Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Stranded at Work

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Stranded at Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22, 03:17 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
For me, it was that moment when I realized my bike lock was so secure it wouldn't even let me take my bike out of the rack.
Nowadays we fortunately have cell phones and uber.
Old 01-13-22, 06:13 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I changed into my cycling gear, turned on my Garmin and walked out the door... CRASH! A thunderstorm started right as I was leaving.

I bicycle commute twice a week to work, three times if I can, but I'm stranded here at my office waiting for the lightening to stop. I've always prided myself on cycling in any weather except for 25mph+ wind or lightening. Fortunately, I don't need to deal with snow or subfreezing temeratures here in SE Florida, but I'm not going out there in an electrical storm. So I'm here with you folks until I don't hear lightening for ten minutes. My makeshift dinner tonight consists of 2 Nutrigrain bars covered in almond butter. It's not my choice of dinner selections, but it's not so bad, considering. My office assistant usually has chocolate hidden somewhere in her desk, but I'm afraid I'll eat all of it if I start on only one or two. It may sound like I'm complaining, but I'm not upset; I'm just killing time. I'm also done with work, having put in a ten hour day. It's been about 40 minutes, and I can still hear some thunder.

So do any of you have stranded at work stories?
When I was a GI, I was stationed in Tampa for a few years. I was into triathlons. I would run/swim/bike in any weather. I ESPECIALLY loved it when it was raining, because I was cooler and felt cleaner. Sometimes a good rain will cleanse your soul. Sometimes we need to realize the simple joys in life, and one of my simplest, yet most-satisfying joys would be to run or ride in the heat and all of a sudden a rainstorm bursts and cools me right off. So refreshing, so much fun! Lightning? Meh. If its my time to go, its up to God, and if he wants to direct one of those lightning bolts at me, then so be it. Honestly, rather than being stick at work, I would have called an Uber.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 01-13-22, 02:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Think of it this way: lightning travels thousands of feet through the air which is a very poor conductor of electricity to get to the ground. A small bit of rubber or a bit of plastic isn’t going to stop it.

Carbon fiber is also conductive. I once felt the electricity of an approaching storm crackle through my fly rod high up in the Colorado Rockies.
I was not aware of that. I wasn't thinking a CF bike made me lightning-proof, but I did think that only ferrous metals were the issue. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-13-22, 06:35 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
When I was a GI, I was stationed in Tampa for a few years. I was into triathlons. I would run/swim/bike in any weather. I ESPECIALLY loved it when it was raining, because I was cooler and felt cleaner. Sometimes a good rain will cleanse your soul. Sometimes we need to realize the simple joys in life, and one of my simplest, yet most-satisfying joys would be to run or ride in the heat and all of a sudden a rainstorm bursts and cools me right off. So refreshing, so much fun! Lightning? Meh. If its my time to go, its up to God, and if he wants to direct one of those lightning bolts at me, then so be it. Honestly, rather than being stick at work, I would have called an Uber.
I'm with you in the rain. When I ride in the rain, I sometimes suddenly realize, I've been cycling with a big smile on my face. For me, I think it has to do with Velo rule # 9. But I don't mess with lightning. Florida is the capital of lightning, and I've heard of too many stories of people getting struck.

Last edited by Bassmanbob; 01-13-22 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 06:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I'm with you in the rain. When I ride in the rain, I sometimes suddenly realize, I've been cycling with a big smile on my face. For me, I think it has to do with Velo rule # 9. But I don't mess with lightening. Florida is the capital of lightening, and I've heard of too many stories of people getting struck.
Grammar police alert...

Lightening is making something weigh less.
Lightning is the stuff that zaps you.

Sorry.
Old 01-13-22, 06:51 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Originally Posted by Eric F
Grammar police alert...

Sorry.
LOL. Thank you. I’ll change it.
Old 01-13-22, 07:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Grammar police alert...
I guess we owe you one after raking you for your not-plastic bike
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-13-22, 08:24 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I guess we owe you one after raking you for your not-plastic bike
My posts weren't serious enough to get butt-hurt about anything. I'll go back to worrying about my plastic bike disintegrating in the sunshine or assploding after getting a scuff on the paint.
Old 01-13-22, 10:35 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
I was not aware of that. I wasn't thinking a CF bike made me lightning-proof, but I did think that only ferrous metals were the issue. Thanks for the info.
Metals are conductive…all of them. 95 of the 118 elements are metals that will conduct electricity. There are also 8 metaloids which can conduct electricity (kinda). Carbon is kind of weird in that is not a metal but it can be nonconductive or conductive depending on its crystalline form. Carbon fiber is graphite like and can conduct electricity pretty well. Ever heard of “arc lights”? The light is produced by an electrical arc between two graphite electrodes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-14-22, 06:20 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Metals are conductive…all of them. 95 of the 118 elements are metals that will conduct electricity. There are also 8 metaloids which can conduct electricity (kinda). Carbon is kind of weird in that is not a metal but it can be nonconductive or conductive depending on its crystalline form. Carbon fiber is graphite like and can conduct electricity pretty well. Ever heard of “arc lights”? The light is produced by an electrical arc between two graphite electrodes.
I love to read the stuff coming from your scientific mind, Stu.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 01-15-22, 03:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Bike commuted most of the 8 years we lived in Atlanta. Can only remember a couple of times having to call spouse for a car ride home due to threatening weather. One of those times she called me at work and strongly suggested I let her pick me up.
I was able to make it home on my bike the day of Snow Jam in January 1982.
Old 01-15-22, 06:46 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
uphill?

gm
Old 01-16-22, 11:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
I'm with you in the rain. When I ride in the rain, I sometimes suddenly realize, I've been cycling with a big smile on my face. For me, I think it has to do with Velo rule # 9. But I don't mess with lightning. Florida is the capital of lightning, and I've heard of too many stories of people getting struck.
Grammar police alert...

Sorry.
If you want to be pedantic, spelling is not generally considered to be an element of grammar.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-21-22, 03:28 PM
Bassmanbob

Being stranded at work is far superior to be stranded under an overpass during a raging thunderstorm. At least it’s drier and warmer. Colorado thunderstorms can drop the temperature 20 to 30°. Wet and standing around at 60°F is very uncomfortable.
I once had to seek shelter at a Burger King for a half hour. They didn't seem to mind that I didn't order anything after I told them I was sheltering from the storm. Perhaps it would have been nice for me to purchase at least a cup of coffee.
Old 01-24-22, 09:13 AM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
We get a lot of summer storms in central Texas around June. I was on my way home in an absolute downpour and storm and about a mile away from home, the lightning hit a block down the road.

Had to stop to make sure I didn't **** my pants.