Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Prostate cancer tip

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Prostate cancer tip

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 10:48 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About 3 days ago, I had a chat with my doctor about being checked for prostate cancer. He surprised me by telling me that he could do it, but there was about a 98% to 99% chance that it wouldn't make any difference. That the risks from the treatment tend to be much greater than the cancer. Then I just found this article in the New York Times about studies that basically say that nearly all prostate cancers are extremely slow growing and those almost never kill you. That all of the side effects of the treatment are essentially endured for nothing. The fast growing ones usually don't respond to treatment.

Prostate Cancer Test Found to Save Few Lives
By GINA KOLATA

The PSA blood test, used to screen for prostate cancer, saves few lives and leads to risky and unnecessary treatments for large numbers of men, two large studies have found.

The findings, the first based on rigorous, randomized studies, confirm some longstanding concerns about the wisdom of widespread prostate cancer screening. Although the studies are continuing, results so far are considered significant and the most definitive to date.

The PSA test, which measures a protein released by prostate cells, does what it is supposed to do — indicates a cancer might be present, leading to biopsies to determine if there is a tumor. But it has been difficult to know whether finding prostate cancer early saves lives. Most of the cancers tend to grow very slowly and are never a threat and, with the faster-growing ones, even early diagnosis might be too late.

The studies — one in Europe and the other in the United States — are “some of the most important studies in the history of men’s health,” said Dr. Otis Brawley, the chief medical officer of the American Cancer Society.

In the European study, 48 men were told they had prostate cancer and needlessly treated for it for every man whose death was prevented within a decade after having had a PSA test.

Dr. Peter B. Bach, a physician and epidemiologist at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, says one way to think of the data is to suppose he has a PSA test today. It leads to a biopsy that reveals he has prostate cancer, and he is treated for it. There is a one in 50 chance that, in 2019 or later, he will be spared death from a cancer that would otherwise have killed him. And there is a 49 in 50 chance that he will have been treated unnecessarily for a cancer that was never a threat to his life.

Prostate cancer treatment can result in impotence and incontinence when surgery is used to destroy the prostate, and, at times, painful defecation or chronic diarrhea when the treatment is radiation.

As soon as the PSA test was introduced in 1987, it became a routine part of preventive health care for many men age 40 and older. Experts debated its value, but their views were largely based on less compelling data that often involved statistical modeling and inferences. Now, with the new data, cancer experts said men should carefully consider the possible risks and benefits of treatment before deciding to be screened. Some may decide not to be screened at all.

For years, the cancer society has urged men to be informed before deciding to have a PSA test. “Now we actually have something to inform them with,” Dr. Brawley said. “We’ve got numbers.”

The publication of data from the two new studies should change the discussion, said Dr. David F. Ransohoff, an internist and cancer epidemiologist at the University of North Carolina. “This is not relying on modeling anymore,” he said. “This is not some abstract, pointy-headed exercise. This is the real world, and this is real data.”

Dr. H. Gilbert Welch, a professor of medicine at Dartmouth who studies cancer screening, also welcomed the new data. “We’ve been waiting years for this,” he said. “It’s a shame we didn’t have it 20 years ago.”

Both reports were published online Wednesday by The New England Journal of Medicine. One involved 182,000 men in seven European countries; the other, by the National Cancer Institute, involved nearly 77,000 men at 10 medical centers in the United States.

In both, participants were randomly assigned to be screened — or not — with the PSA test, whose initials stand for prostate-specific antigen. In each study, the two groups were followed for more than a decade while researchers counted deaths from prostate cancer, asking whether screening made a difference.

The European data involved a consortium of studies with different designs. Taken together, the studies found that screening was associated with a 20 percent relative reduction in the prostate cancer death rate. But the number of lives saved was small — seven fewer prostate cancer deaths for every 10,000 men screened and followed for nine years.

The American study, led by Dr. Gerald L. Andriole of Washington University, had a single design. It found no reduction in deaths from prostate cancer after most of the men had been followed for 10 years. Every man has been followed for at least seven years, said Dr. Barnett Kramer, a study co-author at the National Institutes of Health. By seven years, the death rate was 13 percent lower for the unscreened group.

The European study saw no benefit of screening in the first seven years of follow-up.

Screening is not only an issue in prostate cancer. If the European study is correct, mammography has about the same benefit as the PSA test, said Dr. Michael B. Barry, a prostate cancer researcher at Massachusetts General Hospital who wrote an editorial accompanying the papers. But prostate cancers often are less dangerous than breast cancers, so screening and subsequent therapy can result in more harm. With mammography, about 10 women receive a diagnosis and needless treatment for breast cancer to prevent one death. With both cancers, researchers say they badly need a way to distinguish tumors that would be deadly without treatment from those that would not.

When the American and European studies began, in the early 1990s, PSA testing was well under way in the United States, and many expected that the screening test would make the prostate cancer death rate plummet by 50 percent or more. Dr. Brawley was at the cancer institute then, though not directly involved with its prostate cancer screening study. But he saw the reactions.

Some urologists said the study was unethical, because some people would not be screened, and demanded it be shut down, he said. One group of black urologists encouraged black men not to participate because blacks have a greater risk of prostate cancer and it seemed obvious they should be screened.

Some thought that they would see fewer cancer deaths among screened men as quickly as five years. But it became clear that screening would not have a large, immediate effect — if it did, the studies would have been stopped and victory declared. Cancer researchers began turning to less rigorous sources of data, with some arguing that screening was preventing cancer deaths and others arguing it was not.

In the United States, many men and their doctors have made up their minds — most men over age 50 have already been screened, and each year more than 180,000 receive a diagnosis of prostate cancer. In Europe, said Dr. Fritz H. Schröder of Erasmus University, the lead author of the European study, most men are not screened. “The mentality of Europeans is different,” he said, and screening is not so highly promoted.

Both studies will continue to follow the men. It remains possible that the United States study will eventually find that screening can reduce the prostate cancer death rate, researchers say, or that both studies will conclude that there is no real reduction.

“I certainly think there’s information here that’s food for thought,” Dr. Brawley said.

The benefits of prostate cancer screening, he said, are “modest at best and with a greater downside than any other cancer we screen for.”

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-19-09, 04:35 AM
lighthorse

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get tested regularly. My annual test last summer led to a biopsy and 44 radiation treatments. I was off the bike for 3 months and now back up to 80-100 mi/wk. Even the radiation can make the prostate very sensitive to sitting on the saddle for hours. Not sure that I am going to be doing any more cross country rides very soon.
The study just posted is interesting. Much like all of the information available when trying to figure out what treatment is best for you. Lots of information available and most of it is contradictory. If anyone has THE answer please come on line and give it up.
Old 03-19-09, 05:59 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
"saves few lives"

"Most of the cancers tend to grow very slowly and are never a threat"

For some reason, I always assume that the above statements mean

Screening DOES save some lives, and SOME of the cancers grow fast, and then I always think I am in the group with the fast growing cancers whose life might be saved!!
Old 03-19-09, 06:09 AM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Remember that the PSA test is only one data point to consider in combination with other tests and exams. My doc has warned about putting too much faith in them when they are either high or low. Just because you have a high reading it does not mean you need radical treatments for cancer. Now many articles say the same thing. That is not to say you shouldn't have the PSA test, you should, but realize it is not the end all and be all, just one element of your diagnosis and treatment.
Old 03-19-09, 06:14 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Screening DOES save some lives, and SOME of the cancers grow fast, and then I always think I am in the group with the fast growing cancers whose life might be saved!!
Correct. Not all prostate cancers are slow growing or trivial and people do die from prostate cancer.

I never dreamed that I would be recuperating from surgery on my 52nd birthday for an aggressive prostate cancer or recuperating from the effects of radiation and drugs on my 58th birthday for a recurrence of the same cancer.

Old 03-19-09, 07:15 AM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The important point is one made by B-Dawg earlier in this thread. The studies, which I think are important, apply to groups, not to individuals. A treatment does not work for 70% or 30% or 10% of an individual - it works or it doesn't. The choice you make in treating or not treating must be made by an individual, not by a group. I am in the 30% five-year survival category with my colon cancer, but it's looking like 100% of me is going to make it. Screening and treatments are very individualized things.
Old 03-19-09, 08:22 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Correct. Not all prostate cancers are slow growing or trivial and people do die from prostate cancer.

I never dreamed that I would be recuperating from surgery on my 52nd birthday for an aggressive prostate cancer or recuperating from the effects of radiation and drugs on my 58th birthday for a recurrence of the same cancer.
How are you doing?
Old 03-19-09, 10:44 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"saves few lives"

"Most of the cancers tend to grow very slowly and are never a threat"

I'm not strong on medical issues, so I'm going to pretend to me. However I try to careful in my remarks and consider the validity of the sources of my information. While I'm not a doctor, I am a pretty good researcher & analyst.

From what I've gathered so far, from multiple sources, is that nearly all of the prostate cancers that grow slowly are not a threat. And that most of the cancers that grow quickly, are unlikely (but not impossible) to be cured, even with treatment. The data is not robust enough to state this with great confidence, but it leans strongly in this direction.

If true, then while it is true that screening does save some lives, the numbers of lives saved by screening may be surprisingly low. To the point that many doctors in many countries are coming to the conclusion that screening isn't necessary.

It could present an interesting scenario for some of us. Let's say we have a positive test result. You are told that there is a 2% chance that you will die from this cancer at some point over the next 30 years. Do you opt for the treatment given the side effect risk? Or do you think, "Hey, I'm 55 and there has to be a 2% chance of me dying from a number of causes over the next 30 years. I'm willing to assume the risk."

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 03-19-09 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-19-09, 10:50 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate it when bad things with low probabilities happen to people that I know. Have experienced similar rotten luck on a couple of things myself.

If we are going to hit a low probability, why can't it be the lottery?

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 03-19-09, 11:06 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
OK, to lighten things up a bit: A JOKE.

Old guy goes in for his prostate exam. Old wife comes along for the company but waits in the lobby. Dr asks old guy about urination, painful urination, volume of urination, frequency of urination, getting up at night to urinate, etc. Old guy says... "You know doc, last night I got up about 2am to go for a pee and when I got to the bathroom GOD HIMSELF turned on the light for me." Doctor says "How about that?" and finishes the exam.

Later doc talks alone to old guy's wife and says "You know your husband told me that he got up last night to urinate and claims that God turned on the bathroom light for him."

Old wife says "Dammit - he peed in the refrigerator again!"
Old 03-19-09, 11:31 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am a P Ca survivor. First indication that something was wrong was the HIGH PSA level of 16. After that it was down to scans and other tests to confirm that I had it- and that it was growing---Fast.

So Although the PSA test is not a true indicator that you have P Ca- it does act as an early indicator that a problem may exist and puts you on the road to getting it confirmed or not.

The only true indicator is a biopsy- and I would not like to have had one of those unless it was necessary. Luckily- that was only done after The PSA test- a Scan and a couple of other tests.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-19-09, 11:33 AM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A fellow randonneur had his cancerous prostate removed in November 2007 and went on last year to ride a full brevet series (200, 300, 400, 600km) in season.

I have another friend who had surgery on his enlarged prostate last year. He was only off the bike for a month.

As a two time (oral) cancer survivor myself, I'm booked in for my biannual prostate exam, next week.
Old 03-19-09, 12:46 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
In addition to the periodic screening and steadily improving treatment options discussed above, there is evidently a fair bit each of us can do through diet, supplements, and exercise to improve our own respective odds of surviving or ******ing prostate cancer. Saw palmetto has already been mentioned, and unless you have a nightshade allergy, it can't hurt to add more tomatoes to your diet. I take zinc and selenium supplements, as well. Replacing some of your animal protein sources with soy apparently helps, as well.

Back to treatment options, has anyone here gone under the "cyberknife," which is a highly focused radiation beam, for prostate cancer? Of course, the marketing hype makes it sound like the ideal treatment ...
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-19-09, 02:51 PM
JustCruisin
reTIRED

Bikes: raleigh,trike x,puch mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How curable is prostate cancer?
As with all cancers, "cure" rates for prostate cancer describe the percentage of patients likely remaining disease-free for a specific time. In general, the earlier the cancer is caught, the more likely it is for the patient to remain disease-free.
Because approximately 90% of all prostate cancers are detected in the local and regional stages, the cure rate for prostate cancer is very high—nearly 100% of men diagnosed at this stage will be disease-free after five years. By contrast, in the 1970s, only 67% of men diagnosed with local or regional prostate cancer were disease-free after five years.

https://www.annieappleseedproject.org/proscangroup.html

https://prostate-help.org/

Here are a couple of the sites I used to make my decisions when my cancer appeared a few years ago. The oncologist I had was also a survior of the cancer. You have to make the choices. I recommend you don't do it on one study or article. The overwelming results of the research I did suggested that it would behove you to get tested and in most cases treated in one way or another even it it watch and wait, but at leaast be aware. The new HiFu looks promising also. I had the seeds and do not regret it there are some minor problems that continue but My PSA is down to .2 from 11 so it appears it is in control now.
Old 03-19-09, 02:59 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Bud Bent
How are you doing?
I'm half way through my 8 weeks of daily radiation (except weekends) and doing well except for some bowel trouble, a little nausea, fatigue and hot flashes from the anti-hormone shots. I'm still riding almost every day, albeit a little slower.

On the good side, the radiation cured a chronic fungus problem that I had on my bottom from 29 years of wearing sweaty shorts.

Old 03-19-09, 03:01 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by JustCruisin
Because approximately 90% of all prostate cancers are detected in the local and regional stages, the cure rate for prostate cancer is very high—nearly 100% of men diagnosed at this stage will be disease-free after five years.
Nearly 100% is the key word here. My radical prostatectomy was May 1st, 2003 and I'm currently being treated for a recurrence of the same. My prognosis is excellent, though.

Old 03-19-09, 03:03 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, there's tons of money spent on detection and treatment research, but virtually none spent on PREVENTION.

For instance, some speculate that the rate of prostate cancer in India is so much lower than in the US because of our lifestyle and diet, and because in India they consume a lot of turmeric (it's the main ingredient in curry).

But there's virtually no research money available for studying prevention strategies, because nobody is going to make big money on prevention.

Check out the book "Anti-Cancer, a New Way of Life" for more on prevention strategies. The author is an MD who has dealt with 2 bouts of brain cancer, and has spent years looking into prevention. According to his research, the increasing rates of cancer in the US are almost all related to lifestyle and diet.
Old 03-19-09, 03:53 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Sadly, there's tons of money spent on detection and treatment research, but virtually none spent on PREVENTION.

For instance, some speculate that the rate of prostate cancer in India is so much lower than in the US because of our lifestyle and diet, and because in India they consume a lot of turmeric (it's the main ingredient in curry).

But there's virtually no research money available for studying prevention strategies, because nobody is going to make big money on prevention.

Check out the book "Anti-Cancer, a New Way of Life" for more on prevention strategies. The author is an MD who has dealt with 2 bouts of brain cancer, and has spent years looking into prevention. According to his research, the increasing rates of cancer in the US are almost all related to lifestyle and diet.
Hey, SSP - you just wake up from a long winter's nap?

Haven't seen a post from you in ages, and now two in one day!
Old 03-19-09, 04:12 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, SSP - you just wake up from a long winter's nap?

Haven't seen a post from you in ages, and now two in one day!
Hey, Denver.

I've been doing more lurking than posting in the past few months because:

a) I'm working two jobs (my day job, and Shasta Software/CycliStats in the evenings).

b) I have a new girlfriend (I got back together with a neat gal I'd been going with a while back).

c) I'm training like crazy this year in hopes of doing well at the National Senior Games, in San Francisco, this August.

I've dedicated this year to truly living like an athlete, with all that implies. Very careful eating, weighing food, etc. Training up to 20 hours per week, following a very structured plan based on Friel. Racing as much as I can. Sleeping as much as I can for recovery. Etc., etc.

It's an interesting experiment - on the one hand, it's great as it plays into my love of the bike and somewhat obsessive personality. On the other hand, it can be a lonely ascetic lifestyle - I don't accept many offers for social engagements, and I rarely eat out. Thankfully, my girlfriend is a triathlete who completely understands that the need for training time takes precedence over most everything else.

It will be interesting to see how I feel about it all by the end of the season, because "living like an athlete" involves giving up quite a lot. And at times it can feel frivolous and/or pointless, given all the stuff going on in the world.

But for this year, I'm committed to it...and hopefully I'll be able to step onto the awards podium at Senior Nationals and bring home some bling. As one of the California athletes, I'm hoping to score some medals for the home team!
Old 03-19-09, 06:45 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm half way through my 8 weeks of daily radiation (except weekends) and doing well except for some bowel trouble, a little nausea, fatigue and hot flashes from the anti-hormone shots. I'm still riding almost every day, albeit a little slower.

On the good side, the radiation cured a chronic fungus problem that I had on my bottom from 29 years of wearing sweaty shorts.
LOL, you have to love these toxic treatment benefits. I was mosquito proof for five months after my chemo.

Still on the bike after halfway through sounds great!
Old 03-20-09, 08:28 AM
bigjim1

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a PSA reading of 16. Doc sent me to the consultant who gave me an internal that showed no enlargement. Told me that his waiting list was been choked up by false PSAs. I had another PSA but this time took advice off website and abstained from tea,coffee, sex and bike riding for a week before the test as theses things were supposed to irritate the prostate. New reading 1.7. So who knows. My half brother [heavy smoker] has just had the radical. He had no symptons. It is not known in the family. The after affects of the biopsy and surgery are not pleasant, phyisically or mentally. One has to wonder whether if left alone the immune system will deal with it. In years to come will people look back and think what a barbaric way of dealing with something this surgical intervention is and whether it is a cure or better left alone? Much like blood letting in Tudor times. Problem is I just don't know and the medical fraternity seem as confused.
Jim
Old 03-20-09, 10:44 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
In my time spent researching cancer, the link between prostate cancer and high dairy intake showed up often enough that I cut down on dairy products (rice milk is actually pretty good).
Old 03-20-09, 11:13 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
In my time spent researching cancer, the link between prostate cancer and high dairy intake showed up often enough that I cut down on dairy products (rice milk is actually pretty good).
Yep. In fact, much of the American diet seems designed to promote cancer. It's one of the reasons we have such shockingly high rates of cancer in this country.

The World Cancer Research Fund estimates that at least 40 percent of cancers could be prevented with diet and physical activity alone. But we don't want to be told to "put down that burger", or "eat more veggies", or "get your butt off the couch".

An interview with Dr. David Servan-Schreiber (author of the Anticancer book I mentioned above) showed up this morning on the Active.com website. It's pretty good, and presents a quick overview of what he believes we can do to help reduce the rate of cancer.
Old 03-20-09, 11:53 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am sorry but Prostate Cancer- or any other form of cancer is not something you can prevent. You may assist it coming on by your lifestyle- but if you are going to get it- You are going to get it.

And as to Prostate Cancer not being a serious one-I met several sufferers when I was being diagnosed and recovering. If the Cancer stays within the Prostate- then no problem- But if it "Escapes" then the problem starts. Bone, liver and Kidneys are the main parts that become affected and in many cases it is all of them and that is when Prostate cancer becomes dangerous.

I had a Radical prostatectomy (Surgery) to overcome my problem. 5 years later and I was told how close I was to having the Cancer escape from the prostate. I was lucky in that My doctor was on the ball. Make your own luck by getting regularly tested.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-20-09, 12:12 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I am sorry but Prostate Cancer- or any other form of cancer is not something you can prevent. You may assist it coming on by your lifestyle- but if you are going to get it- You are going to get it.
I do not think this is true. More and more evidence is leading to the conclusion that Western diets and lifestyles are directly responsible for many cancers. Genetics plays a role too, of course, but many cancers could be prevented if we were to alter the foods we eat, and how much exercise we get.

Per https://www.cancerproject.org/surviva.../prostate.php:

"Who has a lower risk? Countries with more rice, soybean products, or green or yellow vegetables in the diet have far fewer prostate cancer deaths. It is not surprising that vegetarians have low rates of prostate cancer. Becoming a vegetarian in adulthood is helpful, but those who are raised as vegetarians have the lowest risk.

How does a Western diet cause cancer? Men who consume diets based on animal products tend to have higher levels of testosterone compared to men who eat plant-based diets. This increase may be due to overproduction of these hormones in the body. Also, fiber in the diet helps remove excess hormones with body wastes. Those who eat meats and dairy products miss out on a substantial amount of fiber, because animal products have no fiber at all. This hormonal boost can affect the prostate, and is likely the reason for increased cancer risk among those on meat-based diets."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.