Old 09-26-19, 06:32 AM
SaintArnoldBike
Bikes and beers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott P
They probably lose a bunch of Houston riders that looked forward to a fun Sunday evening in Austin.
They may lose some but those people were probably looking for an excuse to bail out anyway. Honestly believe finishing in College Station with a warm welcome, instead of a lackluster one in COTA, will end up with a net positive. May not happen this year but if it's successful, word of mouth alone will drive up the numbers going forward.
Old 09-26-19, 07:30 AM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintArnoldBike
They may lose some but those people were probably looking for an excuse to bail out anyway. Honestly believe finishing in College Station with a warm welcome, instead of a lackluster one in COTA, will end up with a net positive. May not happen this year but if it's successful, word of mouth alone will drive up the numbers going forward.
I agree completely and think the "people who bail because it doesn't end in Austin" will probably be offset by Aggies who are excited to finish at Kyle Field. The real delta to me is still the loss of the ride through the park for the Houston folks. Given how many people skip the park though I'm betting it doesn't result in a loss of numbers. I'm actually considering starting in Austin instead of Houston just so I can ride it.
Old 10-02-19, 07:37 AM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Here are the Day Two routes from La Grange to College Station. The routes are split at the start for about the first 20 miles. This is done to help spread the riders out. Putting all 8000+ riders on the same road at once would not be a good idea. Spacing the waves far enough apart to keep it safe would take way too long, so there will be two routes at the beginning. The Day Two routes come together at Carmine.

West Route

East Route
Old 10-03-19, 05:37 AM
SaintArnoldBike
Bikes and beers

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
I agree completely and think the "people who bail because it doesn't end in Austin" will probably be offset by Aggies who are excited to finish at Kyle Field. The real delta to me is still the loss of the ride through the park for the Houston folks. Given how many people skip the park though I'm betting it doesn't result in a loss of numbers. I'm actually considering starting in Austin instead of Houston just so I can ride it.
In hindsight, grateful I did the park for the last two years (though sucked at the time). Back when the park was open and we finished in downtown, made the overall experience of Day 2 extra special but last couple years were... anticlimactic(?). All things considered, think this is best case scenario for the ride going forward.
Old 10-31-19, 10:53 AM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
May 2/3 are in the middle of the college student's final exam.

it interesting that TAMU approved a major event during Final.
Nothing going on at Kyle Field that weekend. They will have up to 100,000 at a home football game. They will handle our 15,000 or so with one no trouble at at all!

Last edited by Tanstaafl; 10-31-19 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-16-19, 03:40 PM
SaintArnoldBike
Bikes and beers

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
May 2/3 are in the middle of the college student's final exam.

it interesting that TAMU approved a major event during Final.
The Aggie students, alumni, and family have an opportunity to show up ATX. Do you think the majority will be cramming for finals or looking for an excuse to party?

EDIT: Woohoo! 10 posts and I can finally posts links!
Old 12-09-20, 10:18 AM
Scott P

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy 2, 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like the MS Society is doing all it can to make sure we get a ride this year. It's a one day ride with the usual cast of characters in starting points and ending at Kyle Field. No overnight stays to worry about and probably a fair bit of festivities. I do wonder how the corporate teams will participate with their group gathering regulations. Maybe by then, the numbers will be down enough to get a few thousand riders together safely. I will admit that any desire to train really went out the door without a target ride to shoot for. Hopefully this will get be back on the Peloton and Defy with some sort of regularity and intensity.
Old 12-09-20, 09:12 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
To be honest I forgot they usually roll out the dates and info in November or December. Haven’t even been thinking about it. Not sure if I’ll be doing it this year or not - will definitely depend on the status of Covid. But I think the idea of a single day ride is smart.
Old 05-11-21, 08:03 AM
Scott P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2021 MS150 being rained out seemed to be a disappointing but unsurprising finish. I know our little team shrank from 15 to 4 riders. I know I had a hard time getting pumped up for it. It was announced late and it was a one day ride. Sure, finishing at Kyle Field wound have been neat, but still, training rides are just as long and only one day. I fully understand the issues with the ride. COVID is still an issue and it's not easy to make a ride safe for a few thousand riders. Toss in a lack of training rides for these same reasons and a freeze that hurt a bunch of people and I can see why interest was down. Despite the miserable forecast, they tried their best to pull off the ride. They even re-routed the Katy and Waller routes after some roads were flooded after Friday's rain. I made the decision Friday night not to ride. My wife and kids (7 year old twins) were set to hang out in Navasota in case I needed a weather-related SAG if needed, but I just didn't want to risk it and try to outrun the storms. I woke up at 4:00 am, checked the radar for the ride area and saw a hug blob of yellow and red. I knew then the ride was going to be cancelled. The message came an hour later. That just sucked and I felt bad for everyone involved.

I ended up doing 79 miles (I start at Waller) between the Peloton and an outdoor finishing ride with the skies cleared. It wasn't the same, but I did put the mileage in. I stayed dry (at least from rain), did not fall or crash and didn't have to come back from College Station. The kids were disappointed though. Not disappointed in the ride being cancelled, but in the fact they didn't get to go to Buc-ee's. Poor things...
Old 05-12-21, 08:42 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott P
The 2021 MS150 being rained out seemed to be a disappointing but unsurprising finish. I know our little team shrank from 15 to 4 riders. I know I had a hard time getting pumped up for it. It was announced late and it was a one day ride. Sure, finishing at Kyle Field wound have been neat, but still, training rides are just as long and only one day. I fully understand the issues with the ride. COVID is still an issue and it's not easy to make a ride safe for a few thousand riders. Toss in a lack of training rides for these same reasons and a freeze that hurt a bunch of people and I can see why interest was down. Despite the miserable forecast, they tried their best to pull off the ride. They even re-routed the Katy and Waller routes after some roads were flooded after Friday's rain. I made the decision Friday night not to ride. My wife and kids (7 year old twins) were set to hang out in Navasota in case I needed a weather-related SAG if needed, but I just didn't want to risk it and try to outrun the storms. I woke up at 4:00 am, checked the radar for the ride area and saw a hug blob of yellow and red. I knew then the ride was going to be cancelled. The message came an hour later. That just sucked and I felt bad for everyone involved.

I ended up doing 79 miles (I start at Waller) between the Peloton and an outdoor finishing ride with the skies cleared. It wasn't the same, but I did put the mileage in. I stayed dry (at least from rain), did not fall or crash and didn't have to come back from College Station. The kids were disappointed though. Not disappointed in the ride being cancelled, but in the fact they didn't get to go to Buc-ee's. Poor things...
In retrospect maybe delaying the start would've worked?
Old 05-12-21, 01:01 PM
Scott P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
In retrospect maybe delaying the start would've worked?

I don't think so. That area got a ton of rain Friday overnight into Saturday morning. The weather radar had red and yellow spots along the route up until at least 10:00 am. If parts of the routes were already underwater after Friday, then even more would have been underwater Saturday. The rest stops were probably super wet too. Toss a few thousand riders and you have a mud hole. Sure, some hard core riders wouldn't mind, but the majority of riders are in it for fun. Plus, you need to consider the volunteers and staff. It just wasn't safe. A SAG team operating at 50% capacity due to social distancing was a factor too. The MS Society has had a pretty rough go of things since I started riding back in 2015.

2015 and 2016 were one day events due to massive rains (including the tax day floods in 2016)
2017 had a miserable day two with a 15-20 mph headwind the entire route. Plus, a two hour delay due to overnight storms that hit La Grange. Damn cold and wet start too.
2018 and 2019 were actually pretty good weather-wise. COTA was a hot mess though, especially trying to get out of there in 2018. The tram broke down and tired ass riders had to hike up a big hill just to sit in a car trying to get out of the parking lot.
2020 was, well, subject to 2020
2021 of course was cancelled.

Maybe 2022 can get things back to normal with actual training/t-shirt rides and a big two day event.
Old 05-13-21, 10:30 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Yeah I haven't ridden since 2018. I miss it, but it's just been a mess these last few years. Hoping it can be back to normal 2 days next year since I want to get back to doing it. I've done it 5 times already but I'd love to crack 10!
Old 01-13-22, 12:41 PM
SaintArnoldBike
Bikes and beers

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Dusting off this thread to say our team is nearly full and closing on Sunday (1/16). If you're looking for weekly training rides, a sweet jersey, accommodations in La Grange and College Station, lots of beer, and good times -> CLICK ME FOR MORE INFO

Cheers!
Likes For SaintArnoldBike:
Old 01-13-22, 06:14 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Sounds like a sweet deal! I’m signed up with Team Shell and looking forward to a proper MS150 this year!
Old 01-16-22, 06:45 PM
msd3075

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SaintArnoldBike
Dusting off this thread to say our team is nearly full and closing on Sunday (1/16). If you're looking for weekly training rides, a sweet jersey, accommodations in La Grange and College Station, lots of beer, and good times -> CLICK ME FOR MORE INFO

Cheers!
It's only really worth it if you can guarantee that at some point we'll have some Texas Wheat.
Likes For msd3075:
Old 01-20-22, 08:02 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I still didn't sign up this year - waiting until Covid is past us I think before returning. But man do I miss it!
Old 06-15-22, 05:24 PM
Prunesquallor

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 resto-modded to 1x11 townie, 1987 Bianchi Brava resto-modded to 1x11 fitness/events

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 17 Posts
That's it? No one making inputs? Here's mine:

My first MS150. Good ride. I left from Waller, so "only" had 80 miles the first day. A little light sprinkle in the morning, but got pretty hot in the afternoon (low 90's I think). Pretty hilly that afternoon, too. I didn’t do too many of the festivities at LaGrange. I snagged a motel and had a nice cool shower and hit the sheets pretty early. Sunday morning was a good start. Again a bit of rain and another hot, hilly afternoon. The finish at Kyle Field was a nice touch.

Great experience. Looking forward to next year.

Likes For Prunesquallor:
Old 06-18-22, 09:00 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Glad your first was a success!
We started from Waller for our first back in 2014 as well - didn't think we could do the 100 yet. But I've done it every time since. Though they keep changing the starting point lol. Weather is the biggest factor in whether or not the weekend sucks balls or not. Thankfully every year I've done it the weather has cooperated - except some wind sometimes.

I'm hoping to get back into it next year, because I'd love to see the new route to College Station and riding into the stadium seems like it'd be cool. It seemed a little anti-climactic though from a lot of the video I saw where there really wasn't anyone in the stands cheering. Should have moved all the people that lined the streets at the finish line in Austin to there!
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 06-19-22, 06:08 AM
Prunesquallor

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 resto-modded to 1x11 townie, 1987 Bianchi Brava resto-modded to 1x11 fitness/events

Sunday from LaGrange to College Station felt a lot like Saturday, fairly easy-going in the morning with some knarly hills in the afternoon. The last 20 miles or so flattened out a bit. Lunch was at the Somerville Lake park, so that was nice.
Likes For Prunesquallor:
Old 06-19-22, 11:22 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I will say you're missing out on the overnight at the fairgrounds. If you ride with a well supported team, its a great time. I usually skip all the festivities and just eat and relax and get a massage, but the vibes in the park are great. And I don't mind sleeping in the tents on an air mattress. Part of the fun.

But I definitely see the allure of a shower and a private comfy bed lol
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 04-20-23, 06:05 AM
1sp33d

Bikes: 2022 Cervelo Caledonia -- 2022 Surly Ghost Grappler

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 23 Posts
Bump! Anyone signed up for this year?
Old 04-20-23, 08:08 AM
Prunesquallor

Originally Posted by 1sp33d
Bump! Anyone signed up for this year?
Was waiting for 10-day weather forecasts to start coming in. Looks beautiful for Saturday around Brookshire and La Grange. High of 77°, no rain, mild wind. 👍

If that holds for Sunday, I'm in

Last edited by Prunesquallor; 04-20-23 at 08:13 AM.
Likes For Prunesquallor:
Old 04-22-23, 07:53 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

was going to originally but ended up not being able to. But I've hit a bunch of the t-shirt rides this season so far. Bluebonnet Express is tomorrow. Can't believe next week is the MS already!

Good luck to everyone who's riding! I am really hoping to next year. I miss it!
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 04-23-23, 07:36 AM
Prunesquallor

Originally Posted by the sci guy
was going to originally but ended up not being able to. But I've hit a bunch of the t-shirt rides this season so far. Bluebonnet Express is tomorrow. Can't believe next week is the MS already!

Good luck to everyone who's riding! I am really hoping to next year. I miss it!
The Houston MS150 prep rides this year have hit phenomenally good weather. I did Fort Bend I.S.D., Just Ride, Pedal the Prairie, Tour de Houston and RACHA and they were all beautiful days.
Old 04-23-23, 07:39 AM
Prunesquallor

Originally Posted by Prunesquallor
Was waiting for 10-day weather forecasts to start coming in. Looks beautiful for Saturday around Brookshire and La Grange. High of 77°, no rain, mild wind. 👍

If that holds for Sunday, I'm in
Sunday weather looks good for La Grange and College Station. I’m in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.