Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 06:19 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris

For the Cross Check commuter
I have those tires on one of the wheelsets for my Cross Check. They’re more comfy with tubes than the 40mm Touareg tires Inused last year, tubeless. Hope they work well for you
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 04-07-22, 07:26 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
so... as much as I really like my week old Poseidon X (lg), there were some needed changes from the outset, and after about 8 ride hours, definite things to adjust to my liking/preferences.
Here the new Stuff...

New Stuff for the Poseidon X

Charge Saddle : the stock saddle (looks ok) is 130 width; a non-starter for me. I need at least 140-143 width. Put on an older Alias, which is nice and good for me; but I do like the Color Combo of the Forest/British Racing Green augmented by Leather Brown accents. Even though I have a bunch of nice saddles, I didn;t have Brown... The Charge looks like "Da Kine" for me... has the saddle shape with works quite well for me - we shall see...
Deda Bar Tape - Leather look, perforated - seems like it'll be nice enough
Zipp Speed Weaponry Service Course 70 XPLR, 44 cm, bar top, flat ovalized, 5 deg flare and flare starts BELOW the levers/shifter position - stock bar was 46 which is way too wide for me... wide for me is 44, had way too much flare (20-24 deg) which also tilted the hoods/levers/shifter. I gave the stock bar a try, but after 8 hrs, I'm certain it needed replacing, for me. The new bar doesn;t flare until the bend below the lever/shifters
Conti Speed Ride tires 700c x 42 (38 measured on the stock rim) for the front. To gain a little more compliance by lower psi. Already ridden and quite nice for the predominant conditions in my area of Ca.
The key ! Redshift Shockstop Stem 110 cm (longest currently in stock) to add some needed shock absorption for the majority of riding here. A lot of high frequency, short, block edge bumps and rocks.
This stuff should make a big difference in the riding comfort and control for the stuff on this bike.
Tomorrow will be fun, getting it all on the bike!
Ride On
Yuri
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
42mm S-Works Pathfinders, really looking forward to trying them out. Pathfinder Pros have been great, the S-Works are 200g lighter (for the pair) and should be faster (Pros are no slouch).

Please let me know your impressions after riding a bit, I just got a Pathfinder Pro on my rear wheel and it has been really nice for my local gravel so far. From what I hear these tires can last thousands of miles, so it might be a while before I get an s-works version, but the weight savings is a nice feature. I wonder how the durability compares?

Dave
Old 04-07-22, 03:50 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
New brake pads. Not that exciting of a purchase, per se, but man the improved feel at the levers sure is nice.
Old 04-07-22, 07:33 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
I finally relented and scooped up a Varia radar. I’d been thinking that I’m so well habituated to keeping right and head-checking before moving out into the lane, that the radar was really of no benefit to me. However, the chorus of praise for the thing became too much to ignore, and I wondered was I missing something, so now we’ll see.

Riding down to the LBS to buy it, and on the ride home, I kept noticing situations where the radar system might be handy. Spring is the time I do the most solo riding, so this is a pefect time for me to evaluate whether Varia is as good for me in practice as it seems to be in principle.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-07-22, 08:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I finally relented and scooped up a Varia radar. I’d been thinking that I’m so well habituated to keeping right and head-checking before moving out into the lane, that the radar was really of no benefit to me. However, the chorus of praise for the thing became too much to ignore, and I wondered was I missing something, so now we’ll see.

Riding down to the LBS to buy it, and on the ride home, I kept noticing situations where the radar system might be handy. Spring is the time I do the most solo riding, so this is a pefect time for me to evaluate whether Varia is as good for me in practice as it seems to be in principle.
I find it most useful on gravel. I can pick my line and move to the right as a car approaches from the rear. I no longer have to periodically look back and I never hold a car up. It helps share the road in an efficient and polite way.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-07-22, 08:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
I have had (Varia radar) one since 2015 or whenever they came out with v. 1. I leave it on when I am on gravel, even though there are no cars. It alerts me if someone is coming up really fast behind me (often an e-bike). But on-road, I find it absolutely indispensable. I find it really removes the element of surprise, which is the root of many bike/car conflicts. My left index finger is nearly atrophying now.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-08-22, 12:11 AM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
new cassette

Finally put my new 12-40 cassette on. Other than adding a Wolftooth B screw it went on without a hitch. The GRX RD needed no adjustments other than 5 turns on the B screw.

12-40 cassette
Q

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 04-08-22, 06:24 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Please let me know your impressions after riding a bit, I just got a Pathfinder Pro on my rear wheel and it has been really nice for my local gravel so far. From what I hear these tires can last thousands of miles, so it might be a while before I get an s-works version, but the weight savings is a nice feature. I wonder how the durability compares?

Dave
Will do, I'll be hitting up some real gravel next week, so I'll have a better idea of how they hold up on rougher terrain. My 38mm Pros are lasting forever, they still have plenty of life in them, but I took them off to try out the S-Works lol If the S-Works last even half as long, they'll be great.
Old 04-08-22, 03:59 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Will do, I'll be hitting up some real gravel next week, so I'll have a better idea of how they hold up on rougher terrain. My 38mm Pros are lasting forever, they still have plenty of life in them, but I took them off to try out the S-Works lol If the S-Works last even half as long, they'll be great.
I've heard of people getting 6-7k miles on the Pros. This is a serious tire, never had one last that long.

Last edited by bonsai171; 04-08-22 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-08-22, 05:38 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
.... just got a Pathfinder Pro on my rear wheel and it has been really nice for my local gravel so far. From what I hear these tires can last thousands of miles, so it might be a while before I get an s-works version, but the weight savings is a nice feature. I wonder how the durability compares?

Dave
Can confirm that the pro version last a LONG time. I have ~4K miles on a rear that looks like it still has thousands left with no degradation, no punctures, no issues. By 2.5-3K miles a rear Gravel King SK be absolutely trashed on the same setup. I bought 4x last year and they come out with this faster version!
Old 04-14-22, 09:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Wanting some, uh, “enhanced girth” on the flats, I just swapped out my Easton EA70 AX for a Zipp Service Course 70 XPLOR handlebar. I also wanted to reduce the reach to the hoods, and the Zipp seems to fit the bill perfectly

The round Easton tapers from the clamp and has felt too skinny across the top from the get-go, particularly at the bends into the ramps. The Zipp bar has flattened, aero profile tops, and they feel much more substantial in hand.

I also felt the Easton was oddly wide, but it measured to spec at 44cm c-to-c. I almost went to 42cm on the Zipp, but stuck with the 44cm and somehow it feels more compact. Maybe it’s an optical illusion caused by the width of the tops. Dunno.

Equally odd, despite Easton claiming 290g for the 42cm version and Zipp 260g for their 42mm bar, both of my 44cm samples weighed in exactly the same at 294g! Oh well!

I’ve only made a brief shakedown ride in the ‘hood, but the Zipp XPLOR seems to have fixed my gripes!

Old 04-15-22, 04:21 AM
bonsai171

That stem looks like nice quality, what stem is it?

Dave
Old 04-15-22, 09:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

That stem looks like nice quality, what stem is it?

Dave
You talkin’ to me?

The purple stem is a Paul Boxcar:
https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...t/boxcar-stem/
Old 04-15-22, 09:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
A 100mm stem is 181g? Do they inject it with lead?
Looks cool though.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-17-22, 01:11 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

I know it’s cheapish, Chinese, and mostly aluminum but look at that machine work
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 04-17-22, 02:08 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts

I know it’s cheapish, Chinese, and mostly aluminum but look at that machine work
I use the same lightweight Chinese cassettes on my carbon road bike. The weight savings is quite good and I picked up a spare once the first one wears out. For about $40 USD they're quite a bargain!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 04-17-22, 02:17 PM
jonathanf2

I've decided to revisit big cassettes while running GRX400 2x 46:30t 10spd. I originally was running a heavy Deore 11-42t with GoatLink, but I felt the weight and shifting performance wasn't worth the low gearing and went back to an in-spec 11-36t cassette. Fast forward this week and I finally came across a now rare Sunrace 11-40t 10 speed cassette CSMX3 in black (the color I wanted). I ordered it and just installed it. I had to use a Goatlink to make it work, but so far shifts seem crisp and the gaps between gears are well spaced. Also it clears big/big just in case I accidentally shift there which I hopefully don't! Weight-wise it actually felt either the same or slightly lighter than my all steel Shimano 11-36t HG-50 cassette I was using. Looking at listed weight specs, they are only within a few grams of each other.

Doing the math, my low gear ratio of .75 is about the same as a 1x with a 38t + 11-51t or a 42t + 11:56t, while still having the high gear of 46:11t in the big ring!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 04-17-22 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-17-22, 02:23 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I use the same lightweight Chinese cassettes on my carbon road bike. The weight savings is quite good and I picked up a spare once the first one wears out. For about $40 USD they're quite a bargain!
That one was $80ish. I really don't know how much is weighs but by hand it feels Ultegra but I don't have a scale to know for sure. I saw the back side of cassette and well it's 36t so I impulse bought it, now that it's in my hand I really can't get enough of the machining.
Old 04-17-22, 02:41 PM
jonathanf2

That one was $80ish. I really don't know how much is weighs but by hand it feels Ultegra but I don't have a scale to know for sure. I saw the back side of cassette and well it's 36t so I impulse bought it, now that it's in my hand I really can't get enough of the machining.
I bought mine from AliExpress and there are multiple sellers whom on occasion run sales with reduced prices. Shipping took less than two weeks to the USA. On my current lightweight cassette, I'm starting to see slight cosmetic wear on the big cogs due to being alloy, but nothing major that would affect performance. The smaller cogs are steel and fare a bit better. Though for the price and weight savings (if bought direct overseas) I think they're great!
Old 04-18-22, 11:27 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I've decided to revisit big cassettes while running GRX400 2x 46:30t 10spd. I originally was running a heavy Deore 11-42t with GoatLink, but I felt the weight and shifting performance wasn't worth the low gearing and went back to an in-spec 11-36t cassette. Fast forward this week and I finally came across a now rare Sunrace 11-40t 10 speed cassette CSMX3 in black (the color I wanted). I ordered it and just installed it. I had to use a Goatlink to make it work, but so far shifts seem crisp and the gaps between gears are well spaced. Also it clears big/big just in case I accidentally shift there which I hopefully don't! Weight-wise it actually felt either the same or slightly lighter than my all steel Shimano 11-36t HG-50 cassette I was using. Looking at listed weight specs, they are only within a few grams of each other.

Doing the math, my low gear ratio of .75 is about the same as a 1x with a 38t + 11-51t or a 42t + 11:56t, while still having the high gear of 46:11t in the big ring!

Is that a crack forming?

Old 04-18-22, 11:38 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Got it on with a new chain, it shifts ok.
Old 04-18-22, 05:28 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Is that a crack forming?

I just double checked, it's just where the seat stay is welded to the drop out. In-person, it's actually a smooth weld. I think the angle makes it look like a crack!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 04-25-22, 07:10 AM
samr1953

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'll have to look into this. I didn't realize how much I have relied on my ears until a couple electric cars surprised me.
Likes For samr1953:
Old 04-25-22, 07:37 AM
bozzopi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kindernay XIV gear hub

It is a little bit more price vise, but it works great and almost no maintenance.
Old 04-26-22, 09:01 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
ooooh!
I like those...
I need a URL for the company/where to see or buy some ! They may have some gear ranges I'm having a hard time getting these days...
Ride On
Yuri

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.