Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Esperance to Albany [Western Australia] 750 kms in 10 Days

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-17, 10:40 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts

DAY 1 - POST 1 - ESPERANCE TO ROSES-QALLUP BEACH

I recently completed a ride from Esperance to Albany in Western Australia. As I get my act together and process the photos I will share a few here, just for a taste of riding in my part of the world.

Todays riding was 52.9 km and in an overall time for the day of six hours and third six minutes.

Esperance foreshore before heading out on my 10 day 750 km ride from Esperance to Albany in Western Australia.

Dropped in on the not so Pink Lake.

Telegraph Road, Esperance. Having left the minor road, now on the track part heading through to Murray Road.

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-14-18 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 04:40 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Nice! Looking forward to reading about your trip and seeing the pictures. A good friend of mine grew up in Esperance, although his family lives in Holbrook now.
Old 12-21-17, 06:57 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Originally Posted by DanBell
Nice! Looking forward to reading about your trip and seeing the pictures. A good friend of mine grew up in Esperance, although his family lives in Holbrook now.
Thanks. Will add some more photos as soon as I can. I seem to take longer to process photos/write-up notes than I do to do the actual ride
Old 12-21-17, 10:30 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Wow, that's funny. There's an Esperance NY to Albany NY bike route on NY route 20 in the US but that's only 34 miles. The title of your post had me confused. Anyway, looks like an awesome ride.
Old 12-22-17, 06:32 AM
Aushiker

Finishing off the first day’s riding …

Playing with flies

Now on Murray Road, Dalyup within an hour's ride of the lime quarry and Quallup Lake and then Roses-Quallup Beach my destination for the day.

Overlooking Roses-Quallup Beach. The blowout in the distance was my access to the beach, my camping spot for the night.

I made the beach. Setting up the Tarptent Double Rainbow on Roses-Quallup Beach. Pretty windy but the tent handled it fine.

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-14-18 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-22-17, 06:42 AM
Aushiker

Blue-tongue lizard [actually a skink] crossing Telegraph Road just off the South Coast Highway. They cross so slowly which means they are often squashed … so sad. At least this one and his/her partner crossed safely this time.

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-15-18 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-24-17, 06:49 AM
Aushiker

Day 2: Roses-Quallup Beach to Quagi Beach - 35.5 km - Elapsed Time 8 hours 16 minutes in total

View from the tent as first light appears over the horizon at Roses-Quallup Beach, Monjingup, Western Australia

The first hour of the day was spent climbing the blowout from Roses-Quallup Beach, Monjingup, Western Australia up to the ridge line. It is hard to capture the steepness or difficulty of the climb, but no riding was to be had this first hour.

A moment's pause at Munroe Point as I look west to Warrenup Beach and on to my destination for the day Quagi Beach. The view is very deceptive; not reflective of what was about to come my way.

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-18-18 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-24-17, 12:44 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Geez Louise, 8hrs to go 35k, ouch.

In the last shot, what is the out of focus object?
Old 12-24-17, 05:28 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by djb
Geez Louise, 8hrs to go 35k, ouch.

In the last shot, what is the out of focus object?
Light, a Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ2 Luxos.
Old 12-24-17, 09:21 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Aushiker
I see, I see.
Old 12-24-17, 11:36 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Nice photos.

I had to google for Esperance (and wow! its to the East of Albany... )

I did Perth to Margaret River last year and it was a really nice place to cycle.

Did you choose dirt/sand routes specifically, or is it an unavoidable part of the route?
Old 12-25-17, 06:17 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by pinholecam
Did you choose dirt/sand routes specifically, or is it an unavoidable part of the route?
Chose them specifically. I am very much into "chasing the dirt". More so in this area where the more direct alternative, the South Coast Highway lacks a shoulder and at this time of the year has a lot of road train traffic hauling grain, logs and chips.
Old 12-25-17, 06:23 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Aushiker
Chose them specifically. I am very much into "chasing the dirt". More so in this area where the more direct alternative, the South Coast Highway lacks a shoulder and at this time of the year has a lot of road train traffic hauling grain, logs and chips.
Come on, let's not beat around the bush, he bought a fat bike so he had no choice but to choose a route like this... I'd do the same!
Old 12-25-17, 06:48 PM
Aushiker

Day 3 [Day 2 riding] continued: Roses-Quallup Beach to Quagi Beach - 35.5 km - Elapsed Time 8 hours 16 minutes in total

A moment's pause at Munroe Point as I take in the 4WD track and my next hour or three's riding. The view is very deceptive; not reflective of what was about to come my way.

A moment's pause on the 4WD track as I work my way west to Barker Inlet Beach. This was one hour into the ride of the track and only a few kilometres along the way.

At the eastern end of Barker Inlet Beach. Google Maps said there was a track here. I guess a rock fall is a track right? Well it worked out okay, I went down it, fingers crossed

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-19-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-26-17, 07:55 AM
Aushiker

Day 2 [Part 3]: Roses-Quallup Beach to Quagi Beach - 35.5 km - Elapsed Time 8 hours 16 minutes in total

Now on Barker Inlet Beach in the Stokes National Park. Definitely the highlight of the day's riding. The Salsa Mukluk handled it fine; I only dropped the tyre pressures to around 12 PSI.

Stopped for lunch here on the beach. This was on day 2 of my 10 day 750 km ride from Esperance to Albany in Western Australia.

An interesting rock formation on Barker Inlet Beach that caught my eye.

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-21-18 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-28-17, 12:55 AM
Aushiker

Day 2 [Part 4]: Roses-Quallup Beach to Quagi Beach - 35.5 km - Elapsed Time 8 hours 16 minutes in total

The effects of climate change? Salt plains (lakes) in Stokes National Park.

The last stop on Farrells Road before my destination for the day, Quagi Beach in the Stokes National Park.

Relaxed, recovered and refreshed Quagi Beach in the Stokes National Park as day 2 comes to an end.

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-24-18 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-28-17, 06:30 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
This looks fantastic! Congrats on a great trip! Loved it.
Old 12-28-17, 06:44 AM
djb

Ain't a dog, that be a baby dragon.
Old 12-28-17, 07:18 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
This looks fantastic! Congrats on a great trip! Loved it.
Thanks.
Old 12-29-17, 06:31 PM
Aushiker

Day 2 coming to an end: Roses-Quallup Beach to Quagi Beach - 35.5 km - Elapsed Time 8 hours 16 minutes in total

Quagi Beach camping area in the Stokes National Park is very much car focused. The camping bays are all hard-packed so unless you have a free-standing tent you need to find a soft bit of ground as I did. The tent is a Tarptent Double Rainbow.

A change in pace; a Banksia, maybe a B. integrifolia sharing my camping space at Quagi Beach camping ground.

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-25-18 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-29-17, 06:46 PM
Aushiker

THURSDAY DECEMBER 7 - DAY 4 QUAGI BEACH TO MUNGLINUP BEACH CARAVAN PARK

A longer day today at 78.4 km and an overall time of eight hours. It was all road riding with a mix of bitumen, minor 2WD roads and Munglinup Beach Road which I am sure is going for the most corrugated road in Australia.

This abandon property on the corner of Sears Road and the South Coast Highway caught my attention so a short break from riding to take in my other passion, photography.

This abandon woolshed on the corner of Sears Road and the South Coast Highway caught my attention so a short break from riding to take in my other passion, photography.

Back on the South Coast Highway; some days highway riding was unavoidable. Today was one such day. Despite the lack of shoulder the traffic volumes where not to bad and hence it was not an overly bad road to ride on.

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-28-18 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-30-17, 07:06 PM
Aushiker

Day 3 Continued … Quagi Beach to Munglinup Beach Caravan Park

The Great Southern Land. As the heat builds, the flies comes, and life on the farm continues. Straw being bailed to provide cattle feed over the long hot summer months.

Young River Station looking a little tired and depilated, a decline it seems from its heyday in the early 2000s. Paused here whilst riding the South Coastal Highway.

The bike normally sends the cattle scattering; not these three. They stood their ground eying me off. Thankfully for the fence

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-29-18 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 10:56 PM
Aushiker

Day 3 Completed … Quagi Beach to Munglinup Beach Caravan Park

Off the South Coast Highway now for the next two days . Springdale Road is a mix of dirt and bitumen and provides an alternative route into Hopetoun if you do not mind a bit of gravel riding. It has been in good condition both times I have ridden it which says something for the minor roads around here.

Lunching in luxury . A nameless ephemeral creek which must flow hard and fast when it does given the culvert works here was my lunch stop today. A change from the scrub on the side of a road.

Late harvesting on Munglinup Beach Road. Case IH equipment seems popular around here so not surprised to see a Case IH 8120 harvester in action.

Last edited by Aushiker; 01-31-18 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-03-18, 12:40 AM
Aushiker

Day 4 [Part 1]: Quagi Beach to Munglinup Beach Caravan Park - 78.4 km - Elapsed Time 8 hours.

Breaking camp at the Munglinup Beach Caravan Park. I think I paid around $25 for an unpowered tent site and for that privilege I got to share the bit of grass with the generator which went all night. Funny that didn't get mention when I booked in.

Taking a break on the edge of the Lake Shaster Nature Reserve.

Love the name of this bay, Starvation Boat Harbour. I wonder what had happened to give it this name? Good camping at the harbour but I bypassed it this ride.
Old 01-04-18, 01:46 AM
Aushiker

Day 4 [Part 2]: Quagi Beach to Munglinup Beach Caravan Park - 78.4 km - Elapsed Time 8 hours.

Back on the coast and now in a completely different environment. The area is known for its limestone as can be seen from the Southern Ocean East Road and the mining of lime. This is also the locality for Starvation Boat Harbour.

Thanks to Greg for identifying this plant for me; should have realised it was a gumnut! Greg is pretty sure it is a Eucalyptus preissiana Schauer [Bell-fruited Mallee].

Well the sign on the Southern Ocean East Road did say it was closed. Of course I had to ignore it; whoops. Swimming with tiger snakes and a fatbike where not quite what I had in mind for this ride : The outcome? A detour of some 42 kilometres.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.