Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

GT Edge TT Frame

Old 09-09-20, 04:21 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
GT Edge TT Frame

I picked this frame up as part of a parts lot purchased locally. It has a pretty interesting look to it. I think it's a GT Edge TT frame with what is likely not the original fork (it doesn't have much in the way of markings, though it does have a 4130 decal near the top). The back end of the top tube does have "GT" in it, so I'm 100% sure it's a GT something. I'm used to riding inexpensive steel and alloy bikes and this frame weighs nothing to my miscalibrated arms. It looks like the fork would take 28mm tires at the most, and frame is probably the same.

I'm no authority on bike finishes, but this appears to have an anodized finish to it. The photos make it look like a royal blue, but it has much more of a purple hue to it in person. The Cinelli stem is broken at the top (I have not tried to remove it yet). The fork blades appear to be straight. I have not tried anything in the bottom bracket yet.

Does this frame have any intrinsic value as a C/V TT frame? If no real value, then I may use it as wall art or for some other project.

Old 09-09-20, 05:25 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Gorgeous.

While not the most timeless or expensive C/V cycle the Edge truly does stand out.

Ride, ride, ride!
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 09-10-20, 06:04 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is a GT Edge Aero. They had their debut circa 1997. It is 6061 aluminum. The fork is definitely a replacement. The OEM forks were carbon fibre with a more aero profile blades. The frames were painted, not anodized, at least all the ones I've seen, have been. There was a also a GT Vengeance with the full aero treatment (i.e aero down tube and seat mast), though it was designed for 650C wheels.

I don't have any experience on an Edge Aero but do with a Vengeance. They are very stiff, very fast and very fatiguing for rides over an hour, unless the roads are very smooth. The Edge Aero should be slightly better due to the round seat tube and larger wheels but you'll probably notice that the ride is still much harsher than a steel frame with standard diameter, round tubes. Basically, it will be a faster. more responsive ride until the the point where the fatigue starts setting in and the speed drops as a result.

They definitely attract attention, especially when outfitted with a nice set of carbon fibre wheels. If you decide to sell, target the duathlon and triathlon people, where there will be more interest.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-10-20, 10:53 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The serial number on the NDS rear dropout is 02970146. From various places on the internet, I read that as a build date of February 1997, with a sequence number of 0146. There does not seem to be an alphanumeric on the frame (which seems to indicate manufacturer or plant). There is a 56 stamped in the bottom bracket, which I presume is the frame size. I haven't taken a tape measure to it, but that looks about right.

I don't know if this frame has ever had any decals on it. The rear seat stays are not EXACTLY aligned where they're welded on the seat tube, so I'm wondering if this was a defect frame or something perhaps warranty-replaced after it was put into service. I have not yet put a set of wheels in it to see if everything else looks aligned. I do need a frame to build a road/hybrid for my daughter, but this is probably not the right frame. It would barely fit her (almost too large), but the ride quality is very likely not what we're looking for, and I don't have any components in parts bins that would be to the level this frame would deserve (it looks like it would have been all Dura-Ace when new).

It looks like it's not an "OMG, gotta have it!" type of frame, but would be interesting to someone with the right build in mind. I may offer it to trade in the C&V frame pass-around/trade thread to see if anyone is interested in it for building up as a tri bike.
Old 09-10-20, 03:39 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 300 Posts
I see this frame and I can’t stop thinking Profile H2O stem...
Old 01-07-23, 02:11 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
My GT...aero edge

My freshly painted bike.

My project bike. Silly fast smooth (28mm) tires.. New paint waiting on some parts. Craiglist find. $200. Plus paint and time.