Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Shoes that recede and turn into sneakers

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-08-21, 05:32 PM
austin2359

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How bout that? Is that possible.

Shoes that essentially fit into a metal bicycle pedals, but then you can turn them into sneakers when you want to get off the bike and walk?
Old 04-08-21, 05:33 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
You want mountain bike shoes.
Old 04-08-21, 05:42 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
No its not really possible. SPD/Mountain bike shoes satisfy the requirements to a degree in that they have recessed cleats and are considered "walkable", yet you will still hear them click as you walk on hard ground, and the really BIG problem that you won't get around is this, cycling shoes need stiff soles, walking shoes need flexible soles.

Which is your priority?
SPD/Mountain shoes are good for cycling and OK for a short amount of walking. Just wearing your regular street shoes with toe clips and straps is good for walking and OK for some light/low intensity cycling.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 04-08-21, 06:42 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
No its not really possible. SPD/Mountain bike shoes satisfy the requirements to a degree in that they have recessed cleats and are considered "walkable", yet you will still hear them click as you walk on hard ground, and the really BIG problem that you won't get around is this, cycling shoes need stiff soles, walking shoes need flexible sole.
Some mountain bike shoes, although not many, recess the cleats sufficiently that the cleats don't click on hard surfaces.

Walking shoes need flexible soles? Many types of footwear designed for long-distance walking---e.g., hiking boots and combat boots---have nearly or completely inflexible soles. Once, when I found a style of mountain bike shoe that fit particularly well, I bought a second pair and left them cleatless for use in long walks and hikes.
Old 04-08-21, 06:45 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Hiking boots are nowhere near as stiff as cycling shoes. Combat footwear is a completely different set of requirements.
Old 04-08-21, 07:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Shimano SPD sandels.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-08-21, 07:14 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Chrome Kursks or the dozens of other shoes like them are about as close as you can get. Too flexy to be "real" bike shoes, but they work for commuting and bar-hopping.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-08-21, 07:30 PM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
It's an interesting thought...I'm sure if there was a bunch of money to be made with it someone would come up with a way to raise or lower the ckeat on a mountain bike shoe to avoid clicking against the ground. Some are better than others (time atac and crank brothers were a bit better than shimano) but they have a click clack sound on certain surfaces.

One of the advantages of switching to Five Ten flat bike shoes was not having to worry about it any more. They use a special rubber that grips small metal pins very well and they gave me everything I needed from clipless without the hassles of clipless. I'm not racing and the convenience of weating "regular" shoes at a destination was big for me.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 04-08-21, 07:50 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
One of the advantages of switching to Five Ten flat bike shoes was not having to worry about it any more. They use a special rubber that grips small metal pins very well and they gave me everything I needed from clipless
^Truth. Five-Tens and Kona Wah-Wah pedals give you damn near clipless security.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-08-21, 08:37 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Chrome Kursks or the dozens of other shoes like them are about as close as you can get. Too flexy to be "real" bike shoes, but they work for commuting and bar-hopping.

I have a pair of these, but they make my feet stink like crazy. It's the only shoes I have that do that, and I've only worn them less than like 10 times.
Old 04-08-21, 09:28 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Hiking boots are nowhere near as stiff as cycling shoes. Combat footwear is a completely different set of requirements.
My Scarpa walking boots have shanks and are stiffer than my Shimano SPD XM09s. Good hiking boots have very stiff soles. Crappy day walk boots have soft soles. That being said my XM09s aren't bad for walking, I've climbed a 1600m volcano in Japan in them.
And they didn't click when new, after some hard use on tour they are a bit worn down and now click a little bit.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-08-21, 09:43 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've had a previous version of these for years- work great for anything short of the most demanding cycling,

and you could just about play tennis in them.

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-X...s&sr=1-63&th=1
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-08-21, 10:26 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
I have a pair of these and they are amazing, I have dual sided SPD pedals so I only clip in when I wish and these work incredibly well for being clipped, using the flat side, and for walking and they don't click when you're walking.

https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/b...olorCode=black

There are options that work well for the needs the OP is looking for.
Old 04-09-21, 04:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I've had a previous version of these for years- work great for anything short of the most demanding cycling,

and you could just about play tennis in them.

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-X...s&sr=1-63&th=1
I tour and commute in their X-Road Fuel V-5. Work well.
Old 04-09-21, 06:09 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Adidas VeloSamba, if you can find them. Nicer than most of my regular shoes.

Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 04-09-21, 06:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
There is a bit of discussion here about sole stiffness. One needs to be specific what you are talking about and what PART of the sole you are talking about.

Yes, some hiking shoes have a stiff shank in the middle of the sole (under the arch), but the sole is made to bend under the ball of the foot.

For an clip-less shoe to work really well, it needs to be stiff under the ball of the foot.

I’ve got a pair of mtb shoes that are pretty comfortable to walk around it, but not as much as a non-clip-less shoe.... and they are not the greatest for long days of pedaling due to the flex in them. They are fine for both, but there are compromises.

An alternate suggestion is go with flats with a big platform. That eliminates the need for stiffness under the ball of the foot. And many hiking shoes have a stiff shank under the arch which takes care of that part of the foot. The trick is to fins ones without deep lugs, as the traction pins get lost between them.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-09-21, 06:51 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Toe clips turn almost any shoe into a biking shoe.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 04-09-21, 06:55 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Toe clips turn almost any shoe into a biking shoe.
But lord do I hate toeclips. Can't get in them, can't get out of them. I'm not even sure they really work.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 04-09-21, 09:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Sounds like a budding young entrepreneur that want's to give us another product to argue over.
Old 04-09-21, 09:48 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
the problem of stiffness can be taken care of by using a bigger peddle. now these are made for size 13 feet but you get the idea. I can wear only somewhat stiff shoes and they are great. Now if you added clip you could have a more flexivle shoe
Old 04-09-21, 09:57 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
You could buy a much larger pair of shoes to put over the other pair of shoes. Problem solved.

Me I am fine with Mountain bike shoes and the cleat exists and sometimes makes noise but they work fine and have enough walkability for my needs.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-09-21, 05:26 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
There is a bit of discussion here about sole stiffness. One needs to be specific what you are talking about and what PART of the sole you are talking about.

Yes, some hiking shoes have a stiff shank in the middle of the sole (under the arch), but the sole is made to bend under the ball of the foot.

For an clip-less shoe to work really well, it needs to be stiff under the ball of the foot.

I’ve got a pair of mtb shoes that are pretty comfortable to walk around it, but not as much as a non-clip-less shoe.... and they are not the greatest for long days of pedaling due to the flex in them. They are fine for both, but there are compromises.

An alternate suggestion is go with flats with a big platform. That eliminates the need for stiffness under the ball of the foot. And many hiking shoes have a stiff shank under the arch which takes care of that part of the foot. The trick is to fins ones without deep lugs, as the traction pins get lost between them.
I've got 4 pairs of high end Scarpa hiking boots (SLs) and none of them have any real flex under the ball of the foot, they flex less than the 3 pairs of Shimano SPD shoes I have. Boots made for walking with a heavy load have nearly zero flex because they're designed to hold your foot together and give it a rolling contact area when it really wants to squish out into a burger patty. I used to test boots for Scarpa, which is why I have so many.
Old 04-09-21, 05:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
I've got 4 pairs of high end Scarpa hiking boots (SLs) and none of them have any real flex under the ball of the foot, they flex less than the 3 pairs of Shimano SPD shoes I have. Boots made for walking with a heavy load have nearly zero flex because they're designed to hold your foot together and give it a rolling contact area when it really wants to squish out into a burger patty. I used to test boots for Scarpa, which is why I have so many.
I was talking about lighter weight hiking shoes, not heavy weight boots. Like my Tevas, Azolo, and Solomons.

Hiking boots for heavy loads or off trail hiking are not what the OP is looking for or what would fill the niche of sneakers..Or what I want to ride in.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-09-21 at 05:53 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-10-21, 03:17 AM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I was talking about lighter weight hiking shoes, not heavy weight boots. Like my Tevas, Azolo, and Solomons.

Hiking boots for heavy loads or off trail hiking are not what the OP is looking for or what would fill the niche of sneakers..Or what I want to ride in.
You are the one who started talking about hiking boots.
I had a pair of 510 SPD sneakers, they were rubbish, one of the insoles broke in half mid tour, If you want flex, try riding in a shoe with the insole gaffer taped together. That and falling on my butt every time the grass was wet on a hill turned me off "sneaker" style bike shoes with out lugs. OK if you only walk on flat grippy surfaces, but anything slippery and sloping and you're into roller skate territory.
Old 04-10-21, 04:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
You are the one who started talking about hiking boots.
I had a pair of 510 SPD sneakers, they were rubbish, one of the insoles broke in half mid tour, If you want flex, try riding in a shoe with the insole gaffer taped together. That and falling on my butt every time the grass was wet on a hill turned me off "sneaker" style bike shoes with out lugs. OK if you only walk on flat grippy surfaces, but anything slippery and sloping and you're into roller skate territory.
You are so busy arguing with everyone you can that you’re getting us confused.

No, I am NOT the one who started talking about heavy weight hiking boots. In our discussion, that was you.

And regarding deep lugs... read what I wrote. I was talking about use with flat pedals. And for that you do not want deep lugs. You actually want a very minimal tread. There is a reason that shoes designed for flat pedal use have minimal tread. Look at any pair of 5-10s or Ride Concept shoes. People have been using these to push bikes up steep dirt trails for a long time. Apparently pretty much everyone who rides mtb in flat pedals has a different take on this than you do. I’ve never once slipped and fallen in my Ride Concepts.

I own a pair of stiff hiking boots like you describe. They kind of suck to ride in IMO.

Personally, I’ll give up a little bit of grip walking on wet grass to gain a massive amount of grip on my pedals.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-10-21 at 04:50 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.