Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: How long have you been car light or car free?
Car light less than 1 year
15.87%
Car free less than 1 year
9.13%
Car light less than 5 years
12.92%
Car free less than 5 years
11.25%
Car light more than 5 years
9.04%
Car free more than 5 years
21.49%
Contemplating a car light or car free change
17.80%
Not interested in becoming car light or car free
2.49%
Voters: 1084. You may not vote on this poll

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 01:54 AM
bigdummy27

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Surly Crosscheck, Cetma Cargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on BF off and on when i was doing research on my current bikes but I have never been a frequent poster. I think that will change now that I'm car free. Just sold it last month and have been taking the subway here in NYC. Starting this week I'm going to put the bikes to good use since I just added an electric motor to the bike and now it is practical for me to ride to work.
Old 09-13-13, 01:43 PM
GreatWhiteShark

Location: Because of Internet lack of security only give USA, here; want more simply ask, through messaging.

Bikes: I think I just found out (happy to finally be able to find out) that my bicycle is Raleigh's '2007 Venture 3.0 SR NEX-4000!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been Truck Light (drive it so little it is a struggle to keep it functioning; rarely not Automobile Pooling with relatives, just to get somewhere at night or move a heck of a lot of stuff and weight, avg. 50-lbs a ride) for at least 5-years, but I really did mark when it started. Well, the biggest view the changed is my support for bicyclist riders safety, as I have had BLANKING BLANKS threaten and attempted to injure my health and bicycle and had drivers that are so ignorant or tired that they have threaten and attempted to injure my health and bicycle and had a zoned out/tired immigrant worker's (I am guessing) truck actually run over my bike tire. I have had someone steal my first adult bicycle, from local college's bicycle rack and locked; since local college's security/police have paid more attention. When I first started riding to local college, even had to have/LUCKY ENOUGH to have police park every few intersections on my route to pull over automobiles that endangered my life, they used to play chicken with me. Now, I cannot get any police to take anything serious, I live in an unincorporated area that really is an outlaw area and both local city and county have extremely complicated jurisdiction, depending upon what it is and where you are exactly. Plus, I am a Beings Rights Protester that protests the local city's rodeo; which I get city and state cops threats all the time for and thus, does not make me popular with them. Even had to report two-situations, police car for scaring THE BLANK out of me, by driving up behind me and laying on the horn, for no reason, and police park motorcycles on public sidewalks (I am allowed to ride on and many other pedestrians like to use). both the city's and county's reporting to non-emergency police departments' representatives always trying make it hard for me to call; though I know the laws and have what the police use. A runner refuse to move to the right side of the two way/two lanes roads, right up until we are feet away. Given the conditioning needed for people to respect what you need and the dangers of not following exactly the routines and laws (even parking on roads and sidewalks), only back down, when immediate threats to my life.

Another view that has changed is the appreciation that riding my bicycle provides me.

Lastly, it slowed my down as a person, and guess slowed me down as I bicycle, ride the public transportation and rarely drive where I live, though because of cost of gas and tickets (I have long hair so cops used to love pulling me over) I slowed down my driving long ago.

I also should make known that I did not just start bicycle riding more, let alone Truck Light, because it was cheaper, heck not even top reason, but I did it because it helps 1st. Save The Earth, 2nd. Save The Animals, 3rd. healthier Lifestyle in so many ways, 4th. Cheaper and 5th. Easier for me to support local and small business Bicycle Mechanic and friend, at least it was before bank took his home/work place. I guess now, I will try to be my own Bicycle Mechanic.

I think the terms should use 'Automobile', gives less excuses, for truck and bicycle drivers.

Last edited by GreatWhiteShark; 10-21-13 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added I think the terms should use 'Automobile', gives less excuses, for truck and bicycle drivers.
Old 09-16-13, 05:09 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
GreatW,

I'm glad that you have ditched the truck. If everyone did what you have succeeded in doing, Mother Earth would not be struggling so hard. I very much appreciate your efforts in animal rights and envirionmental (and personal) health.
I hear what you are saying about careless and even malicious motorists: Yesterday, on my weekly, solo, long ride, in two separate incidences, a car, travelling in my direction, pulled into a parking lot in front of me, passing me no more than ten feet away. I don't believe it was malice: I think it was just the result of medication or daydreaming. Keep an eye on them, but don't let it ruin the fun of your ride. Thanks again for your efforts. Paul
Old 09-16-13, 05:13 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Good to hear from you, Youa. Let us know more about going car-free in Netherlands!
Old 09-16-13, 10:09 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteShark
I have been Truck Light (drive it so little it is a struggle to keep it functioning; rarely not Automobile Pooling with relatives, just to get somewhere at night or move a heck of a lot of stuff and weight, avg. 50-lbs a ride) for at least 5-years, but I really did mark when it started. Well, the biggest view the changed is my support for bicyclist riders safety, as I have had BLANKING BLANKS threaten and attempted to injure my health and bicycle and had drivers that are so ignorant or tired that they have threaten and attempted to injure my health and bicycle and had a zoned out/tired immigrant worker's (I am guessing) truck actually run over my bike tire. I have had someone steal my first adult bicycle, from local college's bicycle rack and locked; since local college's security/police have paid more attention. When I first started riding to local college, even had to have/LUCKY ENOUGH to have police park every few intersections on my route to pull over automobiles that endangered my life, they used to play chicken with me. Now, I cannot get any police to take anything serious, I live in an unincorporated area that really is an outlaw area and both local city and county have extremely complicated jurisdiction, depending upon what it is and where you are exactly. Plus, I am a Beings Rights Protester that protests the local city's rodeo; which I get city and state cops threats all the time for and thus, does not make me popular with them. Even had to report two-situations, police car for scaring THE BLANK out of me, by driving up behind me and laying on the horn, for no reason, and police park motorcycles on public sidewalks (I am allowed to ride on and many other pedestrians like to use). both the city's and county's reporting to non-emergency police departments' representatives always trying make it hard for me to call; though I know the laws and have what the police use. A runner refuse to move to the right side of the two way/two lanes roads, right up until we are feet away. Given the conditioning needed for people to respect what you need and the dangers of not following exactly the routines and laws (even parking on roads and sidewalks), only back down, when immediate threats to my life.

Another view that has changed is the appreciation that riding my bicycle provides me.

Lastly, it slowed my down as a person, and guess slowed me down as I bicycle, ride the public transportation and rarely drive where I live, though because of cost of gas and tickets (I have long hair so cops used to love pulling me over) I slowed down my driving long ago.

I also should make known that I did not just start bicycle riding more, let alone Truck Light, because it was cheaper, heck not even top reason, but I did it because it helps 1st. Save The Earth, 2nd. Save The Animals, 3rd. healthier Lifestyle in so many ways, 4th. Cheaper and 5th. Easier for me to support local and small business Bicycle Mechanic and friend, at least it was before bank took his home/work place. I guess now, I will try to be my own Bicycle Mechanic.

I think the terms should use 'Automobile', gives less excuses, for truck and bicycle drivers.
welcome to the forum!

Sorry, but I can't read this font/color combo, as my eyeballs are in their middle-aged years. Please consider using the default font/color, which was selected for ease of reading.

You reveal your unique character through the content of your posts, not their appearance.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 09-16-13 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-17-13, 04:39 PM
GreatWhiteShark

Location: Because of Internet lack of security only give USA, here; want more simply ask, through messaging.

Bikes: I think I just found out (happy to finally be able to find out) that my bicycle is Raleigh's '2007 Venture 3.0 SR NEX-4000!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please delete this post

Last edited by GreatWhiteShark; 09-23-13 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Firgured out post was not to me.
Old 09-17-13, 04:41 PM
GreatWhiteShark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I just found out (happy to finally be able to find out) that my bicycle is Raleigh's '2007 Venture 3.0 SR NEX-4000! YES, finally!
Old 09-18-13, 07:47 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteShark
I think I just found out (happy to finally be able to find out) that my bicycle is Raleigh's '2007 Venture 3.0 SR NEX-4000! YES, finally!
I bet I know the color
Old 09-23-13, 05:24 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

No, GreatW, I was talking to Youaintgotjack.
Old 09-23-13, 05:31 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

GreatW, that Venture seems like a really nice bike! I like the suspension seatpost. I got one on my Raleigh M80, too. (I had to replace the original after 9 years). I see you have suspension forks, too. Those are probably adjustable, if you want the ride harder or softer.
Old 09-23-13, 08:03 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

​wtf??!!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-23-13, 01:36 PM
GreatWhiteShark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
GreatW,

I'm glad that you have ditched the truck. If everyone did what you have succeeded in doing, Mother Earth would not be struggling so hard. I very much appreciate your efforts in animal rights and envirionmental (and personal) health.
I hear what you are saying about careless and even malicious motorists: Yesterday, on my weekly, solo, long ride, in two separate incidences, a car, travelling in my direction, pulled into a parking lot in front of me, passing me no more than ten feet away. I don't believe it was malice: I think it was just the result of medication or daydreaming. Keep an eye on them, but don't let it ruin the fun of your ride. Thanks again for your efforts. Paul
Paul, 1989Pre,

I do not want to take too much credit, there are so many more members here that are able to completely ditch their automobiles; I do use it when cannot automobile pool at night or too much for me to carry on my bicycle.
Thank you; I really appreciate that, and glad to read there are another out there like me. Same to you, Paul!

Yeah, those solo rides are probably a lot more encouraging for those BLANKING drivers. Really 10-ft. is not bad, gives you what 5-ft. to react (depending how fast you are going).

There is no one else out there for me (cops and even State/County/City Gov.s do not care, beyond I am bugging them to do something), but me, so I have too take it extremely serious (yelling, purposely riding in the middle of roadways, in which BLANKING drivers wants to hug me as the drive by, and giving the birds, arguments feet away at lights). That is not to say I do not love my rides, when BLANKING drivers are not around. Seen some beautiful wildlife and scenery and helped get lost animals either back to their care takers or adopted; cannot get much better than that.

Thank you; I really appreciate that, and glad to read there are another out there like me. Same to you, Paul!
Old 09-23-13, 01:39 PM
GreatWhiteShark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I bet I know the color
Yes, it is Dark Red, and yes, that was one of the reasons I selected that bicycle, for my family to purchase it for my birthday gift. Now, it was not even the second-level reason.
Old 09-23-13, 01:44 PM
GreatWhiteShark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
GreatW, that Venture seems like a really nice bike! I like the suspension seatpost. I got one on my Raleigh M80, too. (I had to replace the original after 9 years). I see you have suspension forks, too. Those are probably adjustable, if you want the ride harder or softer.
Yeah, Thank You, I am trying to find the best seat to replace the one I have (original), I used to have one of those bicycle seats that just have two-square pads connected through springs and metal to the connection to the seat-post, only one's but muscles touch the two-pads, and I want to get the best one.
Old 09-27-13, 07:37 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Are we back at the default font color now? My eyes are killing me.
Old 09-27-13, 08:01 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by gerv
Are we back at the default font color now? My eyes are killing me.
I hope so. They looked like interesting posts, but I couldn't read them.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-30-13, 06:28 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Try out the Serfas RX gel seat. It has very favorable reviews at mtbr.com and mine was very soft and supportive. (The only mtb seat I have owned so far that is comfortable enough for long rides (30M-plus).
You can get it in either the softer shell or the coarser shell, which supposedly takes more wear-and-tear and abuse. Not sure if they still make the RX, but Ebay usually has a few.
Old 09-30-13, 12:43 PM
bananasmoothie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sooo does using a motorcycle count as car light for the purpose of this sub forum?
Old 09-30-13, 12:56 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by bananasmoothie
Sooo does using a motorcycle count as car light for the purpose of this sub forum?
If you like; anything counts as car light if the claimant posts that status on this sub forum.
Old 09-30-13, 05:28 PM
bananasmoothie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wondered if I'd be "accepted". I do like to bike but not for commuting. I get too sweaty and it takes too long. Motorcycle works better. Then car if I need to carry lots of stuff or if it's going to rain. Not because I'm scared of getting wet, I just don't feel safe.
Old 09-30-13, 07:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Riding a bike is generally safer than being in a car, certainly than on a motorcycle. I'm not saying any of these vehicles is insane, just that a bicycle is not more dangerous than motor vehicles. I know most think it is, but it's not true.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-07-13, 01:45 AM
technoD

Bikes: trek 820, schwinn highlander,hardtail 29er, Currie I-Zip 26" Electric bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
Riding a bike is generally safer than being in a car, certainly than on a motorcycle. I'm not saying any of these vehicles is insane, just that a bicycle is not more dangerous than motor vehicles. I know most think it is, but it's not true.
Agreed. When biking you can hear approaching vehicles, sudden braking well in time to take defensive riding maneuvers, which is not an option otherwise.
Old 10-07-13, 11:51 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by bananasmoothie
IMO, the only thing that "counts" on this forum is an interest or desire in using cars less, and using other transportation more (especially bicycles). Most members do have cars in the household, including many of the frequent posters. I myself am now carlight, not carfree. Personally, I consider motorcycles to be in the same category as cars, but many here would disagree.

In other words... WELCOME TO LCF!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-07-13, 02:31 PM
GreatWhiteShark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
noglider,

From my experiences you could not be more wrong.

I was at The Public Transportation Department's, for my state, seminar about bicycle safety and the focus started on all being bicyclist fault and lack of education of how to safely ride and even one-Fire Truck driver, from the county's fire department, admitted she did not look for bicyclist, but she did worry about automobiles. Plus, the nearest city and county non-emergency police (both apply to where I bicycle and live) just want me to stop bugging them to act on automobile drivers and Etc. threatening my safety, at times trying to make sure I know what is violation, I have read the rules and have manual for the police departments, and they lying about what is violation.

Originally Posted by noglider
Old 10-07-13, 05:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
greatwhiteshark:

In car-bike accidents, the cyclist is at fault half the time. That means that if you are skilled and knowledgeable, you can reduce your risk of a car-bike accident by about 50%. Also, lots of bike accidents involve the bike and no other vehicle, i.e. they are the cyclist falling off the bike. Skill can reduce that by much more than 50%. I don't fall often, for example.

Sounds like your transportation department is highly ignorant and sees cyclists as nuisances. It's no wonder, if they think cyclists cause their own problems.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.