Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-21, 02:35 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by btppberk
Thanks as always for the awesome advice! Checked out the weather and it was a little too cold for the triangle and have been wanting to try to the desert, so did the counter clockwise loop. It was great! And it was definitely the right call to go counterclockwise. The Yacqui pass down into Borrego Springs was beautiful and lots of fun. The 78 could be lots of fun too, but, as you suggested, Friday's are not the day to do it. Tons of trailer campers heading out to the dessert (where? why?), and a few seem to forget either that they just passed a cyclist or that they are pulling a camper. On the plus side, there was very little traffic joining us up Montezuma. (I don't see how you can come down that without your breaks, or just lightly using them, headwind or not.

The only downside to today's ride was that it was really cold from Montezuma to S2 since we got a late start. Coming down S2 at dusk was also a mistake. Didn't have a strong enough light and the bike lane (amazing!) was littered with large rocks and other obstacles. I hit one that almost threw me. Another caused a flat 6 miles from home in the dark...

Thanks again for the tips! I really appreciate it.

I've got to figure out how to better time my meals for rides like this that start so far from home. This one was particularly tough since basically all the major work comes in the middle. I can't eat big meals before big climbs, so I was feeling pretty energy deficient on the climb. I'm thinking maybe I need to pack and eat a meal while driving out to the destination.

p.s. Banner Grade looks like a beautiful road, but looks narrow!
banner grade is a fun descent but has a few, deceivingly tight curves so you gotta be careful descending. ascending it, not even the motorcycles are going super fast and
if they are, it's a simple matter to hear them, pull over and let them pass. no shoulder on the way up or down but there are a few turnouts (mostly downhill) available.
lower, desert-interface uphill stretch is a bit of a bear...once the road reaches the shaded part of the ascent and turns into the mtns vs ribboning along the ridge, i always get a nice tailwind
taking me from 6-8 mph to 15-18mph (still) going uphill all the way to the nickel beer co just before the flat part and the high school. the store near the bottom...haven't seen it open in years
but there used to be a water spigot on the side of that building. dunno if it still works. been about 7 years since i last looked for it/used it. it's been a while since i did this ride...might be time again soon...

https://www.strava.com/activities/86555007

Last edited by diphthong; 02-28-21 at 02:43 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-28-21, 05:10 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Stayed in the Whittier Hills and the La Habra Heights circuit. Everything was gravy until the final descent on Turnbull Cyn when I had to quick stop from about 25 mph to avoid hitting a coyote. Funniest damn thing I came to a stop within a foot of his snout. He did not seem fearful. Looked me in the eyes and continued crossing the road.

Finished with 52 miles and 5700 feet of elevation gain and zero coyote kills.
.https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35288792
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-28-21, 06:10 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Wife & I escaped the howling Santa Anas by taking a nice ride around the PV peninsula. Start/finish at the parking lot above Hags. Up Paseo Del Mar/PVD West around & down PVD South then down (& back up) Anchovy to turnaround at the park at PDM/Western.
Beautiful day in the South Bay.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 02-28-21, 08:06 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
19 mi mtb ride in sycamore canyon in pt. I'm slow like a snail but managed to get a PR on Hell Hill. Helps when you're chasing someone faster than you:
https://www.venturacountytrails.org/...s.htm#HellHill
Likes For burritos:
Old 03-01-21, 09:21 AM
2seven0

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Stayed in the Whittier Hills and the La Habra Heights circuit. Everything was gravy until the final descent on Turnbull Cyn when I had to quick stop from about 25 mph to avoid hitting a coyote. Funniest damn thing I came to a stop within a foot of his snout. He did not seem fearful. Looked me in the eyes and continued crossing the road.

Finished with 52 miles and 5700 feet of elevation gain and zero coyote kills.
.https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35288792
Sounds like you need to order up some Acme Coyote Repellant (won't work on Roadrunners though).
Old 03-01-21, 09:37 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

^^^^^Critters abound in the hills. I have come across raccoons, cottontails, jackrabbits, squirrels, bobcats, mule deer, foxes, large rats as big as grey squirrels, possums, an Ocelot (escaped pet?), swooped by owls and Redtail Hawks, seen Golden Eagles up close eating roadkill. The coyotes are brazen and will follow you in La Habra Heights.
Old 03-02-21, 12:50 AM
N2motorsports

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Took the bro-in law out for his longest ride thus far. Started on pomerado/scrips ranch and made our way thru La Jolla and then some gravel thru rose canyon trail, approx 80% rideable and carrying the bike on other 20%. Then rode into bay ho to pick up the newbie. He made it up mt Soledad on his first attempt without stopping! He later struggled on n Torrey pines and Del Mar heights then 3 witches. This boy has a knack for suffering. Did I mention he is on a 7 speed 39/26!?!? The ride took us an extra 3 hours with stops and waiting but it was worth it and if you guys didn’t know, best food is a nice bowl of pho after a long ride.
Likes For N2motorsports:
Old 03-02-21, 06:16 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

a total of 30 miles split between two rides. one out near jamul and up jamul dr/skyline truck trail until the borderline too windy to ride out there
wind forecast made itself readily apparent as being on the wrong side of that borderline. tucked tail and descended back to the start which was
now windy as all get out. other ride just turned into a local lunch ride in the metro san diego area. tomorrow looks to be pretty swampy.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-04-21, 05:02 PM
CAT7RDR

Messed around in the Puente Hills again. No wildlife tried to take me out this time. Mid 60's, sunny and great views from PVP to Mt Baldy.
Hopefully, will be able to ride a couple gran fondos this year to have something to train for.

50 miles and 6300 ft of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35320074
Old 03-04-21, 05:10 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Messed around in the Puente Hills again. No wildlife tried to take me out this time. Mid 60's, sunny and great views from PVP to Mt Baldy.
Hopefully, will be able to ride a couple gran fondos this year to have something to train for.

Wow. That's a beastly ride. imo.
Old 03-04-21, 05:57 PM
CAT7RDR

^^^^^ The Puente-Chino Hills are underrated in my view. No really long climbs but dozens of 8+% grades that add up to being about the same as riding in the San Gabriels feet per mile.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-04-21, 06:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
^^^^^ The Puente-Chino Hills are underrated in my view. No really long climbs but dozens of 8+% grades that add up to being about the same as riding in the San Gabriels feet per mile.
Sounds like a good reason for me to stick to the San Gabriels. I start saying really bad words over 6%.
Old 03-05-21, 02:13 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts

Very interesting ride. I have never been to that area in any way, shape, or form. Is there a better time of year to go? Tomorrow is a high of 70. Only 90+ degree heat bothers me, more worried about wind and cold.

The Hollywood Hills and the Santa Monicas (depending on where you ride), can give you even more feet per mile.
Old 03-05-21, 02:29 PM
CAT7RDR

Winter and Spring weekend mornings are my favorite time of year. You get a coastal wind in the south side of the Puente Hills that drops the temp about 5 degrees. This area is not as affected by Santa Ana winds until you get out to the Chino Hills. La Habra Heights is more sheltered against winds. There are more challenging hills I did not ride yesterday in the area. Greenleaf, Everidge, Descending, Belle River, Vantage Pointe, Ardsheal, Seranata all have 10%+ sections.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-05-21, 02:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
Was out last night with the go-fast group ride at the Rose Bowl. Mercifully, the usual very hot pace was tempered by a few cars at key moments, and I was able to stay with the lead group for about 4-1/2 (of 7) laps. I managed to survive an early split, and find a couple of taller guys to hide behind when things got heated up. My demise came when a rider 3 wheels ahead of me got gapped out when the flock of young guns at the front hit the gas. I ended up with a group of 5 other guys who suffered my same fate, and we finished the rest of our laps together, (mostly) trading pulls and keeping the pace interesting. Overall it was a good workout. I'm really enjoying being back in the excitement of fast-paced group rides with experienced and skilled riders. It's one of my favorite parts about cycling. 26 miles, 1:10:00 (ish)
Old 03-05-21, 03:43 PM
2seven0

Drove out to Poverty Village again this morning. Basically did a counter-clockwise loop around the peninsula. A few small detours aside PVDr. West, South down to the end of Western for a pitstop. Then back up to PVDr. East. Very nice section of road! Almost like a mini-GMR to the crest of the hill. Ships in the LA Harbor area approaching D-Day volume. Then a left on PVDr. North back to the truck. Absolutely beautiful morning couldn't ask for better riding conditions.
West

Last edited by 2seven0; 03-06-21 at 06:43 PM.
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 03-05-21, 04:22 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Winter and Spring weekend mornings are my favorite time of year. You get a coastal wind in the south side of the Puente Hills that drops the temp about 5 degrees. This area is not as affected by Santa Ana winds until you get out to the Chino Hills. La Habra Heights is more sheltered against winds. There are more challenging hills I did not ride yesterday in the area. Greenleaf, Everidge, Descending, Belle River, Vantage Pointe, Ardsheal, Seranata all have 10%+ sections.
Thanks for the tips. Think I might just copy your ride tomorrow. I am so used to ride in the mountains where there are no services. Any water along the route? Do not need food. A public restrooms (I like public parks) where I can get changed? Most stalls I find in the suburbs are in good condition. Would never do it in LA. Like I said, I have never been to that area, no clue if it is urban or not!

Any links to rides with the big hills? I live for climbing. Looking at your routes now. The one you just did or https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35152038 for a newbie to the area?
Old 03-05-21, 04:48 PM
CAT7RDR

Thomas Burton Park, Countrywood Park and Pepperbrook Park are all right off of Colima Rd about a mile west of Azusa/Colima w/ restrooms and water. Parking is free. Schabarum Regional Park charges $ on the weekend only but you can park on the west side of the park on Azusa Ave. Colima Rd is a major artery and will give you access to the route I posted.

Fire Station #91 is on the Hacienda Heights side at the bottom of Turnbull Cyn Rd. A drinking fountain is out front and easy to spot. A homeowner on Turnbull Cyn Rd, the first home on the Hacienda Hgts side (on your right) of Skyline Dr also has a drinking fountain for cyclists to use.

Hacienda Heights, La Habra Heights and Whittier Hills was initially developed in the 1950's to 1980's. It is an upper middle to high class area. I never had any problems and most people are friendly towards cyclist. Be aware that Turnbull Cyn has some blind curves so you do need to hear what's coming. If you descend the Whittier side on Turnbull Cyn, you will encounter a lot of hikers and mountain bikers on the weekends crossing so shut it down at the last curve.

La Habra Heights has zero commercial zones so you will not find markets.

I try to avoid as much traffic as possible and I think you will find my route roadie friendly for the most part.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-05-21, 05:03 PM
CAT7RDR

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Thanks for the tips. Think I might just copy your ride tomorrow. I am so used to ride in the mountains where there are no services. Any water along the route? Do not need food. A public restrooms (I like public parks) where I can get changed? Most stalls I find in the suburbs are in good condition. Would never do it in LA. Like I said, I have never been to that area, no clue if it is urban or not!

Any links to rides with the big hills? I live for climbing. Looking at your routes now. The one you just did or https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35152038 for a newbie to the area?

This is a proposed ride I have not completed yet but I have tested all the climbs so I hope to give it a go this spring.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35282137
80 miles and 10K of climb just staying in the Puente-Chino Hills areas.
Old 03-05-21, 05:18 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Awesome. I need more daylight hours before tackling that last route. Don't want to be exploring new roads and the sunlight starts fading (or be rushed).
Old 03-06-21, 01:25 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

this is all right up Tycho Brahe's alley. it's a nice change from the sammos, peevee, san gabes and not too far away with a good amount of diversity. climbs are short(ish) and sweet.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-06-21 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-07-21, 10:19 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Friday: Headed out from Bolsa Chica area to the SART and then North to the Amtrak station in Anaheim. Although it was 42 mile round trip, up until then my max ride this years has been 30 miles. Also, the last 10 miles were into a 10mph headwind all the way home down the beach. I've never been so happy to get back and see my car. The good thing was that I was finally pushing myself and I got my HR up into Zone 4 for over an hour.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 03-07-21, 05:57 PM
Mazatleco17

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite, Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
28 miles started in Covina, rode part of the SGRT and back, nice cloudy day.
Likes For Mazatleco17:
Old 03-07-21, 06:56 PM
CAT7RDR

Did a foothill loop on a cool cloudy day that was a nice change of pace.
80 miles and 5500 feet of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35346984
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-07-21, 07:09 PM
CAT7RDR

Nice jump!

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Friday: Headed out from Bolsa Chica area to the SART and then North to the Amtrak station in Anaheim. Although it was 42 mile round trip, up until then my max ride this years has been 30 miles. Also, the last 10 miles were into a 10mph headwind all the way home down the beach. I've never been so happy to get back and see my car. The good thing was that I was finally pushing myself and I got my HR up into Zone 4 for over an hour.
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.