Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you bribe your kids to go biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you bribe your kids to go biking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-21, 08:46 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My 11 yo son is usually willing to go on a ride with me around town, but he tires out after 2 or 3 miles. My 9 yo daughter has decided that bicycling isn't something she's into, and while we did teach her how to ride (she could pedal and balance by herself for short distances) she's still very much a novice and has no desire to go on rides anywhere. I did get my wife a bike and while she likes the bike and wants to get into better shape, she has self-image issues and doesn't want people in town to see her riding. I think if I can get her over that she'll ride with me once in a while. I would love for all four of us to be able to ride together, but at least I think I'm making good memories for my son on our little trips around town. I would love for him to accompany me on 20-30 mile rides some day. I did get him to go up & down a rail trail on a 14 mile ride, and while I was very proud of him for going that distance he was worn out.
Old 01-06-21, 09:13 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I did get my wife a bike and while she likes the bike and wants to get into better shape, she has self-image issues and doesn't want people in town to see her riding.
Ha ha I have an aunt like that! She wouldn't go near a bike because she thinks bikes are only for the "proles". She just about died of embarrassment when I rode to her house and parked my bike on her porch.
Old 01-06-21, 09:47 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Ha ha I have an aunt like that! She wouldn't go near a bike because she thinks bikes are only for the "proles". She just about died of embarrassment when I rode to her house and parked my bike on her porch.
If only she knew how much some bikes cost these days, she wouldn't think that they're just for the proles.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 01-06-21, 11:24 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
He didn't ask for advice.

He asked if other people bribed their kids to get them to ride.
Thank you for your kindness.
Likes For burritos:
Old 01-06-21, 11:28 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
My son is now 30 but throughout the time from 5th grade to 12th he gave us grief on a galactic scale as he wanted to play video games full time. One thing we insisted that he do in school was play Sax in the band. When he complained and wanted to quit we told him ok but he had to replace music with something of equal value and video games were not equal value. Once in HS all of his friends were in the band so that stopped.

After HS he languished for a few years till we finally convinced him to go to a trade school. He did this but wasn't happy. After trade school he worked as a welder for about 5 years in a local job shop but still wasn't happy. Finally one day he decided to look for a new job and got one, he is working as a welder/fabricator at a large aerospace company, makes good money and is well treated by everyone where he works.

He still spends too much time on video games though. I was talking to him a few days ago and without asking he told me he was going to start riding his bike. We shall see. Overall he turned out great but was trying for many years.

Sometimes you have to bring down the hammer of Thor but you cannot overdo it. Pick your battles.

Last edited by Thomas15; 01-06-21 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 01-06-21, 12:03 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Years ago when my three sons were young I used to bribe them to ride by having them ride to the University dairy store for ice cream. They realized that cycling was fun and later a couple of them even raced some. All three of them now have 2 or more bikes, and are now riding with their sons. Somehow Grandpa just happened to by grandsons bikes too.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-08-21 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-06-21, 12:37 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I was just thinking. When I was a kid, in 6th grade, I brought home a bad report card. As a form of punishment my parents took my bike away from me. My bike and also I wasn't allowed to go fishing after school either.

Next report card a total turnaround. Very poor to very good in just a few weeks. As I studied and did my homework, all i could think about was riding my bike and trout fishing. Taking my kid's bikes away from them when they were in 6th grade would not have been an incentive. Different attitudes in one generation.
Old 01-06-21, 09:27 PM
stoogehand

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Kilo WT, Trek 2200 Carbon, Supergo Access Comp SL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My kids are all 5 or younger. Right now, bikes are magical to them. The oldest likes to pedal around, he can push his pedals about 3.5 miles, but he is nice and docile at afterward! The middle child still likes her balance bike, she hasn't quite mastered her pedaling technique yet. For longer rides, she is happy to ride in a trailer. And the youngest likes to scoot on his trike, or to ride in the bike trailer.

I just hope the magic doesn't wear off on them

Last edited by stoogehand; 01-06-21 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-06-21, 10:44 PM
redmandarin

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I've seen it work well when we invite friends their age along and make it into a little scavenger hunt with a prize at the end, but maybe that's bribing
Old 01-09-21, 03:17 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
I usually give him 10-20 bucks and tell him to go with his friend to where ever he wants and spend it on his friend too. There's a local starbucks, donut shop, and subway that they frequent. My hope is that they expand their search. That usually buys a couple of hours of sunlight and fresh air. Any other preferable non computer activity is a parental hating generating endeavor. Kids not listening to parents I suspect has been happening even before the advent of computers, but I can't be 100% sure.
Old 01-09-21, 04:22 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
My son is 45. Wasn't into bikes as a kid but he mtn bikes now.

Beating me up a hill is still to come but will happen eventually & his kids are coming on strong- even the 6 yr old.
Old 01-11-21, 03:08 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Eating or shopping are powerful incentives. We used to do weekend Gelato and bookstore runs which were a 20 mile round trip, and I've taken my then teenaged son on long rides solely on the promise of a good lunch. The cookies were definitely the reason we got him to do metric century rides. The kids also liked riding around to garage sales.
Nowadays it's only my wife who needs to justify a snack with a ride since our daughter has given up on bicycles due to some sort of teen rebellion