Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Ballparking quantities.

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Ballparking quantities.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 02:54 PM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ballparking quantities.

NOTE: I am well aware that the best way to avoid this problem would be to cook my own food, but this is not always possible.

There are times where I have to purchase food from outside while working. My new job, like all of the jobs that preceded it, is mostly sedentary with some light walking here and there. I plan to commute by bike at least three days a week, with four being the goal.

In the days that I'm not cycling, I try to eat light to adjust to the little activity required by my job. Today, I bought some vegetables at a gourmet to go with my chicken noodle soup and bread. Unfortunately, the veggies were glazed with an unknown amount of butter.

How can I account for this on a tracking system like The Daily Plate? I usually don't care to track my caloric intake, but this week is light for me and I have the time to do so.

Thanks!

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 05-27-09, 04:38 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCrassic
Today, I bought some vegetables at a gourmet to go with my chicken noodle soup and bread. Unfortunately, the veggies were glazed with an unknown amount of butter.

How can I account for this on a tracking system like The Daily Plate? I usually don't care to track my caloric intake, but this week is light for me and I have the time to do so.
Sorry to point out the obvious, but you can't.

Ask for it without the butter or skip it
Old 05-27-09, 05:58 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just make an estimate.
Old 05-27-09, 08:46 PM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Sorry to point out the obvious, but you can't.

Ask for it without the butter or skip it
I know it had a trivially obvious answer, but I figured that there might be some way to just guess based on what you see.

It was either that or I paid $3 more elsewhere. Plus, it really wasn't that bad; I was just curious about it.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 05-27-09, 11:03 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unfortunately butter and sauces are really hard to estimate.
Old 05-29-09, 08:02 AM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In another episode, I went out to lunch with some co-workers to one of those "gourmet" chinese restaurants. Trying to be more careful, I chose the Shrimp with Mixed Vegetables. Sounds pretty lean, right?

Wrong. I got the shrimp and veggies...flooded with some brown or black sauce. At least the brown rice was neutral.

Code:
Old 05-29-09, 09:07 AM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a chef. I know how stuff is made. Let me tell you something your probably already know.

COMMERCIAL RESTAURANT FOOD IS NEVER PREPARED WITH YOUR HEALTH IN MIND!

Of course there are exceptions. I mean, even "raw" chicken has added salt because they inject it with sodium solution.
Old 05-29-09, 10:58 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
for some people, this is eating healthy :

Old 05-29-09, 01:56 PM
MrCrassic 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kuan
I'm a chef. I know how stuff is made. Let me tell you something your probably already know.

COMMERCIAL RESTAURANT FOOD IS NEVER PREPARED WITH YOUR HEALTH IN MIND!

Of course there are exceptions. I mean, even "raw" chicken has added salt because they inject it with sodium solution.
Well, you don't need to be a chef to know that. You watch the Food Network, right?

Paula Dean is the heatlh expert. I consult her shows for my health-conscious dinners.

Originally Posted by timmhaan
for some people, this is eating healthy :

LOL; should've thrown another slice for the calcium.

Code: