Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

This doesn't fold but.... Raleigh 20

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-22, 07:34 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts

Just picked it up today and a cold 2 mile ride tells me what it and I need from this bike. I'm really digging it! October 68 aw hubs.

After adjustment.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 12-20-22, 08:27 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 381 Times in 223 Posts
Looks like a fun winter project.
Old 12-20-22, 10:08 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Looks like a fun winter project.
Real stone age, just like me.
Old 12-20-22, 10:39 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Perfect place to show it off! Good luck with the rim hunt!
Old 12-22-22, 06:20 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Since that isn't the folding version, you don't really need the QR clamp at the headset, and you can replace the awful nylon bushing with the top cup of a threadless headset and use the existing nuts with spacers to preload then lock it down. Sheldon Brown has an extensive amount of information on the Twenty and its variants. If you want decent stopping power, alloy rims are the way to go if you want to stick with the original hubs. Looks like you may have 32h front and 36h rear, which is a lot easier to find in a 451 rim than the common 28h. Tire selection is a little slim but there are a few really good tires (Schwalbes) for that rim size. Then again, if you want to keep it all bone stock, a couple sets of Kool Stop continental pads filed a bit to match the angled profile of rim will do wonders, but those chrome rims handle stopping as a suggestion, not an imperative. All new cables, a lot of elbow grease and you have a nice bike there. You can also find some good Raleigh racks for the front and rear of your "Shopper" and have a cool errand/light cargo bike.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 12-23-22, 03:45 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by PhilFo
Since that isn't the folding version, you don't really need the QR clamp at the headset, and you can replace the awful nylon bushing with the top cup of a threadless headset and use the existing nuts with spacers to preload then lock it down. Sheldon Brown has an extensive amount of information on the Twenty and its variants. If you want decent stopping power, alloy rims are the way to go if you want to stick with the original hubs. Looks like you may have 32h front and 36h rear, which is a lot easier to find in a 451 rim than the common 28h. Tire selection is a little slim but there are a few really good tires (Schwalbes) for that rim size. Then again, if you want to keep it all bone stock, a couple sets of Kool Stop continental pads filed a bit to match the angled profile of rim will do wonders, but those chrome rims handle stopping as a suggestion, not an imperative. All new cables, a lot of elbow grease and you have a nice bike there. You can also find some good Raleigh racks for the front and rear of your "Shopper" and have a cool errand/light cargo bike.
I have ordered cr18 rims in 36 and 32 hole to lace to a 36 hole aw hub and a 32 hole dynamo hub. Long term I'd like the bike to be a grocery getter. Where can one get Raleigh specific racks? I was thinking about a wald quick release basket.
Old 12-23-22, 05:42 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Raleigh made a heavy gauge wire front rack for the Shopper in a couple versions, one that attached to the fork crown and upper headset race; and another that was fixed to the frame. In the case of the latter, the bike had threaded bosses welded to the frame where the rack would attach. As far as I know those would only be available used or possibly NOS somewhere. The rear rack was usually a Pletscher. You can get these new today, but you have to shorten the stays (or make new ones) as they are only made to fit larger wheel bicycles now.
Regarding your light, you may want to go with a modern unit and not the old filament bulb type. Busch & Muller makes the OneFive which was designed to work with lower voltage hubs (Shimano) and has the added benefit of working with the old Sturmey Dynohub. Get the fork spaced to 90mm between the dropouts because they are natively 84mm and getting that Dynohub wheel in and out will be a pain otherwise.
That is a cool bike you have there and a great winter project. Only a few months ago I started looking for a Raleigh Twenty for commuting, and now I own two (both folding.) I'd love to find a Shopper and turn it into a heavy duty cargo bike. Those frames can certainly take a heavier load. Have fun with it!
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 12-24-22, 11:52 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by PhilFo
Raleigh made a heavy gauge wire front rack for the Shopper in a couple versions, one that attached to the fork crown and upper headset race; and another that was fixed to the frame. In the case of the latter, the bike had threaded bosses welded to the frame where the rack would attach. As far as I know those would only be available used or possibly NOS somewhere. The rear rack was usually a Pletscher. You can get these new today, but you have to shorten the stays (or make new ones) as they are only made to fit larger wheel bicycles now.
Regarding your light, you may want to go with a modern unit and not the old filament bulb type. Busch & Muller makes the OneFive which was designed to work with lower voltage hubs (Shimano) and has the added benefit of working with the old Sturmey Dynohub. Get the fork spaced to 90mm between the dropouts because they are natively 84mm and getting that Dynohub wheel in and out will be a pain otherwise.
That is a cool bike you have there and a great winter project. Only a few months ago I started looking for a Raleigh Twenty for commuting, and now I own two (both folding.) I'd love to find a Shopper and turn it into a heavy duty cargo bike. Those frames can certainly take a heavier load. Have fun with it!
I'll be building with a modern dynamo hub. I have spaced the front to 102 and a modern hub isn't too difficult to get in or out. I tried one of the 1.5 watt Dyno hubs on another project and it lit my led lights beautifully. LEDs Rock! Also I have a deep quick release wald basket I may try on the bike just for fun.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 01-02-23, 09:30 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
This is cool. I have also seen a purple one and also white non-folding "Shopper" frames, never seen this light metallic blue.

You can change the B.B. fairly easily then run alloy cranks
...and change ALL the components if you are bored and want a lighter bike.
451 is the way to go with this for sure, my 2 cents.