Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2018 racing stories

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 11:18 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cherry Pie Crit ... 35+ 123, DNF

Post crash showers hurt more than crashing. Fun technical course. I think 10 turns with a 180 and a roundabout. Field was small (25??) but many strong riders in there.

By the end of lap 4 I think we were down to 17 riders. Break of 3 got up the road around minute 20 and the pace slowed enough where I could recover. Plan was to jump out of the roundabout for a bridge attempt. Carried too much speed through it and lost the front wheel. Stupid mistake.

Regained my wits, but the rear hanger was nearly in the spokes. Game over.

Road rash isn’t too terrible though.
Old 02-20-18, 12:14 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
@hack that sucks! I hate that course, and especially that roundabout..

Glad it's just road rash, and hopefully just a der. hanger that's busted.

I would have been there, but had to work. And was tired from VoS.

my race videos
Old 02-20-18, 08:48 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
@hack that sucks! I hate that course, and especially that roundabout..

Glad it's just road rash, and hopefully just a der. hanger that's busted.

I would have been there, but had to work. And was tired from VoS.
Skinsuit died ... that was the biggest heart breaker.
Old 02-20-18, 09:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
Bummer @hack
Old 02-21-18, 11:14 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by hack
Ugh, that really sucks! Hate when that happens.

my race videos
Old 02-22-18, 12:26 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
On the subsets of groups within our team structure that race more towards the faster categories we make some allowances in the sponsorship budgets to help offset clothing replacement for just this reason.

I remember long ago during Super Week one year how Recursive was making a list of all of the gear he went through that week. Expensive week but then again he was the guy that hit the guy who stood up in this video....(he's in the blue jersey)

Trigger warning....

Old 02-22-18, 12:29 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Just braved the USA Cycling electronic structure to file permits for my 3 crits this season. 3/5 of the Illinois Cup this year if accepted. No on to apply for a State Championship an permit one of the cross races.

Oh - and I ran (un-opposed) for Illinois Cycling Association president. Yay. So that's my "accomplishment" for this year.

Headed to Detroit this weekend to visit the new velodrome and hopefully race.

Old 02-22-18, 07:52 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Headed to Detroit this weekend to visit the new velodrome and hopefully race.
I need to try and get up there soon. Never been on a track before..but it looks like a lot of fun
Old 02-22-18, 10:40 PM
mattm
**** that

On the subsets of groups within our team structure that race more towards the faster categories we make some allowances in the sponsorship budgets to help offset clothing replacement for just this reason.

I remember long ago during Super Week one year how Recursive was making a list of all of the gear he went through that week. Expensive week but then again he was the guy that hit the guy who stood up in this video....(he's in the blue jersey)

Trigger warning....

https://youtu.be/jfs55TB9srg
quite the spectacle.

also, is it just me or were cat 3’s older back then?

like how high school year books from the 80’s have dudes with full mustaches in them.
Old 02-22-18, 11:05 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

like how high school year books from the 80’s have dudes with full mustaches in them.
"I get older, they stay the same age."
Old 02-23-18, 06:40 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
alright alright alright
Old 02-24-18, 11:00 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Its been quite a while since I've crashed. Still having bad luck with the road races it seems. And the 1/2 field seems to have forgotten how to ride bikes.

Snelling. 7 laps at 12 or so miles each. 8mph winds and a few dinky rollers and many turns.

We start with the legendary neutral rollout. Legendary cuz its like 3 miles of bunching up and braking swerving vs climbing a roller at 450w. The moto doesn't seem to understand how pedal bikes work lol. Anyway, dude says something about being stuck at the back and I tell him that's where ill be staying for the first half.

Lap 1. 30 mph for much of it. Yeah, I'll chill near the back for a while. Corners... No one remembers how. Brakes. Weird lines. We hit the legendary bumpy bridge. Teeth rattle, bottles fly, riders randomly swerve into each other and crash. I narrowly dodge a downed rider and think I'm in the clear when I'm suddenly heading straight for another guy on the pavement. I leap off over his bike and let my bike hit him. Grab my bike, hop on, get the chain back on and sprint. Look back, other dude is coming and he is strong so I ease up and we go together.

For several miles we (he mostly) chase with the pack in sight 30-45 seconds up the road. We fade, catch a couple other riders off the back. Pack rides off into the midday sun, and I catch a bee in my hand as I try to drink. I smash it on my leg.

I ride around with a few guys for a couple more laps and call it quits after 50 miles. I figure I got 180 TSS in 2 hours, may as well save some for a ride tomorrow. And avoid another lap of the the legendary Snelling bees.
Old 02-25-18, 09:01 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reset the counter! Nice job not getting hurt. I bet you landed on your hair.

I have a head cold but figured since the team was going out to race I should support them and do Snelling as well. Mostly a friend offered to pick me up at my house at 5AM and that's such a huge favor to turn down...

Anyway, the race in 35+ 123 featured, I dunno, 10 national champions? I carpooled with 2 of them. Lots of guys, 60+ in the field. Our race was 5 laps of the 12-mile course on bumpy-ass farm roads, sandy corners and a dilapidated bridge that populates the hospitals.

We had only one crash in the neutral rollout, which was no-consequence and hilarious. I was shouting at guys about how it happens every year and was like "here it comes!" then 2 seconds later screeeech...

My race started at 08:10 when it was 32f. Freezing cold, but not tooooo tooo bad except that my zip-bootie came unzipped and was threatening to go into my chainring. ****ing with that until I got it tucked away with numb fingers got me filtered all the way to the back (as usual) counter to my plan of really doing it this year and staying up front and being aggressive.

Thankfully my team is good and found their way into the first couple break attempts. I finally got to the front just in time to go with the first real break of the day, from the start of lap 2 to about halfway through lap 3 we had 6 guys (all the right teams) and I was working my ass off, stupidly not realizing that Peets didn't like their guy in the break and was chasing us down.

At the catch the usual flurry of counters goes and I was determined to stay forward and be in whatever goddamn move stuck this year. Finally about the end of lap 3 a good attack goes and I do a 30-second bridge effort to just barely get the back of the 6 dudes. I pulled one across, so we had 8. 4 of us had been in the first move, but we had the right teams and we had 2 Touchstone riders and 2 Peets riders and I felt safe this one was staying clear.

Here's the new me, though, this year. I said "I'm tired, I'm not working." and sat on the back of this break, tenaciously refusing to pull through and weathering dirty looks for the next 80 minutes. lol - I literally did not see the front except for one moment where the weaker Peets dudes were struggling at the back and there was a slight gap in the downwind. I shot through and pushed it for a second to shed them, but no one else was feeling that so I went back to resting on the back.

Anyway, about 3 miles from the finish the final climby bits are passing and the 8 are getting antsy. I'm mentally preparing for about 5th, knowing I can beat a couple of these dudes, but even fresh I'm not going to win a protracted uphill sprint. That's when the marked Strongman makes his surge, thankfully I'd been moving forward on the hill so I could slide backwards because when Strongman goes, Peets rider and Touchstone rider get tangled, crashing, taking out 1 peets, both touchstone riders, and the ThirstyBear rep from the break. Even on the far left I barely avoid the crash, leaving the road into some soft sand. Thankfully my anal pucker popped the bike back onto the road and in the 30s 100% sprint I had left got me in contact with the front 2 who had been unaffected by the crash. It also shelled the remaining Peets rider.

On the run-in to the finish, now just 3 of us, I weathered a few more harry eyeballs and refused to pull. I was bundling all my courage and effort for one heroic, do-them-dirty-like-that sprint. Then we turned the corner, 200m from the line and there was a crash ahead of us from a different field. By the time we got through that mess we were 50m from the line and I got my ass handed to me in the sprint, as usual.

But hey, I rode super aggressive until in the break, was in the right place when misfortune struck and took my 3rd place gladly. Not exactly how I wanted to get a podium, but that's racing.

After the race I talked to the guys in the break and there were some gripes about how I rode. I explained to them that I've been in 30-40-50 breaks the past few years where I busted my ass and then got left at the sprint to collect my 4th-5th-6th place, and I wasn't going to work in a break of 8 guys to get 8th place when I have teammates behind. They deserve better than that finish. Work as hard as you like, nobody says "thanks for the effort" and pushes you across the line.

People seemed soothed by my willingness to actually talk about it, and I have a ton of equity built up with all these dudes. I'll bury myself in a break of 3, but 8 was just too big, especially with 2 teams with 2 guys.
Old 02-25-18, 11:13 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Here's the new me, though, this year. I said "I'm tired, I'm not working." and sat on the back of this break, tenaciously refusing to pull through and weathering dirty looks for the next 80 minutes. lol - I literally did not see the front except for one moment where the weaker Peets dudes were struggling at the back and there was a slight gap in the downwind. I shot through and pushed it for a second to shed them, but no one else was feeling that so I went back to resting on the back.
Nicely done! Way to stick to your guns and ride your race. It had to be hard in that group.
Old 02-25-18, 04:27 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Great reports! Enjoy reading through this thread. Six more very long weeks until my first race. Ughhhh.
Old 02-25-18, 05:23 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
+1 nice reports fellas, and good racing!
Old 02-25-18, 11:34 PM
mattm
**** that

I have a head cold but figured since the team was going out to race I should support them and do Snelling as well. Mostly a friend offered to pick me up at my house at 5AM and that's such a huge favor to turn down...

Anyway, the race in 35+ 123 featured, I dunno, 10 national champions? I carpooled with 2 of them. Lots of guys, 60+ in the field. Our race was 5 laps of the 12-mile course on bumpy-ass farm roads, sandy corners and a dilapidated bridge that populates the hospitals.

We had only one crash in the neutral rollout, which was no-consequence and hilarious. I was shouting at guys about how it happens every year and was like "here it comes!" then 2 seconds later screeeech...

My race started at 08:10 when it was 32f. Freezing cold, but not tooooo tooo bad except that my zip-bootie came unzipped and was threatening to go into my chainring. ****ing with that until I got it tucked away with numb fingers got me filtered all the way to the back (as usual) counter to my plan of really doing it this year and staying up front and being aggressive.

Thankfully my team is good and found their way into the first couple break attempts. I finally got to the front just in time to go with the first real break of the day, from the start of lap 2 to about halfway through lap 3 we had 6 guys (all the right teams) and I was working my ass off, stupidly not realizing that Peets didn't like their guy in the break and was chasing us down.

At the catch the usual flurry of counters goes and I was determined to stay forward and be in whatever goddamn move stuck this year. Finally about the end of lap 3 a good attack goes and I do a 30-second bridge effort to just barely get the back of the 6 dudes. I pulled one across, so we had 8. 4 of us had been in the first move, but we had the right teams and we had 2 Touchstone riders and 2 Peets riders and I felt safe this one was staying clear.

Anyway, about 3 miles from the finish the final climby bits are passing and the 8 are getting antsy. I'm mentally preparing for about 5th, knowing I can beat a couple of these dudes, but even fresh I'm not going to win a protracted uphill sprint. That's when the marked Strongman makes his surge, thankfully I'd been moving forward on the hill so I could slide backwards because when Strongman goes, Peets rider and Touchstone rider get tangled, crashing, taking out 1 peets, both touchstone riders, and the ThirstyBear rep from the break. Even on the far left I barely avoid the crash, leaving the road into some soft sand. Thankfully my anal pucker popped the bike back onto the road and in the 30s 100% sprint I had left got me in contact with the front 2 who had been unaffected by the crash. It also shelled the remaining Peets rider.

On the run-in to the finish, now just 3 of us, I weathered a few more harry eyeballs and refused to pull. I was bundling all my courage and effort for one heroic, do-them-dirty-like-that sprint. Then we turned the corner, 200m from the line and there was a crash ahead of us from a different field. By the time we got through that mess we were 50m from the line and I got my ass handed to me in the sprint, as usual.

But hey, I rode super aggressive until in the break, was in the right place when misfortune struck and took my 3rd place gladly. Not exactly how I wanted to get a podium, but that's racing.

After the race I talked to the guys in the break and there were some gripes about how I rode. I explained to them that I've been in 30-40-50 breaks the past few years where I busted my ass and then got left at the sprint to collect my 4th-5th-6th place, and I wasn't going to work in a break of 8 guys to get 8th place when I have teammates behind. They deserve better than that finish. Work as hard as you like, nobody says "thanks for the effort" and pushes you across the line.

People seemed soothed by my willingness to actually talk about it, and I have a ton of equity built up with all these dudes. I'll bury myself in a break of 3, but 8 was just too big, especially with 2 teams with 2 guys.
This is great!

I think that's the exact right strategy given the makeup of the break you were in. Otherwise they would just use & abuse you (and not even say "thanks" lol)

my race videos
Old 02-26-18, 01:23 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I liked reading that. Smart riding.
Old 02-26-18, 11:03 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

We hit the new Lexus Velodrome in Detroit. Good time. Interesting track. Not as difficult to ride as many imply. My son was the only one to pile in and it was indeed because he was going too slow on the corners. "I feel like I was an eraser and the track was a piece of paper".

We stayed and watched racing that night. watching a 6 team 100 lap madison was fun. There were a lot of spectators. I hope they keep the momentum up.

Old 02-26-18, 03:53 PM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is some great insight and something I will definitely take into my racing season this year.
Old 02-26-18, 04:16 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
We hit the new Lexus Velodrome in Detroit. Good time. Interesting track. Not as difficult to ride as many imply. My son was the only one to pile in and it was indeed because he was going too slow on the corners. "I feel like I was an eraser and the track was a piece of paper".

We stayed and watched racing that night. watching a 6 team 100 lap madison was fun. There were a lot of spectators. I hope they keep the momentum up.
Googled it, that place looks really nice. Is the exterior / roof a fabric?
Old 02-27-18, 12:39 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ShutUpLegs
This is some great insight and something I will definitely take into my racing season this year.
glad to hear. I definitely sacrificed some results for being more-liked.

I'm not sure it's the wrong trade-off either way, but it was fun to play a different card/character for a day.
Old 02-27-18, 01:59 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShutUpLegs
you also have to be pretty freaking strong to be in that position -- and strong just to hang onto a break with that power!
Old 02-27-18, 02:01 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Googled it, that place looks really nice. Is the exterior / roof a fabric?
It's an inflatable dome.

Old 03-01-18, 10:09 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
you also have to be pretty freaking strong to be in that position -- and strong just to hang onto a break with that power!
Word.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.