Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Mariner handle post extension

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-22, 09:29 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts

First of all, I may be calling it by the wrong name.
The steering 'stem' or post, the part the handlebars are connected to.

On many Dahon models, it's 2 pieces that telescope for height adjustment.

Are there any extended versions of this part?

I have part that is around 12" (300mm) total length and I need an additional 4" (100mm) length

Difficulty: This is a model with a "d" tube which a bump on the outer tube aligns with a channel on the inner or smaller tube to have a general alignment.

My options are to find a proper fitting telescoping stem that's longer or grind down the bump and buy a 28.6mm regular tube and make my own.

Thanks!

Edit:
It may also be called an "upper section"

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 12-31-22 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-01-23, 01:01 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
You have it all correct. Your options are to either get a handlepost that fits you better, or, find an extension piece that's long enough for your existing handlepost to fit you better.

Some people do make the extension piece, which then offers an advantage of using standard threadless bicycle stems for further improvements. Maybe someone with experience on this will chime in.

If you'd rather buy something, I would choose a handlepost that doesn't have any mechanisms at all (other than the fold at the bottom). This single-piece handlepost will be a lot stiffer than the adjustable handlepost and thus a better ride. They come in many different heights, including the 400mm that you're looking for. The one factor that may limit your choices is if your bicycle requires a handlepost with a quill. Most of the alternatives are for the threadless system but there are some quill options out there.

An easy source for alternative handlposts has been Ebay. Aliexpress or ParcelUp .com might offer the best selection now.
Likes For Nyah: