Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does raising your Seat so that you are Tippy Toed at rest offer Benefits?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does raising your Seat so that you are Tippy Toed at rest offer Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 08:49 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Keep this in mind: We are compensating for an activity (bike riding) that the body really isn't suppose to do.
That's blasphemy!!!!!
Old 01-22-22, 11:06 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Lately , watching taller and faster riders, I notice their knees flex at most 30 degrees and maybe their power is coming from the the strongest part of the quadriceps? Shorter riders flex their knees maybe 45 degrees? ( hypothetical value) and really churn their legs.
Probably seeing some of the difference in running a longer crank than the rider needs but the bikes typically come with. New XS mountain bike and it came with 170mm cranks even though it can fit a 4'6" person. Even with the pedal set for good leg extension on the bottom of the stroke the knee was bending even more than 45* on the top of the stroke. 152mm crank required raising the seat some, really only raised the seat 10mm so the leg extension at the bottom wasn't ideal but the kid would still touch toes to the ground, but with the pedal sitting 18mm lower at the top of the stroke and the seat 10mm higher, it was still a good bend to the knee that wouldn't cause trouble.
Some compensation can be made for the too long crank by spinning more since pedaling harder puts a definite strain on the knee at the start of the down stroke when the crank is too long. Though faster spinning can run into a lactic acid buildup at the knee that hurts too but probably some of the riding difference you're seeing based on height as a taller rider can just power along with the right height.
Old 01-23-22, 12:34 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Some compensation can be made for the too long crank by spinning more since pedaling harder puts a definite strain on the knee at the start of the down stroke when the crank is too long. Though faster spinning can run into a lactic acid buildup at the knee that hurts too but probably some of the riding difference you're seeing based on height as a taller rider can just power along with the right height.
Bolded = no.

The observations the person posted and you replied to aren't eyeball measurable just cruising along and seeing people ride. Maybe a lifelong fitter could eyeball it, otherwise it's really just interesting but useless conjecture without measuring the person/bike/cadence.

A longer crank in the same gear requires LESS torque over a longer distance: d = pi*dia, pi * 2*172.5mm > pi * 2*165mm. T = f/d. d1>d2 but F is equal......so T1 is smaller than T2 on the longer crank.

Next.......Crank length is not gearing. Use gearing to regulate power demand, cadence, and speed. For pleasure and fitness riders that aren't doing weird fit tricks with a tri or TT bike, the crank is a fit coordinate. Height, upper leg length, lower leg length, foot size/length. One can simply change gears to regulate the torque and cadence as they please. Also even though you "feel" you're spinning faster or slower on long and short cranks, you're not. The gear ratio is the same. Your foot just travels a different distance around the circle at a different torque.

Short cranks on a TT bike is still mostly a fit thing also, despite often being quoted otherwise. Crank length changes work on hip angle. I say still a fit thing as you can go to short cranks and have a crap bike fit wrt where you're applying force to the pedals relative to your saddle setback, height, and cleat positions.
Old 01-23-22, 02:09 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Bolded = no.

The observations the person posted and you replied to aren't eyeball measurable just cruising along and seeing people ride. Maybe a lifelong fitter could eyeball it, otherwise it's really just interesting but useless conjecture without measuring the person/bike/cadence.

A longer crank in the same gear requires LESS torque over a longer distance: d = pi*dia, pi * 2*172.5mm > pi * 2*165mm. T = f/d. d1>d2 but F is equal......so T1 is smaller than T2 on the longer crank.

Next.......Crank length is not gearing. Use gearing to regulate power demand, cadence, and speed. For pleasure and fitness riders that aren't doing weird fit tricks with a tri or TT bike, the crank is a fit coordinate. Height, upper leg length, lower leg length, foot size/length. One can simply change gears to regulate the torque and cadence as they please. Also even though you "feel" you're spinning faster or slower on long and short cranks, you're not. The gear ratio is the same. Your foot just travels a different distance around the circle at a different torque.

Short cranks on a TT bike is still mostly a fit thing also, despite often being quoted otherwise. Crank length changes work on hip angle. I say still a fit thing as you can go to short cranks and have a crap bike fit wrt where you're applying force to the pedals relative to your saddle setback, height, and cleat positions.
Don't know what you mean by can't be seen, the effect of too long a crank is very easy to observe when seat height is right for a proper extension at the bottom of the stroke. The rest of your rambling assumes that two riders are using the exact same gear, something neither the op or I suggested. Keeping kids racing I'm well versed with the concept of crank length and how to fit bike, years of selling high end road bikes and doing fitting with them helps. Bikes often come with poor crank lengths at the small end of rider size and riders compensate by how they ride.
Old 01-23-22, 03:03 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Don't know what you mean by can't be seen, the effect of too long a crank is very easy to observe when seat height is right for a proper extension at the bottom of the stroke.
Out in public? The poster said outside in the wild. So unless the crank is literally well over an inch too long/short.......I call BS. And I don't mean from photo on the internet of a person outdoors taken close. I mean actually seeing folks randomly ride by.

I just looked up a women's fit chart for some Liv bikes, two cranks offered. 160 and 165. Men's in the same bike model runs 165 to 175 from smallest to largest offered. Women's is 5mm difference and men's is 10mm. 10mm is a 1/4". You can really see a 3/8" or even less than 1/4" at the "right seat height".

Sorry, no way unless the person is riding a fitting rig indoors right in front of you.

I'd put money on 95% of the time you "notice" this in public, the person has the saddle set at a really really really wrong height or the person is riding a bike that's entirely the wrong size. Yes, some bikes generically toss cranks in the common sizes on smaller/larger sizes........but what I gather here you'd need someone riding a small framed bike with an XL framed bike's crankset. Like putting a 175 on a women's s/m sized frame. Or I'm a guy and wanted to take the dog for a ride in the basket so just hop on my wife's bike instead. Yeah, you can notice that.

For kid bikes falling under the "BSO's" umbrella, yeah, maybe notice that also as some are awful. But for the right frameset size and just 2.5mm or even 5mm of crankset error, c'mon. This is a stretch.

For the wiseguy's, comprise a table guessing each of these cranks.........not all of them being triathletes run a 165.....have fun: this super slomo video would be gift for this guessing game and I still bet you wouldn't be able to tell who does and doesn't run a 165.

Last edited by burnthesheep; 01-23-22 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 07:11 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
go to your LBS and see what they say
Old 01-23-22, 11:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Keep this in mind: everything you do for a good bike fit is basically compensatory. We are compensating for an activity (bike riding) that the body really isn't suppose to do.
May the cycling gods have mercy on your soul.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-24-22, 07:35 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
I tried it a couple of times and it hurts your feet and your behind after only a few miles.
Old 01-27-22, 03:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
That's blasphemy!!!!!

I think it's also complete nonsense.
Old 01-28-22, 09:44 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
The back of my knees hurt when saddle is too high.
Old 01-29-22, 08:34 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
It depends on your pedaling technique.

If you're recruiting your muscles like you're climbing stairs when pedaling then you are doing the natural rythm like when you are running (strong participation of glute muscles), you are pedaling close enough to running where the legs is best adapted to perform. You don't even need to do "cross-training" with the right pedaling technique because the right pedaling technique will also improve or retain your performance in running and also climbing on foot.

Now, to those who pedal like kicking a wall (quad-heavy user), they like to raise their seat to the heavens. Ridiculously high. It results to overdeveloped quads and may develop knee issues later in life. It compromises the bike's handling as well. While science says the glutes are the biggest muscles in the body, then why many cyclist have seemingly small glutes?? Go figure.
Pedaling technique is part of the problem. Just think of the saddle positioning, fore and aft, height etc. They're all related to the pedaling. Then the rider's ability to recruit the muscles to support the torso, another fore and aft saddle positioning. The dynamics go crazy when you think about it. Cycling is making the body adjust to the activity...being on a bike.

The question: what sportive activity is less dependent (compensatory) to a mechanical device? And don't say sex.
Old 01-30-22, 10:41 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
I set my seat for leg extension. My feet barely touch the ground on whatever bike im riding.
Old 01-30-22, 09:56 PM
SoulAmazing

Bikes: CaaD10 TCR

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Some laughs in here enjoyed those. To those who came to this thread to find answers .. listen to your body.
Old 01-31-22, 05:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Pedaling technique is part of the problem. Just think of the saddle positioning, fore and aft, height etc. They're all related to the pedaling. Then the rider's ability to recruit the muscles to support the torso, another fore and aft saddle positioning. The dynamics go crazy when you think about it. Cycling is making the body adjust to the activity...being on a bike.

The question: what sportive activity is less dependent (compensatory) to a mechanical device? And don't say sex.
This is absurd, you've turned the obvious on its head--bicycles are machines built to suit our legs' natural motions. The machines are adapted to us, not the other way around. I'm pretty good on a bike, but I really can't do significant amounts of running without screwing up my feet and ankles. The bicycle machine allows me to do way more with alternating the positions of my legs than I can do without the mechanical adaptation.
​​​​​
Old 01-31-22, 07:22 AM
SoulAmazing

Bikes: CaaD10 TCR

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is the first time I hear the bicycle was not fitted specifically to our body movements.

Post above hit it on the head
With a fractured ankle back 10 years ago i reach a certain limit much faster running than on the bike . And our bodies are meant to walk lol

Also what about the leg press machine at the gym. Similar movement on the bike just with both feet at the same time.
Old 02-08-22, 03:19 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
More tiring to have the seat too low but more prone to injury with overstretched ligaments with it too high. HIking is vastly different as all your weight is supported by your body. On a bicycle people use 85% less energy to move as their weight is supported by the bike.

For me it has always been much harder on my legs to go down a steep hill than it was to go up it as my body needs to decelerate with every step. With knee pain it has often been the use of lighter duty boots that provide less lateral support for my feet and put more lateral stress on my knees.

With a new bike I do a 20 minute warmup and then adjust the height of the seat, starting out high and gradually lowering it 1/8 inch each time. When I get to where there is no lateral movement of my hips as I pedal the height is right for me. The fore and aft setting is also important and as I move the seat up I am also moving its relative position horizontally backward as well.
Old 02-08-22, 05:56 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Why would anyone on a conventional bike need to stand on their tip-toes at rest?

Likes For surak:
Old 02-09-22, 03:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It is amazing to me how many riders seem to have never been taught (or figured out) to straddle the top bar when stopped. (Here's a bonus: It makes starting again much easier too!)
Likes For caloso: