Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One bike

Old 05-04-21, 12:22 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz

And you’ll look like a pensioner pretending to be a teenager- but I always thought the coolest thing about old people is not giving a **** what anybody thinks about them anymore.

Like me on my SE Big Flyer wearing checkerboard Vans slip ons (at 49 years of age )
Old 05-04-21, 12:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Any one of a dozen or so options out there that have rear rack mounts, clear 38s, and have reasonable geo is all I would ever need for paved/gravel use.

My Fog Cutter is all I need for everything I do on pavement and gravel. I might replace it someday with something nicer, but it would just be a nicer version of the same thing or similar. I would love a Warbird.

With a set of 38mm Barlow Pass tires I have zero need a second wheel-set.

Now, trying to narrow my off-road bikes to one would really be a challenge.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-04-21 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-04-21, 12:40 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
I don't know why people don't buy the one bike and two different sets of wheels? One set with road tires, and the other set with gravel. And simply change them out depending on the riding they are doing that day. I guess the key would be making sure the frame has the clearance for both.
Both times I tried that, the second wheelset grew into a second bike.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-04-21, 12:49 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Haven't gone through the entire thread but I would get a gravel bike (has a more comfortable position than a racing bike) and have another set of nice carbon wheels with 30mm 'slicks.' A good gravel bike can actually double as an endurance bike given slick tires.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 05-07-21, 05:07 PM
jponio

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Trek Domane SL5 that I use for road and gravel. Just swap out tires or wheel sets and you're good to go. Disk brakes, endurance geometry, carbon, all the goods.
Old 05-07-21, 06:00 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I had an aluminum top stone 105 gravel bike that had two wheel sets. Recently sold it and purchased a gravel bike carbon Giant Revolt Advance 2. I swap out my wheel sets all the time.

My GF has a gravel bike and does not have two wheel sets. For the most part we tend to ride what ever is on her bike at the time. I hate changing tires. Looking forward to the day when we go out of town on vacation and she has two wheel sets also.
Old 05-07-21, 10:11 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
This is a bit off topic but I sometimes wonder why I have a racing bike and a gravel/endurance bike. I mean, I'm 52 and never going to race. My gravel bike weighs around 19 lbs w/carbon wheels and carbon handlebars. My racing bike weighs in at around 16.5 lbs. Maybe I should sell the racing bike...
Old 05-08-21, 08:23 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
Haven't gone through the entire thread but I would get a gravel bike (has a more comfortable position than a racing bike) and have another set of nice carbon wheels with 30mm 'slicks.' A good gravel bike can actually double as an endurance bike given slick tires.

Just my two cents worth.
Well you could use a tire like the Vittoria Terreno Mix all rounder version (they make 4 different versions of this tire, so check out the other versions to see if there is one that would fit your needs better), while it is a bit hefty it does have a great anti puncture belt system, but the great thing about this tire is that it performs on pavement really well with the smooth center tread area and has raised chevrons (not sure how to explain that) on the corners of the tire for gripping in gravel. It also has Graphene in the tread for longer tread life. This tire won't excel on the road or gravel because it's trying to do both jobs which it does, but there will be compromises made for road and gravel that a dedicated tire for road or a dedicated tire for gravel won't compromise, but if you're not racing on either of those surfaces than this tire is fine; look, if I can ride gravel with smooth 23c road tires, howbeit slow and easy, then this Vittoria would do the job better and you can ride gravel without any issues.

There are a lot of tires coming out that are combination surface tires like the Vittoria, some are already out like the Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready, or the Kenda Flintridge Pro. These types of tires are being made for the non racer that doesn't want to be bothered with changing tires all the time to suit a particular surface. So just do some research on the tires that I mentioned and find one that fits your needs the best. Like I said more of these types of tires will be coming out because tire companies know that most of the people riding gravel bikes are not racing or riding aggressively, so these tires fit those who want to do both paved and gravel conditions. Me personally, I own a touring gravel bike, yet because my bike handling skills are pretty good, I see no need to go with a combination road gravel tire, if I can ride gravel with 23c tires then I will have no problem riding gravel roads with 32c to 38c tires intended for road use only, so I'm looking into a getting a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, not a gravel tire but I know I could ride them on gravel.