Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a Dutch style bike in the US?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying a Dutch style bike in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 02:50 PM
Billhpeloton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
They’re out there.

Doesn’t hurt to watch Craigslist and FB Marketplace. I found a Gazelle Orange, in like new condition, for $235. 7-spd Nexus, generator lights, racks, full chain guard, etc The seller had purchased it at a garage sale. I assume from someone who had moved here from abroad. It’s a beautiful bike if used for it’s designed purpose.
Old 02-15-21, 03:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Priority has some options, slightly out of the OP's $500 max, but they do have sales every now and then. The Priority Classic I bought, with fenders, rack, and front brake add-ons, didn't cost much more than that a few years back.

It got me back into cycling, but I ended up not riding it much after learning that the 3-speed upright tank style of bike (weight-wise it's under 30 lb, but handling is another story) wasn't that useful to get around non-flat Seattle. I realized that I much preferred to get to my destination as quickly as possible under my own power, because frankly there are hardly any bike routes connecting places people need to go (i.e., commutes and shopping) that are pleasant enough to enjoy at a leisurely pace.
I'm diggin' the Gates drive. If I were to get a super-casual bike for family rides and grocery gettin', I'd wouldn't want to add too much maintenance, so the Gates would be a welcomed differentiator.
Old 02-15-21, 03:55 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm diggin' the Gates drive. If I were to get a super-casual bike for family rides and grocery gettin', I'd wouldn't want to add too much maintenance, so the Gates would be a welcomed differentiator.
The belt-drive was a big point for me as a novice who knew exactly one thing about bike maintenance (how to pump tires... up to the max PSI written on the tire label ) before getting the Classic. I bought one for my wife too and we even did a short gravel excursion on them, but then she discovered that tandems were more enjoyable because they gave her a built-in motor -- me -- so no more casual rides with the Classics.
Likes For surak:
Old 04-06-21, 12:18 PM
satrain18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The one main thing you'll see in the so called dutch style bike is that the crankset is further forward in relation to the saddle. This is pretty much what the true cruiser style bike is... IMO. It makes for comfortable upright seating on a big comfy saddle for short rides around town or to the city park.

The bike industry confused everyone years ago when they came out with hybrids. People somehow mistakenly got the idea that hybrids were the thing for comfortable upright leisurely riding and cruisers sort of went out of the main stream for a while.

The Electra from trek as someone else posted comes in every conceivable configuration and component offering for a cruiser. They start at some pretty low prices for a basic coaster brake or single speed freewheel with rim brakes.
Keep in mind that the man who created this video move from Toronto—a city with plenty of hills that is 243 square miles big—to Amsterdam which is under 85 and it flat as an board, aside from the smattering of canal bridges. On a Dutch bike going 10 miles per hour(typical Dutch speed), you could go from the westernmost part of Nieuw-West to the Oude Kerk(6.9 miles) in 30 minutes. A ride on that same bike from Clairville to Toronto City Hall at that speed will take 1 hour and 43 minutes. Dutch cities are nowhere near as sprawled out as those in the US and Canada. and 95% of the country is flat as a board. I don't know how big(in square miles) or how hilly the OP's city is, but it's worth consideration.

Last edited by satrain18; 04-06-21 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-06-21, 12:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by satrain18
Keep in mind that the man who created this video move from Toronto—a city with plenty of hills that is 243 square miles big—to Amsterdam which is under 85 and it flat as an board, aside from the smattering of canal bridges. On a Dutch bike going 10 miles per hour(typical Dutch speed), you could go from the westernmost part of Nieuw-West to the Oude Kerk(6.9 miles) in 30 minutes. A ride on that same bike from Clairville to Toronto City Hall at that speed will take 1 hour and 43 minutes. Dutch cities are nowhere near as sprawled out as those in the US and Canada. and 95% of the country is flat as a board. But still, we do (badly)need better and safer cycling infrastructure and laws that imposes harsher penalties on reckless motorists.
I didn't see where the OP stated that they had any speed requirements or that they had a particular distance they had to travel in a certain time.

I see people riding their bikes at 10 mph or less on the level spots where I'm at. They seem to enjoy being that slow. I've haven't a clue how far or how long they are going to ride.

The gearing on the bikes I suggested will more than overcome the average hill for most people. Assuming they'll shift to the lower ratio gears which way too many I see out never do. I saw a couple people walking up a hill last year. They were in the high ratio gears and had plenty of lower ratio gears left .

Last edited by Iride01; 04-06-21 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-07-21, 06:54 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
There's a Dutch bike for every discipline ya know.

Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 01-16-22, 10:54 AM
Captain_Slow

Bikes: Old European roadsters, beach cruisers. Steel snob.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Brooklyn Bicycle Company Willow or Franklin is probably the best choice of this general style of bike at the price point in the USA. They are more similar to classic Raleigh three speeds, but reimagined by Grant Peterson or Rivendell. Yes they don't have the dynamo lights, hub brakes, or full chain cases of true Dutch bikes. Conversely they use fairly standard components. I don't own one. I do own both Workcycles and Worksman. Workcycles are probably the best made bike for utility cycling. Worksman is just as solidly built, but not as corrosion resistant. Neither use parts that most bike shops will have, both respond promptly to email and have spares. Worksman especially has great spares because they have been making the same thing unchanged for decades. I can't imagine either bike needing much service.
Old 01-20-22, 09:06 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Big upvotes for vintage Schwinns and poster Vintage Schwinn. The bikes are phenomenally easy to work on. That was a design criteria. For those who find anything hard about working on them, remove your blinders, snap out of your hypnotic trance. Frank Schwinn and Frank Brilando wanted those bikes to be repairable by 12 year old boys. They succeeded.

My next door neighbor rides daily all year round on a Raleigh Sports he bought new in 1954. Yes, he is 92 years old. It is currently 12 degrees outside and I just saw him ride by. His bike is a little harder to learn and to find parts for. Worth the trouble. You might just live a long and happy life on a bike.

For the poster in Chicago. Even if real Dutch bikes are out of your price range go talk to J C Lind. He will talk to you. He knows bikes and he loves bikes. He has this discussion every day. His time is valuable and he will give it to you free.

Real Dutch bikes are heavy. They are designed for a flat country. They are designed to last. They are intended to be used every day. They are intended for carrying children and groceries. Most of them are parked outdoors. They are too big and too heavy to carry up the stairs to a small apartment. They park in snow and rain and still last generations.

Shipping small quantities of Dutch bikes to US is phenomenally expensive. Dutch buyers get a government subsidy that covers almost half the cost. The cheap bikes mentioned above do not compare. Cheap bikes can and will get the job done. At least for a while. But not the same.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 01-21-22, 03:57 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
I’d much rather get something like and old Schwinn Varsity. It’s as heavy as a modern “Dutch” style bike, but not made in Asia of recycled car exhaust pipe steel, and made when a good bike was expected to be good for a century (100 years, not 100 miles). The old Schwinns are rugged, easy to adjust/repair, and when you get tired of one you can sell it for at least what you paid for it. I’ve been in the market for a 70’s Schwinn Cruiser to ride around in Kamakura, but these bikes are stupidly expensive in Japan nowadays.
Old 01-21-22, 08:07 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I’d much rather get something like and old Schwinn Varsity. It’s as heavy as a modern “Dutch” style bike, but not made in Asia of recycled car exhaust pipe steel, and made when a good bike was expected to be good for a century (100 years, not 100 miles). The old Schwinns are rugged, easy to adjust/repair, and when you get tired of one you can sell it for at least what you paid for it. I’ve been in the market for a 70’s Schwinn Cruiser to ride around in Kamakura, but these bikes are stupidly expensive in Japan nowadays.
LOL, no offense but your description of a modern Dutch bike is just sooooooo wrong.

Picked up an Azor last year as my "last forever, grow old on" bike. There is absolutely nothing low quality about it and it's going to last a very, very long time. Nothing really special about the parts on it either. Typical Shimano stuff readily available and quite common now on E-bikes. It's heavy for sure but a wonderful ride. Very durable powdercoated frame with a slew of stainless steel parts to last generations in the weather without any corrosion. I got mine with an 8 speed IGH and it can handle any hill I can throw at it. It's a tool and so dang perfect for that.

Very strong and durable frame and coating.

Nothing cheap or low quality about this at all. Step through design means effortless mounting even if fully loaded with gear. Can carry an incredibly heavy load with ease.

Oversized roller brakes and 8 speed IGH setup.

Front rack mounts to frame so it doesn't affect handling at all when fully loaded and can be removed in seconds when not needed.

For years and years I made do with "compromise" bikes for a utility bike. Now I have the real deal and it is perfect for what it's made for. No Schwinn can match the capability of a true dutch bike like this and I say that as a Schwinn fan who has had a lot of them over the years and still has one in the stable.

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-21-22 at 10:46 AM.