Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can ATAC cleat position be adjusted?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-29-22, 12:31 AM
ese002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My left knee wants to fall outward causing me pain on the inside. If I focus and force that knee in, I can ride without pain but it doesn't take much ill attention for the aching to begin. Is there a way to fix this? If I understand correctly, moving the cleat to the outside should help but neither the shoes nor the cleat have slots.
Old 01-29-22, 03:47 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
No. Time is forward and backwards adjustable only(unless there is some funky time atac cleat I don't know about). Shimano and Crankborthers have some side to side adjustment built into the cleats, and it looks like some CB cleats have it and some don't. I've only ever ran time atacs.
Old 01-29-22, 10:31 AM
ese002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
No. Time is forward and backwards adjustable only(unless there is some funky time atac cleat I don't know about). Shimano and Crankborthers have some side to side adjustment built into the cleats, and it looks like some CB cleats have it and some don't. I've only ever ran time atacs.
How would even forward/backward be adjusted? Do you mean flipping the cleat over?
Old 01-29-22, 11:03 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Most 2 bolt (SPD) shoes are slotted, allowing for fore/aft movement of the clear. If you are looking for your feet to be further apart, you can install thin washers between the pedal and crank arm for small adjustments, or install pedal extenders for larger adjustments. The BikeFit website has all of this stuff available for sale.
Old 01-29-22, 11:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ese002
How would even forward/backward be adjusted? Do you mean flipping the cleat over?
Every clipless cycling shoe for mtb (2 bolt) cleats I have ever seen has two slots that the two cleat bolts go through that allow fore/aft as well as some rotational adjustment.

Like this:

Old 01-30-22, 04:45 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
you can slightly position the cleat to kinda of point to the left or right, but it's very little. My right foot tend to point in, so when I put my ATAC cleats on, the right foot nose of the cleat is positioned a little right to straighten the foot a little.

Old 01-30-22, 07:52 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by ese002
You've never noticed the slots in the sole of your shoes? And the 4 hole mounting plates?
Old 01-31-22, 12:42 AM
ese002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You've never noticed the slots in the sole of your shoes? And the 4 hole mounting plates?
My shoes have only a single pair of holes that match the spacing of the ATAC cleat. Nor is it obvious that the platform can be shifted. After Kapusta's post I went back to shoes and discovered that if I push a hex wrench into one of the holes when no cleat was installed, I could shift the plate up and down. Good to know, even if it isn't obviously a solution for the problem at hand.
Old 02-12-22, 01:22 PM
ese002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
Most 2 bolt (SPD) shoes are slotted, allowing for fore/aft movement of the clear. If you are looking for your feet to be further apart, you can install thin washers between the pedal and crank arm for small adjustments, or install pedal extenders for larger adjustments. The BikeFit website has all of this stuff available for sale.
Unfortunately, BikeFit is out of stock for an indefinite period. Does anyone know of an equivalent product that is actually available? I tried Kneesavers but when I got it home I realized that the extender has only wrench flats, no hex socket. Since the ATAC has only a hex socket, the combination leaves no reliable way to tighten or remove the pedal.

​​​​​​​
Old 02-16-22, 03:34 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Very long time since I used my ATAC pedals. The cleats, or at least my aged cleats, are not symmetrical. If memory serves it was 5 degrees rotation to unclick in one direction and 15 in the other. Move the cleats from left shoe to right shoe and the long swing is on the other side. Do you have any available rotation in mounting the cleats? I had my cleats on two different pairs of shoes and they were not same. What I am suggesting is you try rotating the cleat so that it becomes firm as soon as your knee begins to drift. Not sure if any of this will apply for you but if it does worth a try.