Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Question on Panniers, Front Or Rear

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 09:47 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts

I have done few shorter tours the last few years,5 -6 days. I plan on doing some longer tours and was thinking of going more lightweight. Handlebar bag and two panniers instead of 4. Question is, do you folks that ride with this setup use two front panniers or two rears? I see lots of pics of two in the back but occasionally see 2 up front only. Are they on to something? Apologies if this has been covered.
Old 01-25-21, 10:35 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Sorry,should have used search function before starting thread. Lots of info in old threads,thanks
Likes For garryg:
Old 01-26-21, 08:41 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
As you'll see, comes down to volume needed. Both work, but larger rear panniers will have more room for added daily food end of day grocery buy, for example.
No requirement to fully fill panniers.
Happy lighter smaller equipment choosing, finding and buying.
Old 01-26-21, 02:03 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
In addition to rear panniers and a H-bar bag, I also use a bikepacking style frame bag. This helps to put some weight towards the front. Lately, I have been considering a randonneur bag and rack, or some other kind of large front bag that partially hangs off the bars and is supported.