Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Putting links in posts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 01:57 PM
Raleigh71

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Putting links in posts.

If this has already been discussed, please disregard.

When folks post a link, such as to an ebay ad, Craigslist ad, or other on-line link, they should be aware that the link will expire in a relatively short period of time, measured in a time frame of 1-2 months in the case of ebay or Craigslist postings.

But there's a way around: do a page capture in the form of a .jpg, and attach that to your Bike Forums posting.

This might be useful as a "sticky" recommendation.
Likes For Raleigh71:
Old 05-22-23, 03:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
not always easy for someone to capture the screen, save it as a file, attach it to post for another person.
https://web.archive.org/
You may try the link above to find what you are looking for.
Old 05-22-23, 04:27 PM
Raleigh71

Originally Posted by Troul
not always easy for someone to capture the screen, save it as a file, attach it to post for another person.
You may try the link above to find what you are looking for.
It's no more than a few mouse clicks on a computer.

I just saved a page from ebay, attached. I used photoshop 2.0 from around 1991 to crop it.

It shouldn't be any big deal to save a photo in 2023

Old 05-23-23, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Most of us aren't considering our replies in threads to be viewed as historical documentation after the initial time the conversation happened. So failed links showing up to the "archeologist" of such long dead discussions isn't a important thing to us.

But I do agree that it's easy to do and I do use that method quite often. However like anything else, getting your message out to those that really need to be aware of it is probably a unlikely thing. You sort'a will just be preaching to the choir.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-23-23 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-23-23, 10:21 AM
Raleigh71

Originally Posted by Iride01
Most of us aren't considering our replies in threads to be viewed as historical documentation after the initial time the conversation happened. So failed links showing up to the "archeologist" of such long dead discussions isn't a important thing to us.

But I do agree that it's easy to do and I do use that method quite often. However like anything else, getting your message out to those that really need to be aware of it is probably a unlikely thing. You sort'a will just be preaching to the choir.

I forget what the topic was I was researching on this website, but all the conversation strings that came up were a few years old, and had dead links. I would have liked to have seen the info in the links.
Old 05-23-23, 10:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh71
I forget what the topic was I was researching on this website, but all the conversation strings that came up were a few years old, and had dead links. I would have liked to have seen the info in the links.
I see that from time time & wish the person put in the product's brand, name & brief description, so even tho the link might be dead, we can still copy/paste the item into a search engine. but instead they write something like, "I bought this & I like it" & then the dead link. I mean, at least tell what the thing is ...

but I like the screen grab idea too

old threads are still useful, when we do searches on topics. even if we don't respond & revive the thread, the info can still be helpful
Old 05-23-23, 04:51 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh71
It's no more than a few mouse clicks on a computer.

I just saved a page from ebay, attached. I used photoshop 2.0 from around 1991 to crop it.

It shouldn't be any big deal to save a photo in 2023

but does the link that i provided solve for the main concern to your issue?
Old 05-23-23, 08:29 PM
Raleigh71

Originally Posted by Troul
but does the link that i provided solve for the main concern to your issue?
So here's a long deleted Craigslist link from this website:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/bik/1261698840.html

Here's your website:

When you plug the long-delated Craigslist ad into the website archive, here's what you get (below). Unless I'm doing something wrong, this doesn't tell me much.

Old 05-24-23, 08:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
One of the many issues I have with old threads is that the information in them might be outdated and old thinking. So they should remain dead and a new conversation on the subject started that might get some updated information and thinking on the issue. Otherwise the re-awakening of the dead thread just many times serves to perpetuate dogma that has grown up around that issue.

Not that this thread subject is about revival of old threads but merely wanting to see information that was linked. However if someone is wanting information about something, then just ask... in a new thread. Link to the old thread in the new thread if there is something really pertinent.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-24-23 at 08:58 AM.