Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The most effective anti-aging workout, backed by science...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The most effective anti-aging workout, backed by science...

Old 08-28-20, 05:24 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I find that with solo riding, I don't really need to think about creating intervals because there's going to be parts on a long ride I'm naturally going to want to ride fast and there's always at least a couple big hills to push myself up. Do you monitor your heart when you ride?

​​​​​​
I don't.
Old 08-28-20, 06:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I don't.
Basically, I think you and I are doing about the same thing, just at different distances and, I suspect, speeds. Don't get me wrong, I do some high intensity riding, I just don't monitor the heart rate, time it, etc. I just ride hard when I feel like it and slow a bit when I don't.

I cannot tell you how much I admire that your riding ability is improving at age 74. Truly impressive.

I find there's a sense of adventure and fun in solo riding that I just don't get with a group, and that motivates me to do more than I otherwise would. I really don't like to have to decide everything by committee or deal with other people's expectations, insecurities, etc.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-28-20, 08:26 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
I think you're kidding yourself if you think 10 minutes of any kind of workout is making much of a difference, and that's not the HIIT programs I've seen described as being effective. Whatever, I really don't have enough interest in HIIT to want to find out more or argue about it. I don't want to wear heart monitors and do the kind of scheduling required to make something like that a program. I do, however, love riding someplace and riding bloody fast when and if I feel like it. I get that my preferences and aversions to structure are not yours, that was my point. HIIT is, basically, a shortcut way of getting similar benefits to those of endurance riding. If I'm riding a fairly vigorous 175-225 miles a week (which I am), there's really no good reason to add HIIT to my routines.

Even the article says the best program is the one you can stick with. Here there's a trade-off of time vs. the pleasure of JRA. I'm not losing any health benefits, and I'm not having to do a type of riding I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy. The appeal to me of cycling is it feels like play. HIIT would kill that for me.
Hills=HIIT.
Old 08-28-20, 08:51 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
There's no easy answer. All of these studies are biased by the necessity of their suppositions and perspectives of their creators.

In other words - can we really ask the right questions to obtain really objective results?

As it happens I was part of several studies having to do with types of exercise and disease prevention. I saw first hand how researchers prioritize results that enhances their hypothesis.

In the case of the above comments - there's some truth - to all of them......
Likes For Richard Cranium:
Old 08-28-20, 09:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by burritos
Hills=HIIT.

That's not true. HIIT is a system of timed periods of high intensity alternating with timed periods of less intense and also specifying a maximum cardiac effort. If you can find hills that perfectly attune to those specified intervals, enjoy. But if I'm not wearing a monitor to confirm I'm hitting the targeted heart rate, I am not engaged in HIIT. That doesn't mean that none of my riding is intense. I hit 30 mph on the flat during an 80 mile ride last Sunday.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-28-20 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 10:01 AM
burritos

That's not true. HIIT is a system of timed periods of high intensity alternating with timed periods of less intense and also specifying a maximum cardiac effort. If you can find hills that perfectly attune to those specified intervals, enjoy. But if I'm not wearing a monitor to confirm I'm hitting the targeted heart rate, I am not engaged in HIIT. That doesn't mean that none of my riding is intense. I hit 30 mph on the flat during an 80 mile ride last Sunday.
You're probably right. I don't wear a monitor, but for me when I go up hills of various grades and I have to downshift cause I'm fatiguing, I figure, that's good enough.
Likes For burritos:
Old 08-28-20, 10:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You're probably right. I don't wear a monitor, but for me when I go up hills of various grades and I have to downshift cause I'm fatiguing, I figure, that's good enough.

That's always been my logic. I'm going to do that at least a couple times on any 100 mile ride.

I once got so annoyed with an argument I was having on BF with a guy who was attacking my gearing choices that I went out and climbed a pretty good sized hill in a 53x11 gear combo just because he said it couldn't be done. It actually was easier than I thought it would be, but not easy enough that I ever want to do it again.

Never underestimate spite as a motivator.
Old 08-28-20, 10:24 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts

Same here, on the really tough hills where I have to downshift, If I am not at the 85% heart rate, I must be close to it. I am breathing very heavy and my tongue is hanging out.
Likes For frogman:
Old 08-28-20, 02:58 PM
burritos

When the sweat is just raining down my face and stinging my eyeballs and it's only 65 degrees out, I don't need a heart monitor to tell me my mitochondria are redlining.
Old 08-28-20, 03:12 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Hills=HIIT.
No it doesn't....The intensity and duration of your effort determines if something is HIIT or not...I've climbed many hills in zone 2 which is an aerobic zone and not even close to HITT.
Old 08-28-20, 04:52 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by wolfchild
No it doesn't....The intensity and duration of your effort determines if something is HIIT or not...I've climbed many hills in zone 2 which is an aerobic zone and not even close to HITT.
Ok.
Old 08-29-20, 11:08 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
This discussion has me curious if I am getting up to 85% heart rate on my "tough" climbs that I think I am. Don't have a heart rate monitor, maybe I should get one..............
Old 08-30-20, 02:20 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
The longest living population, with the highest number of centenarians per capita, is the Okinawans.
The second longest living population is the Seventh Day Adventists.
These 2 groups of people aren't exactly known for their exercises. What they're known for is eating a lot of plants and relatively very little animal protein.
And in the case of the Okinawans, they don't need much medications to live long, meaning, they're not living longer due to drugs (but they do suffer from memory loss, I guess this is one of the consequences of living so long).

If you're into anti-aging, then diet plays a much more important role than any exercising routing ever will.
Classic "is correlation causation" problem...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_diet
People from the Ryukyu Islands (of which Okinawa is the largest) have a life expectancy among the highest in the world

While the traditional diet has been subjected to repeated claims, population surveys by the Statistics Bureau of Japan reveals that, of all 47 prefectures, Okinawa has the single lowest average intake of vegetables and fruit, and the single highest average intake of beer, KFC, and raw meat.

Some people believe it's the diet...but living on islands it could be genetic...or lifestyle...
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 08-30-20, 03:01 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
I’m still trying to figure out “methylate your DNA”. What a bunch of nonsense and supported with no science at all. I suggest you go out and ride.
Old 08-30-20, 03:37 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Classic "is correlation causation" problem...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_diet

Some people believe it's the diet...but living on islands it could be genetic...or lifestyle...
The "famed" Okinawan diet is mostly during the time of WW2 (when they were first observed) till about the 80s. Then came the progressive "Westernization" of the Okinawans, and Japan, and the rest of Asia, and thus started the declined of the metabolic health of virtually all Asian countries.

South Korean soldiers during the Korean war era had their metabolic markers compared to their counterparts the US soldiers at the time. And the South Korean soldiers did better in every aspect. In addition, South Koreans civilians at the time also had quite a healthy metabolic panels compared to the American civilians. In the South korean countryside, where food (particualy animal sourced proteins), an average South Korean male farmer had a cholestrol reading of 120; today this would never happen.

China, same thing. China before their cultural revolution, was an agregrian society, meat was a luxury. Heart disease was unheard of. Today in China, with their embracement of Western fast food culture, 1 out of 5 kids in major cities is considered obese.

India, same thing. Rich city dwellers vs farmers. Similar observations to the rest of Asia. Eat a lot of processed food, fat, and animal protein, you die sooner.

The "Mediterranean diet". People from the Mediterranean region had (past tense) a healthy diet back in the 1950. They didn't consume olive oil like the Westernized version of the "Mediterannean" diet of today. Seems that any diet that comes in contact with the West, especially America, will go down the loo.

The Seventh Day Adventists study is probably the best study of comparing meat-eating population to a semi-meat-eating to a totally vegan population. Their vegans are doing better than their meat-eating cousins, and because the 2 groups share a lot of similarities due to religious practice, the only major variable to their health is their diet (which their religion does not mandate what to eat).

On "island life". Let's examine the Polynessians. They weren't always fat and diabetic like they are today. Once they came in contact with the West, it's now fast food culture. Many of these islanders are exactly your model of great metabolic health.

Unfortunately, in nutritional science, there isn't many high quality prospective studies due to the difficulty and time need to conduct prospective studies. But this doesn't mean we should say "correlation isn't causation" and discount observations either.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 08-30-20, 04:09 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
As cyclists we can do the HIIT training by doing intervals at 85% max heart rate alternated with easy pedaling. Do this for 10 minutes and we have accomplished the HIIT training.
Not that "rigid" and then do what ever type of riding our little heart desires. Easy peasy.
Really? I've done 8 hours rides with a 80-85% overall average based on my theoretical max Thought that was normal. My guide for long days riding is try to stay under 80%. Most of my rides for that matter are 80-85%. One long HIIT I guess.
​​​​
Old 08-30-20, 04:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by frogman
This discussion has me curious if I am getting up to 85% heart rate on my "tough" climbs that I think I am. Don't have a heart rate monitor, maybe I should get one..............
HR monitor isn't a necessity. I will use one occasionally but majority of the time I just go by feel....People were getting fit long before HR monitors were invented.
Old 08-30-20, 04:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I’m still trying to figure out “methylate your DNA”.
Those are just marketing buzz words used by lifestyle gurus to sell anti-aging programs and longevity workshops.
Old 08-30-20, 04:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by aclinjury
The longest living population, with the highest number of centenarians per capita, is the Okinawans.
The second longest living population is the Seventh Day Adventists.
These 2 groups of people aren't exactly known for their exercises. What they're known for is eating a lot of plants and relatively very little animal protein.
And in the case of the Okinawans, they don't need much medications to live long, meaning, they're not living longer due to drugs (but they do suffer from memory loss, I guess this is one of the consequences of living so long).

If you're into anti-aging, then diet plays a much more important role than any exercising routing ever will.
I am also 100% certain that none of these centenarians count calories, weigh themselves on a scale 3 times per day every day and use apps to tell them when to eat and what to eat.
Old 09-03-20, 09:46 AM
burritos

https://www.bicycling.com/health-nut...u-young-study/
A decline in walking ability has been linked to poor health in older adults, and research also shows that brisk walkers live longer.

It’s not clear exactly how cycling makes you a more efficient walker, but the researchers believe the answer may lie in your mitochondria—the energy producers in your cells. People who exercise vigorously have healthier mitochondria in their muscles, so therefore can generate energy more easily.

“The bottom line is that cycling keeps you younger, at least in terms of efficiency,” study co-author Daniel Aslan, a doctoral student at the University of Illinois Champaign, said in the release.

Earlier research found similar results among older adults who were runners. The team is planning future studies to examine whether other highly aerobic activities—such as swimming—may also mitigate age-related physical decline.
I suspect we all kind of know this.
Old 09-04-20, 06:57 AM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Most people who think they're doing HIIT are not doing HIIT. HIIT is not climbing a hill, it is max effort sprinting every 1-2 minutes until your legs are jelly. If you can sustain what you think is HIIT for more than 10-15 minutes, it ain't HIIT. Your HR will be maxed and you will be gassed, not really safe to do on a bike IMHO.
Old 09-04-20, 08:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by basscadet
Most people who think they're doing HIIT are not doing HIIT. HIIT is not climbing a hill, it is max effort sprinting every 1-2 minutes until your legs are jelly. If you can sustain what you think is HIIT for more than 10-15 minutes, it ain't HIIT. Your HR will be maxed and you will be gassed, not really safe to do on a bike IMHO.
No idea about comparative safety, depends on road/track conditions, but otherwise THIS.

And this is why I don't have any interest in doing it. Sounds like about as much fun as a surgical procedure, and my entire reason for preferring cycling to other forms of working out is because cycling is fun. If my primary concern was "efficiency", I'd be doing something other than cycling.

YMMV--if you find HIIT cycling fun or you don't hate it, I'm not going to argue with you. My whole argument in this thread has been that personal preferences are as important as any "science" because the scientifically perfect workout is perfectly useless if you can't make yourself do it.
Old 09-04-20, 08:55 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by basscadet
So when I'm climbing a hill with 10-15% grade at a snail's pace with sweat just pouring down like a faucet and HR is around 160-180(cause you can count it in your eardrums), this isn't high intensity? You're right, I'm not collapsing but when I first started biking, I did feel like vomiting when I would reach the top of the hill.
Old 09-04-20, 09:17 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
But if you want to methylate your DNA, optimize telomere length and improve your longevity proteome
I love it when you talk dirty.
Old 09-04-20, 09:18 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Empty the bowels pre & post workout too!
If you come close to getting hit by a car while riding, you might empty the bowels during the workout.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.