Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A tough bunch of 50+ riders

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-09, 07:30 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today we had a scheduled ride of 55 miles in the Western part of the state. We had 5 guys and 3 gals show up. One of the gals was under 50. The rest of us were 58 to 60+ years of age. The temperature was in the high 40s with little or no wind. When it was time for the ride to start the rain also started. Not too heavy.

We rode a couple miles in the steady sprinkle when the real rain started. The first ten miles of the ride had several hills to ride and the road was fairly busy. No one turned back. No one complained, except about the fact they could not feel their feet or hands. The group kept going. The decents became more difficult than the climbs because of the cold and the pelting rain. Still, the group kept going.

We had a good time and everyone completed the ride. We had a number of stops to re-group so that no one was dropped.

My reason for writing this was to say I find it enjoyable to ride in a group tough enough to take on a day with that much rain, temperatures that barely got over 50 during the ride and everyone had a great time.

IMHO the 50+ ages has a lot to do with the toughness.
Old 03-21-09, 07:43 PM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas

IMHO the 50+ ages has a lot to do with the toughness.
We're at that perfect age: still tough enough to get 'er done and dumb enough to think it matters.
Old 03-21-09, 09:52 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
It was kinda yucky in the northwestern part of the state. Fits right in with the bronchitis (or whatever this junk is) that is currently inhabiting my 50+ body, keeping me off the bike, and making me miserable.

Were you riding in the Ouachitas?
Old 03-22-09, 06:39 AM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, in the Ouachitas. The problem we faced was that the weather forecast was only a 10% chance of rain that far south for the day. We happened to get a very cold 10% rain. No one was fully prepared with the correct clothing. Rode it anyway.
Old 03-23-09, 12:36 PM
bigjim1

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Barely got over 50!
We should be so lucky. Riding in the 30s here most of the time. But well done to you all.
Old 03-23-09, 01:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,466 Times in 1,434 Posts
Nice story, BikeArkansas.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.