going to be big enough. A friend is 6'7" and he rides a 64cm Specialized and he's comfortable on it. Another friend is 6'8" and he rides a KHS 747. KHS makes that bike for tall riders and I think the biggest one is a 67cm, they call it XXXL.

Other brands have made huge bikes and you might get lucky and find one for cheap. I have a 62cm Gunnar and they make them up to 68.

$260 is cheap for any decent road bike. If it fits you and it's not cracked it sounds like a good deal.
Old 09-14-22, 07:13 PM
mpike926

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a 62 cm bike. He says it's in great shape. I believe him because he lives in a very nice area in Naples Florida.
I have not gone to see it but plan on going this weekend sometime.
I figure for 250 it's a trek. Probably better (and cheaper) than something I'd buy for 4-500 bucks. I'm not looking to enter (yet) races, just more for evening exercise.

Last edited by mpike926; 09-14-22 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-14-22, 08:16 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
As a point of reference, I'm 6'4" and ride a 62cm Trek and a 61cm Specialized.

Glenn
Old 09-14-22, 08:32 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Only thing for you to do is to ride it.

The absolute basics deal with the seatpost and the stem. If you can get proper leg extension on the current post without going beyond the ‘minimum insert’ marker, then you’re ok on that front. Proper leg extension generally means being able to straighten your leg out at the bottom of the stroke while seated, maybe even just about being able to lock your knee if you drop your heel. If your hips are rocking in the saddle to do this, you’ve gone too far - hips should stay pretty stable.

Stem can help determine how high the handlebars are, as well as how far forward they are. Again, as a basic, general rule, when seated on the bike, your handlebar will just about block out your view of the front hub when seated. Again, this is very general - some people like it more forward for a more aggressive position, some like it further back. My guess is that a 62cm frame and stock stem will likely put the handlebars pretty far behind the hub from your 6’7” vantage point.

Best option would be to find a local shop that will let you test stems for free before buying the one you want - if the bike has a 110mm 7 degree stem, for example, I’d probably start with a 130mm and 17 degree rise to both bring it further forward as well as a little taller. But the only way to know what works for you is to try.

best of luck on the bike!