Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I got a good deal for an old Rockhopper :)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-07-21, 01:09 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts

Hello. I bought this bike for 30$. For starting a new project was absolutely a stunning price.
The option now are those:
1- restore keep it original , polishing and apply the clear coat.
2-fully restore with a special paint job (i was thinking to mimic the Klein white base with 3 primary color splatter , called "graffiti" or another different and nice paint job. Keep the parts and the functionality of the bike.
2- new paint job and upgrade with some modern parts.
3- gravel drop bar with 1x setup (probably plus new paint job).
4- original paint job + clear coat and then a full tracklocross setup with flipflop hub.
The bike is still traveling , probably the postal service will delivery to my home tomorrow. But i can't stop thinking to play with it.

Last edited by CrowSeph; 12-07-21 at 01:23 PM.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 12-07-21, 04:54 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
You got a screaming good deal there lol.
Likes For Rage:
Old 12-07-21, 05:01 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
That paint is in good shape; there's no reason to repaint it.

Nice bike and good deal at $30.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 12-07-21, 05:19 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by bikemig
That paint is in good shape; there's no reason to repaint it.

Nice bike and good deal at $30.
Originally Posted by Rage
You got a screaming good deal there lol.
Okay , new paint job has been rejected.
what about components? Keep or update? (Cassette , handlebar ,stem and 1x setup)
Old 12-07-21, 05:30 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
what about components? Keep or update? (Cassette , handlebar ,stem and 1x setup)
well, if the paint's faded/in poor shape, maybe do it. otherwise, the only point would be that it's not interesting enough for you. it is a lot of work or money to do it, though

also, it depends on what you want out of a bike. if everything's in working order after new cables, housing, pads, etc. there's not much point in changing things up unless you just want to be relatively current. newer tech sometimes just works better. anyway, it's probably a 7 speed, so if you wanted to go 8spd or more, you'd have to at least get a new rear wheel....or...modify a new cassette by removing a cog or two to get any 8spd or above to fit on the existing freehub. which is doable, but you'd still need new shifters and slight possibility of a new rear derailleur. certainly a new chain. i think most folks around this subforum tend to appreciate the vintageness of an old bike and use everything if possible. ultimately, the goal is to ride the bike, yes?

ps. if the current shifters turn out to not work well or at all, that could be justification for moving up to 8 or 9spd tech. the 7spd shifters these days aren't anything to get jazzed over. they do work, though. and, you could always try to find nicer vintage 7spd shifters (deore, xt, etc) on ebay or something, but good luck with that. in great shape, the prices are often shocking. in which case, you might as well update

Last edited by thook; 12-07-21 at 05:35 PM.
Likes For thook:
Old 12-07-21, 05:57 PM
bikemig 

I wouldn’t be in a hurry to sink a bunch of money into this project. I’d overhaul it, replace the consumables, clean it up and ride for a while. The bike likely needs a new saddle. Ride it first and see what you think. Old school 3 x 7 gearing works well.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 12-07-21, 06:00 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,245 Posts
Clean it, repack everything and ride it first. It's not high end, just a solid rigid ride. I update bikes like this only when I have extra parts from my stash. It's not really worth pouring money into unless you you've got an extra bucket of Euros in the corner and you're itching to spend it.

Not to mock anyone who's spent too much on a restoration. Little doubt, that's all of us.

Last edited by clubman; 12-07-21 at 08:27 PM. Reason: not to disparage anyone
Likes For clubman:
Old 12-07-21, 06:34 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Yep, clean and repack will do it unless parts are shot.
Likes For Rage:
Old 12-08-21, 12:16 AM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Agree with replacing consumables, wash and wax. You could go dropbar but be prepared to spend money and time. I know this from experience.
Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 12-08-21, 12:58 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by bikemig
I wouldn’t be in a hurry to sink a bunch of money into this project. I’d overhaul it, replace the consumables, clean it up and ride for a while. The bike likely needs a new saddle. Ride it first and see what you think. Old school 3 x 7 gearing works well.
By looking at YouTube and other places seems there is a new fashion to update the parts on an old mountain bike, i was thinking that's was the right way to restore , but you guys made me re evaluate a maintainitive type of restoration. I'll disassembly, check the parts and just in case swapping the parts don't work anymoreanymore.
Thanks as always everyone for the help , but if you have info or advice regarding this bike keep posting. Cheers
Old 12-08-21, 06:54 AM
bikemig 

By looking at YouTube and other places seems there is a new fashion to update the parts on an old mountain bike, i was thinking that's was the right way to restore , but you guys made me re evaluate a maintainitive type of restoration. I'll disassembly, check the parts and just in case swapping the parts don't work anymoreanymore.
Thanks as always everyone for the help , but if you have info or advice regarding this bike keep posting. Cheers
There's nothing new about modernizing old bikes. Sometimes people do it, sometimes they don't. I think it makes sense for you to fix it up and ride it for a while before sinking money into it. You may find that the existing parts (plus any replacements that may be needed) work well for your purposes. I have two stumpjumpers. One is from 1988 and I've only replaced parts as needed. It is my primary commuter. The other is a 1992 Stumpjumper and I did a drop bar conversion to turn it into a gravel bike. Again I used as many of the old parts as I could.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 12-08-21, 07:34 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
The world is your oyster, do whatever you feel like with it! Think about what you have in your stable already, and what type of build would fill a niche you haven't filled yet. I've rehabbed a few of those style Rockhoppers, they are super easy to work on. I turned mine into a single speed MTB, and it's wildly fun. Good luck!

Specialized Rockhopper Singlespeed by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr
Likes For PugRider:
Old 12-08-21, 07:54 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Unless you just dont like that colorway on the bike I would just clean and polish. the paint on them is pretty good I have seen some that looked like they were in the bottom of canal and they clean up fine.

The 3x7 is cheap and reliable. if shifters are junk get some thumbies. If it was me I would clean it, recable, and new tires and tubes. Probably a handle bar and seat change.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 12-08-21, 08:17 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by PugRider
The world is your oyster, do whatever you feel like with it! Think about what you have in your stable already, and what type of build would fill a niche you haven't filled yet. I've rehabbed a few of those style Rockhoppers, they are super easy to work on. I turned mine into a single speed MTB, and it's wildly fun. Good luck!

Specialized Rockhopper Singlespeed by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr
Nice! Can i see more photos of your bike?
I Must check if there is a specific rockhopper tread ,😉
Old 12-08-21, 01:10 PM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Nice! Can i see more photos of your bike?
I Must check if there is a specific rockhopper tread ,😉
There is a "show off your rockhopper" thread or whatever kicking around here somewhere...
I don't have many more pics of my SS, but I should lol. It's (I think) a slightly newer model compared to yours, it has Ritchey "nitanium" tubing and a threadless 1 1/8 headset. I had to use a torch to get the old BB out, and the chain is made up of leftover links that I saved over the years getting new chains!
Likes For PugRider:
Old 12-08-21, 02:35 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Dropbar builds are a rabbit hole. Built this up with new components as cheaply as possible. Only original part is the frame and canti brake hardware. Greatest cost was in converting from 3x7 to 1x10. Can certainly go cheaper if you take your time to source quality used parts.
Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 12-08-21, 05:23 PM
CrowSeph

Update:
the bike came more good as expected.
-Tires are on good shape
-Shifters seems working properly
-Seatpost is not stuck and there is just a little bit of patina
-The saddle can be repaired easily
-The frame has some little rust spot easy to treats.
-cable and cable housing must be replaced since they are hard as a rock.

The handlebar must be cleaned well since has a lot of rust spot but nothing bad.

can you guys help me regarding the bike year?

Last edited by CrowSeph; 12-08-21 at 05:28 PM.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 12-08-21, 09:06 PM
Wilbur76

I’d google Specialized retrobike catalogue. Once you get to the page with all the catalogs, start at 1991 and work your way up to 1999.
Old 12-08-21, 09:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,245 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
Whew. That's a Limo and I covet that bad. (I'm thinking vintage Green Brooks)
Old 12-08-21, 09:30 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Maybe late 80s, early 90s?
I think, anyway. Have had many iterations of the hardrock, rockhopper and stumpjumper from that time period. Spent most of the 90s riding the heck out of a succession of specialized’s offerings. Until metal matrix, that is. Good times haha.
Old 12-08-21, 09:36 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Update:
the bike came more good as expected.
-Tires are on good shape
-Shifters seems working properly
-Seatpost is not stuck and there is just a little bit of patina
-The saddle can be repaired easily
-The frame has some little rust spot easy to treats.
-cable and cable housing must be replaced since they are hard as a rock.

The handlebar must be cleaned well since has a lot of rust spot but nothing bad.

https://youtu.be/vv6r2HykGXg

can you guys help me regarding the bike year?
Nice. As for the year, the serial number would help.
Old 12-09-21, 09:54 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Korina
Nice. As for the year, the serial number would help.
If i reade correctly the serial must be Gz950499
also by looking at some catalogs those components (Shimano 400lx Exide) seems to direct the bike from 1991. Can you guys confirm that?
Old 12-09-21, 10:37 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I would guess early 90's based on components...
Old 12-09-21, 06:09 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
I've owned over 750 bikes over the years. I have never, ever painted a bike. First, its a lot of work. Secondly, original paint tends to be more durable than do it yourself paint. Third, professional paint is expensive. Fourth, I consider wear and tear to be patina, and I like it.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 12-09-21, 06:24 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by wrk101
I've owned over 750 bikes over the years. I have never, ever painted a bike. First, its a lot of work. Secondly, original paint tends to be more durable than do it yourself paint. Third, professional paint is expensive. Fourth, I consider wear and tear to be patina, and I like it.
First project i was like "painting is the best part" but now i prefer keep more original as i can. This one has some little marks but the paint is in great shape. After seeing with my eyes (and not from a photo) definitely I'm not going to paint it.

Painting is a good way to express your creativity, but as you mentioned is very expensive. The professional paint is also expensive even if you have the right tools (i own two spray guns and a little sandblaster) , the easy way is to use the spray cans but is the worst paint ever. Not durable at all , you can scratch even with a cloth foil.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.