Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What about grease? Got any top picks?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What about grease? Got any top picks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 01:18 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
What do you use for your through axles? After about 9 months of taking my wheels on & off so much that thin white paste grease is almost gone.
Old 01-14-21, 08:29 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view, aside from the grease itself, the little Dualco grease gun is a handy tool to have, if you're buying grease in jars or tubs.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 01-14-21, 08:36 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
I am a strong proponent of marine grease.
Old 01-15-21, 04:55 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
As long as you are using any grease, you are ahead in the game. Don’t overthink it..
I ended up going back to the same cycle shop to pickup some brake and shifter cables and housing. Last week they were out of grease but just got in a shipment in of White Lightning Crystal Grease. They were using the same product in their shop, so I thought that I would give it a try.
Reviews seem great, colorless, odorless and will not stain. Small purchase so we shall see how it performs.

Likes For tjfastback66:
Old 01-15-21, 05:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by tjfastback66
I ended up going back to the same cycle shop to pickup some brake and shifter cables and housing. Last week they were out of grease but just got in a shipment in of White Lightning Crystal Grease. They were using the same product in their shop, so I thought that I would give it a try.
Reviews seem great, colorless, odorless and will not stain. Small purchase so we shall see how it performs.

It works well and we use it all the time at the shop. It is great for telling when something has gone bad and hasn't let us down so far.
Old 01-16-21, 12:16 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I use mechanic's grease with PTFE. It's cheap, so I use it for everything. If I buy expensive specialized bike grease I believe I would miser it.
I once used white grease (lithium?), but found that it dried out
Old 01-16-21, 12:20 AM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is great for telling when something has gone bad and hasn't let us down so far.
Can you please explain?
Old 01-16-21, 08:35 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Can you please explain?
It is a clear grease if it starts to turn a different shade you can easily tell something is happening.
Old 01-16-21, 11:38 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is a clear grease if it starts to turn a different shade you can easily tell something is happening.
Got it. Thanks
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 01-17-21, 08:41 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Car Quest (Advance Auto Parts) hi temp disc brake grease. Works great and is 7 bucks for a 1 pound tub. Has an unusual non-grease scent as well. Color is somewhat clear. We use it in the shop because of the price and lubricity is good for seat posts, stems and bearings. Not super waxy and fills in threads nicely when lubing threaded bits. Fancy grease is nice, but really not necessary as most bearings are designed around standard readily available lithium grease spec.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 01-17-21, 08:47 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
I just use the...you got it...The Park Tool grease...I get it at cost from my bicycle shop friends that I buy and sell a lot of bicycles to and from...
Old 01-17-21, 04:04 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Hold on one second! Not every grease is the same. Boat trailer grease is the wrong type to use because it is too thick. It is really designed for a marine environment. And it smells bad. If your bike regularly takes a dip in the water then you use that. Otherwise use something light like Phil Wood's grease which is designed for bicycles. If you don't believe me- try both types on grease on your pedal spindles and then spin the pedals. One will spin like molasses and the other will spin freely.
Now when it comes to something that don't spin- like your headset- boat trailer grease is perfectly acceptable. Likewise brake calipers, brake levers, etc.
I disagree. Too thick??? Especially for the extreme loads on the head set, and the bottom bracket, a thick heavy grease is a good thing.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-12-21, 07:35 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
If you have a carbon frame you have to be careful of what greases you use. But like others say I use marine axle grease because it's water resistant and doesn't wash out. My experience was I used to only buy a red grease called Bull Shot when I was a teenager and actively cycling but it was stupidly expensive. When I got back into cycling I tried to get some but I learned it was out of production. I found a tub of a red "bicycle" grease that the bike shop told me was similar to bull shot. I went on my first semi long distance ride in the mountains and the red grease actually broke down and was literally dripping out of the hubs! (I think it was past it's shelf life). I tried marine axel grease out of desperation to continue my trip and it worked like a charm.
Still got one! I probably ordered it right before Bull Shot stopped producing it. Or perhaps even a bit thereafter. Stuff's so silky smooth. So what's in the big tub I have is dwindling, so I just picked up a tub of Mobil 1 synthetic to use on "everyone else's" bikes. Also red and well recommended. Seems pretty nice. Great price at $10. The Bull Shot's reserved for my stable! (And even then, only those most deserving!)

For most bearings, any decent waterproof grease will do fine. That said, viscous lubricants are not all "the same," or interchangeable. When lubricating a DT/Swiss star ratchet or Chris King spline drive, it's best to use what the manufacturer specifies. And don't just pack a cassette body with grease because you like silent freewheeling - this will lead to premature pawl failure. Even S&S couplers demand fluorine grease, although probably only if you're assembling and disassembling them on a very regular basis.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 05-12-21, 08:42 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I use mechanic's grease with PTFE. It's cheap, so I use it for everything. If I buy expensive specialized bike grease I believe I would miser it.
I once used white grease (lithium?), but found that it dried out
I'll add this caveat:

All cyclists and bike shops should seriously reconsider their use of PTFE/Teflon and any related compounds. Recently, I finally gave in and was going to give submersion chain wax a try and ordered a pound of it on Amazon. Right after it arrived, I watched the movie "Dark Waters." Although this movie is obviously a dramatization, it's still an excellent cautionary tale about our chemical industry. The issue is obviously complex, but it's clear we afford the chemical industry free reign when it comes to development and releasing their products to market with minimal oversight.

The freshly-ordered PTFE-infused wax will not be getting used!

I stopped using Teflon pans probably two decades ago. No way should we be heating, cooking and preparing our food on this stuff. These compounds do not biodegrade; they accumulate and stay in your body.

I also recently read about the discovery of PTFE in our protected water sheds. It turns out that downhill & back country skiers are using ski waxes with PTFE and it scrubs off and ends up in our snow. Our water supply. So although wilderness areas are protected and considered "pristine," we're depositing all sorts of complex chemical compounds in our "cleanest" places. I'd prefer cyclists not add to and further the damage. And yes, I realize TriFlo has had Teflon or related products in it for years.

But shouldn't we draw the line somewhere? Shouldn't we simply agree that these compounds shouldn't be introduced into every wild place we frequent? (They shouldn't be in ANY places, for that matter!) I think it's time to assume some responsibility and just say no to these toxic substances.

Thanks for taking this into consideration.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 05-12-21, 08:43 PM
adipe

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
i go with a homebrew involving lithium type grease (it has non synthetic base oils - isoparaffinic) and a hBN additive product. not the best base oils in the lithium grease product i use... so i throw in some GL4 gear oil product (says synthetic on it and i've seen it behave as non newtonian btw).

i should get some quality polyurea grease - one that is EP, heavy duty, having synthetic base oil. not to say that i'd not mix it with other things.
Old 05-12-21, 09:01 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by lv2tndm
i'll add this caveat:

All cyclists and bike shops should seriously reconsider their use of ptfe/teflon and any related compounds. Recently, i finally gave in and was going to give submersion chain wax a try and ordered a pound of it on amazon. Right after it arrived, i watched the movie "dark waters." although this movie is obviously a dramatization, it's still an excellent cautionary tale about our chemical industry. The issue is obviously complex, but it's clear we afford the chemical industry free reign when it comes to development and releasing their products to market with minimal oversight.

The freshly-ordered ptfe-infused wax will not be getting used!

I stopped using teflon pans probably two decades ago. No way should we be heating, cooking and preparing our food on this stuff. These compounds do not biodegrade; they accumulate and stay in your body.

I also recently read about the discovery of ptfe in our protected water sheds. It turns out that downhill & back country skiers are using ski waxes with ptfe and it scrubs off and ends up in our snow. Our water supply. So although wilderness areas are protected and considered "pristine," we're depositing all sorts of complex chemical compounds in our "cleanest" places. I'd prefer cyclists not add to and further the damage. And yes, i realize triflo has had teflon or related products in it for years.

But shouldn't we draw the line somewhere? Shouldn't we simply agree that these compounds shouldn't be introduced into every wild place we frequent? (they shouldn't be in any places, for that matter!) i think it's time to assume some responsibility and just say no to these toxic substances.

Thanks for taking this into consideration.

+1
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-12-21, 09:01 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Finish Line Teflon and Phil’s.

John
Old 05-12-21, 10:35 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
[QUOTE=masi61;21877599]
Originally Posted by pdlamb

The tube that I had seemed kind of gelatinous to me. If I squish the ball bearings down into a bead of grease in a hub cup I look for the grease to hold the bearings and not move to the side. It just seemed to repel the bearings in a way that made me less confident in my repacking job. The Finish Line Creamy Teflon tub that I have is thicker and stickier. Maybe it has a wee bit more rolling friction than the Phil Wood stuff, I don’t know.
I haven’t found that with Phil’s. Could be a bad or old tube.

It’s funny I use Finish Line because I feel it has less friction, although I really don’t know. But if I think the bike will not be maintained as well as I would, I’ll use Phil’s as I think it holds up to abuse better.

There is no rhyme or reason, just tendencies that evolve over the years.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-12-21, 11:06 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
the sun is going to eventually burn out and all humans will have passed well before then. so the Earth will be around a lot longer than humans, so i would not worry to much about grease pollution.

it is fun to experiment with different types of bike grease, the choices will never end,

right now, since i ride in the rain a lot with non sealed bearings, i find that the type of grease you use in certain locations on the bike can make a difference. Park and Phil grease worked for a little while in the rain but eventually turned to mush, so we will try the Mobil 1 next time in the bottom brackets and the front and rear hubs. the Shimano expensive grease is amazing, it stays where you put it, heck it takes three hand washings with laundry detergent to get it completely off your hands. it is perfect for pedals and the headset. since it is lighter, it works better with small bearings.

i use to try all kinds of grease for cable housings, lithium white, car wheel bearing brown, graphite powder, 30 wt oil, WD-40, phil and park, but found that they got sticky over time, after reading a web page by pro mechanics i tried the Tri Flow and Bingo! even the Aero Gran Comp levers feel as smooth as silk. There might be a few readers who have tried those levers and did not enjoy the sticky grinding cable response. Of course drilling out the handlebars for the housing probably made some difference.

for the chain we use Blaster Industrial Strength Silicon spray as it works better than anything else in the rain. however, we have not tried Tri Flow on the chain, maybe we will give that an expensive try.

what about body parts? Noxema pre ride, Carmex Medicated Lip Balm post ride.

and remember, man was created to give the Earth plastic, because the Earth could not make plastic by itself.

Last edited by cjenrick; 05-12-21 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-14-21, 08:43 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
If you have a carbon frame you have to be careful of what greases you use.
I don't believe this to be the case with common grease or oils (chain lube), and don't believe there is any real world issue; frame builders have done testing, i.e., Cervelo.
Old 05-14-21, 10:06 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
I have a bottle of hypoid gear oil that I often soak freewheels in that I am not going/able to take apart, and my wife knows when I have been playing with that as it has a noticeable smell. It is cheap, reuseable, and eventually black gunk falls out of the bearings.
My poor wife. She’s becoming a POL smell expert.
She knows atf,wd40,gas,diesel. Been awhile since I’ve messed with gear oil.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 05-14-21, 10:12 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

At work different vendors bring products hoping the employer will buy them on a recurring contract. They brought some aerosol spray open gear grease. After off gassing it seems equivalent to trailer grease and not as sticky as open gear grease in the tube. I’ve been using on bikes. Seems good so far.

In my experience the “natural/nontoxic” I think soy based? It’s garbage. Hardens and gums up within months.
Old 05-14-21, 10:26 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I don't believe this to be the case with common grease or oils (chain lube), and don't believe there is any real world issue; frame builders have done testing, i.e., Cervelo.
Maybe I could be wrong, as I'm just going off a couple articles I've read such such as this. Technical Q&A with Lennard Zinn - More greased carbon | VeloNews.com and I think I heard it mentioned on a GCN tech talk.
Old 05-14-21, 11:18 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I agree with all the posters that say it's not all that important which grease you use as long as you use enough of it to begin with. For over 50 years I have been looking at tests and mechanics advice and wild claims by mfrs. and have never been able to determine that one grease is noticeably better than another for bike use. Any of the bike greases I've used have been fine but so have the cheap tubs of marine grease I bought at the auto parts stores. If you feel better about buying the overpriced bike specific stuff go ahead as the cost of using a small amount every year is pretty minimal unless you're doing a fleet of bikes. For a good article explaining greases checkout forum member BikeGremlin's site. Of course there will be detractors from his advice (true of anything having to do with lube discussions) but from my experience he is right on. The best bicycle bearing grease | BikeGremlin

Thank you for posting.
I skimmed it. Saw his thoughts on chain lube.
At work we have an old can of 5606 or 83202 (don’t remember which).
None of our equipment uses that.
Will snag some for chains.
Old 05-14-21, 12:38 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Before I knew better I bought Lubriplate EMB grease. It's a synthetic that the bearing store near the refinery recommended. It costs about $5 for a 14ounce tube. Any grease from the auto store will be more than adequate for our use. Our bearings are low load, low speed units.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.