Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Pinarello Montello

Old 12-30-21, 04:37 PM
Skylinechili

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pinarello Montello

Hello, new to this forum and hoping to learn more about a bicycle that belonged to my father. I remember him having it built back in the 80's when I was very young. He probably road it 3 times then gave up on the hobby and put it in storage. It's been there since the late 80's until recently. I know very little about these bikes and was hoping to learn more about what I have and approximate value before I sell it. It appears to be a complete bike minus the wheels. The finish is chrome I believe but is also black, almost like a tinted chrome. I've taken a few photos of what I thought to be the important components but have not been successful posting them on this site. I very much appreciate any help given. Thank you!
Old 12-30-21, 06:14 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 441 Posts
Image Aid

Originally Posted by Skylinechili
...I've taken a few photos of what I thought to be the important components but have not been successful posting them on this site. I very much appreciate any help given. Thank you!

OP's Album
Old 12-30-21, 06:34 PM
Skylinechili

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for posting my photos!
Likes For Skylinechili:
Old 12-30-21, 06:53 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
I own a Montello from '86. I've ridden a lot of bikes, and the Montello is right up there with the very best. A great bike for long rides; not a touring bike, this was probably designed for classics and stage races.

I also volunteer at a big-city bike Co-op, so I've seen and worked on hundreds of steel-framed bikes. The Montello is the best workmanship I've ever seen on a lugged steel bike.

Value: this should return you about as much as is possible for a vintage steel bike, except for rare historical bikes, such as those raced by Coppi or Merckx. Condition looks good, and the size is in the desirable range.

Components: always photograph the bike from the drive side, and take separate pics highlighting the major components. The gruppo looks to be early C-Record. The crankset is worth a fair amount of money. The Delta brakes have a lot of resale value if they are Record, and much less if CdA. However, the brakes, are a major pain to set up, are heavy, and they don't brake that well. The Campagnolo Synchro (1) shifters had the nickname Stinkro for good reason: the indexing on these was hopeless. Nevertheless, some collectors like this stuff. Me personally, I kept the frame, the wheels and the crankset, and replaced everything else with Ergopower gear from the mid-90's. Been riding it since.

Summary: you have something high value here, both to riders and collectors. Take lots of high quality photos, and advertise widely, including Ebay.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 12-30-21, 09:26 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I have one in red with slightly different parts and have had offers in the $1k range.
Old 12-30-21, 10:05 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
Something’s making me think this Pinarello is newer than you describe. For one, the internal rear brake cable.
Old 12-30-21, 10:10 PM
Skylinechili

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I own a Montello from '86. I've ridden a lot of bikes, and the Montello is right up there with the very best. A great bike for long rides; not a touring bike, this was probably designed for classics and stage races.

I also volunteer at a big-city bike Co-op, so I've seen and worked on hundreds of steel-framed bikes. The Montello is the best workmanship I've ever seen on a lugged steel bike.

Value: this should return you about as much as is possible for a vintage steel bike, except for rare historical bikes, such as those raced by Coppi or Merckx. Condition looks good, and the size is in the desirable range.

Components: always photograph the bike from the drive side, and take separate pics highlighting the major components. The gruppo looks to be early C-Record. The crankset is worth a fair amount of money. The Delta brakes have a lot of resale value if they are Record, and much less if CdA. However, the brakes, are a major pain to set up, are heavy, and they don't brake that well. The Campagnolo Synchro (1) shifters had the nickname Stinkro for good reason: the indexing on these was hopeless. Nevertheless, some collectors like this stuff. Me personally, I kept the frame, the wheels and the crankset, and replaced everything else with Ergopower gear from the mid-90's. Been riding it since.

Summary: you have something high value here, both to riders and collectors. Take lots of high quality photos, and advertise widely, including Ebay.
Thanks for the information Dave. Much appreciated.
Old 12-30-21, 10:16 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
BTW for a Pinarello the paint and decals are in remarkable condition. For its age, wouldn’t expect to read Pinarello by now. Possible repaint?
Old 12-30-21, 10:17 PM
Skylinechili

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Something’s making me think this Pinarello is newer than you describe. For one, the internal rear brake cable.
I don't know anything about the internal rear brakes on these bikes and I'm not sure the exact year it was built but it was no later than 1988.

Why would paint or decals deteriorate just hanging in a storage room for 30+ years?

Last edited by Skylinechili; 12-30-21 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-30-21, 10:32 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I agree with the earlier post that stated "you have something high value here." The Delta brakes alone are worth more than a lot of fairly valuable bikes. Late '80's, assuming original components, seems accurate.
Old 12-31-21, 03:01 AM
BMC_Kid 

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 146 Posts
I don't know anything about the internal rear brakes on these bikes and I'm not sure the exact year it was built but it was no later than 1988.

Why would paint or decals deteriorate just hanging in a storage room for 30+ years?
If it has just been hanging around for 30 years, the paint should be in great cosmetic condition same as the decals because I have to assume that it was stored the whole time and never ridden. However, the paint on this bike is called cromovelato and is a semi-transparent colored lacquer over chrome finish. After many years, depending on where it was stored the adhesive ability of the paint to remain adhered to the chrome weakens and the paint begins to flake off. Obviously, the better the environmental conditions the frame is subjected to, the better and longer it will last. But eventually, if this bike gets ridden regularly, the paint will begin to fail, first will be the most delicate areas, I.e. the main Pinarello decals. This is why the comment was made, speculating the frame had been repainted. I highly doubt that, as a cromovelato paint job cannot be attempted by just any good painter and be expected to be last. It takes a skilled painter to get it right, and that will cost you almost what the frame is worth and from your description, it doesn’t sound like that has been the case.

Now here is the problem, the more this bike is exposed to the rigors of riding, the more that the chance is taken that the paint will eventually fail, in that pieces will begin to flake off. Once that process starts, it will spread like wildfire. I have this same bike. Yours, like mine, is finished in the Cromoner finish. Mine is a 1989 and is/has been stored in my climate-controlled garage, and it is in near-perfect condition. In fact, mine has the matching cromovelato painted and panto’d seat post and stem, both in pristine condition. It doesn’t get ridden because of the reasons listed above. I am thinking about having the whole bike clear coated but haven’t yet spent the time to determine if that would be of benefit. Once I do that, I’ll rebuild it with 11 speed silver Campy, probably Athena but I am currently working on two other retro-mod builds, so it is on the back burner or I might just decide to let someone else decide what to do with it as I have too many other bikes I need to put miles on or get rid of as well.

Here is a photo of mine - unfortunately I don’t have access to my good photos, first bike on the right.I had the head badge refinished and haven’t reinstalled it. It originally was a decal that was a bit chewed up.

And here is a good example on the web

https://the-hunt.de/pinarello-montel...ero-from-1989/

Without color...

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 02-21-22 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-31-21, 08:42 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Very nice!

I'd gently clean it up and ride it on special days

​​​it's the cycling equivalent of finding Dad's old Tag Heuer watch , stuffed in a drawer and forgotten about for 30 years

Value? Probably $1500 if you still have the wheels. Compared to the cost of an equivalent new bike, (probably cost $8000 to get this level of bike new) old bikes are a bargain, but the pristine condition of yours makes it sweeter
Old 12-31-21, 10:51 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I have one in red with slightly different parts and have had offers in the $1k range.
Yes, the full bike price vs parting out does not favor selling whole unfortunately.
Old 12-31-21, 10:53 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
BTW for a Pinarello the paint and decals are in remarkable condition. For its age, wouldn’t expect to read Pinarello by now. Possible repaint?
The paint is unusual, was hard to tell, but seems to be a tinted finish. The lug lining is definitely non standard.
Old 12-31-21, 11:05 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Super find and one of the best classic road bikes.
I never had a cromovelato and love chrome so would not mind the missing paint if it were not for the decals.
I would think the wheels are also somewhere in that storage, would be nice to have the complete machine!
Old 12-31-21, 11:52 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by joesch
Super find and one of the best classic road bikes.
I never had a cromovelato and love chrome so would not mind the missing paint if it were not for the decals.
I would think the wheels are also somewhere in that storage, would be nice to have the complete machine!
there was a BF participant, gone? Now?
Rad55 or something like that who stripped a Pinarello to all chrome- it looked pretty good
did something unusual with the branding graphics, mask and blast?
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-31-21, 12:47 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
Addendum: my '86 Montello has internal cable routing for the rear brake. Pinarellos of this era had notoriously bad decals; they will flake off into dust if you even look at them. I just carefully removed them and now I have a stealth Pinarello with a mix of utilitarian Campagnolo components. But again, my motivation is to just ride the thing.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 12-31-21, 03:06 PM
BMC_Kid 

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
The paint is unusual, was hard to tell, but seems to be a tinted finish. The lug lining is definitely non standard.
The lug pinstriping was standard for this finish.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 12-31-21, 03:16 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
The lug pinstriping was standard for this finish.
Kind of British or French in Style.
Old 01-04-22, 11:32 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
If he rode it just 3 times from new, it might mean the special "Chromavelato" paint finish and the decals could very well be original, and the bike would be higher value than most other Montellos out there with the typical flaking off Chromavelato paint and decal work.
If you are not planning to ride/own it and would want to retain top value for resale, be gentle with handling the bike to preserve the great finish and graphics. Do not leave it exposed to too much UV light and heat like in a hot attic.
Especially watch out for that loose chain so it does not scrape against the frame or any other parts on the bike.
There Delta brakes and what might be a C-Record drivetrain is major icing on the cake.
Your dad had impeccable taste and that's definitely a Pinarello grail bike he built as all the boxes were ticked!

Last edited by Chombi1; 01-04-22 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-22-22, 03:48 AM
steelisreal19

Bikes: 2002 Tommasini TecnoTig, 1997 Mondonico ELOS, 1990 Gotti SLX, 1994 Eddy Merckx Corsa, 1994 Pinarello Veneto, 1998 Bianchi Eros,1985 Trek 470

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Hello, new to this forum and hoping to learn more about a bicycle that belonged to my father. I remember him having it built back in the 80's when I was very young. He probably road it 3 times then gave up on the hobby and put it in storage. It's been there since the late 80's until recently. I know very little about these bikes and was hoping to learn more about what I have and approximate value before I sell it. It appears to be a complete bike minus the wheels. The finish is chrome I believe but is also black, almost like a tinted chrome. I've taken a few photos of what I thought to be the important components but have not been successful posting them on this site. I very much appreciate any help given. Thank you!
congratulations on a great find! I sent you a private message with my email address in case you’re interested to sell it, please let me know!
Old 01-27-22, 09:11 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Demonstrated paint deterioration and decal flaking on my 1989ish Montello
P1010723 on Flickr

The decals that fell off left a ghost
P1010724 on Flickr

In addition, there appears to be a pearlescent topcoat that is flaking off. I have no idea what to do. I really don't want to repaint and I don't want to have it look this bad! The paint condition does not reflect the value of the ride!
P1030582 on Flickr
Old 01-28-22, 02:22 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
I like neither C-Record nor Pinarello but complete C-Record (looks like only the hubs and pedals are missing) in good shape like that is worth 1K easily and an SLX tubed bike by a reputable brand would not be without value either.

I'd estimate end-user value at $1500 at the very least but of course a flipper is not going to offer you anything near that.
Old 01-28-22, 02:07 PM
Skylinechili

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update, I did receive an offer of 1200 Euro for the frame. Based off other's who have commented, I should take that offer and sell the other components on Ebay? Thanks
Likes For Skylinechili:
Old 01-28-22, 04:27 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
Are you absolutely sure that's for the frame only?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.