Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to install rear rack on bike without eyelets

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-11-22, 10:29 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts

Hi everyone. I’m in need of some advice. First, I know about P clamps. I don t want to add brazeons. In the pictures notice the absence of eyelets but the mountings for disk brakes. I already have a p clamp on one side. Should I use it for the rack strut or add another clamp? Is there a bracket I don t know about? THANKS

Old 07-11-22, 10:33 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
...I would fasten the rack legs through the same holes as the fender stays, using slightly longer bolts.
Old 07-11-22, 10:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
I’m in need of some advice.
We probably are in need of a question then.

Looks like you solved your issue. Or are you not happy with the solution?

Maybe get some red electrical tape and wrap around the p-clamp before re-installing it if you want to make it blend in more.

edit... oh! the question is in the title.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-11-22 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-11-22, 10:50 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have two suggestions. If you don't need to carry much load, a seat post rack might be a good option. If you need something that can carry more weight, judging by the photos you posted, I would probably go with a skewer (quick release) rack. I did this on a drop bar converted MTB for bike packing that did not have eyelets. I went with the Axiom Streamline DX. This rack also has the benefit of moving the panniers a bit rearward to avoid heel strike.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I had to purchase a longer skewer also.
Old 07-11-22, 12:07 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
The pictures and the "Minvelo" in your user listing make me think that this is a bike with 20" wheels. If so can you source a rack intended for that wheel size? Otherwise most racks I've seen are intended for bikes with 700c or 26" fat tires. So the stays are LONG. To fit the smaller bike and to fit to the disc brake mount you'd need to cut down and find a good way to bond the stays to suit the bike.

All in all it comes down to the idea that you might be better off to make your own rack. If I'm right and this is a bike with compact wheels I think a good size match would be to buy a rear rack and completely cut off the stays. They won't fit your bike's smaller wheels. Then make a new custom stay from some 1x1/8 anodized aluminium stock from Home Depot that is pop riveted to the rack and extends down to the P clip on the one side and the brake mount on the other. This will displace your fender mounts. But then you can drill a hole in the 1" wide new custom mount an inch or so above the old and attach the fender stays in that hole. Then bend and trim the ends to their new lengths.

Or do what I did when I was commuting in sloppy weather and secure the fender as normal at the bottom bracket cross stay and then just pop rivet or screw the fender to the rack at the top point. You might or might not need any rear stays from there. The rack serving to act as the fender stays.
Old 07-11-22, 12:19 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I would fasten the rack legs through the same holes as the fender stays, using slightly longer bolts.
Yeah, but you wouldn't have fastened the fender to a disc brake caliper ISO mount.
Old 07-11-22, 12:21 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Axiom (and probably others) make a rack that lets you use the quick release skewer to mount the rack at the bottom. Looks like you have the appropriate rack mounting holes at the top. Otherwise you can get a seat post clamp with additional rack mounting points.

Old 07-11-22, 12:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Axiom (and probably others) make a rack that lets you use the quick release skewer to mount the rack at the bottom. Looks like you have the appropriate rack mounting holes at the top. Otherwise you can get a seat post clamp with additional rack mounting points.

Take another look at the OP's drop outs.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-11-22, 12:30 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by dedhed
Take another look at the OP's drop outs.
It'll work.
Old 07-11-22, 05:25 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
It'll work.
It will take some doing. That funky lip around the dropout flat is pretty deep. In any case, anything that is supposed to be fixed on a bicycle should not want to bolt to a quick release! You will realize that the first time you need to pop that wheel free ...
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-12-22, 11:17 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
It looks like that Axiom rack's QR brackets extend horizontally rearward from the skewer, but I'm very certain the dropout design in question, with the pronounced flares, won't allow that. An examination of the last picture of subject bike illustrates nothing could extend rearward from the skewer area...at least not without filing the dropout, which is certainly an option. I do agree that it'll be difficult to find a frame-mounted rack designed to work with 20" wheels, but I'm sure they are out there. Personally, I think using the IS disc brake tab as the NDS mount and a suitable size P-clamp as the DS mount is quite an elegant solution for the fender, and this may be an option for the rack stays also. Your carrying capacity would be only as high as that DS P-clamp would endure.

The options as I think they've been presented in this thread, and probably in descending order of carrying capacity:
  • Use a QR skewer mount rack, to include any necessary filing of the dropout flares, acknowledging the potential maintenance/repair drawbacks to this solution.
  • Use a seat-post mounted rack (which generally do not support the use of panniers, though no such requirements were listed in the opening post).
  • Use the current fender mounts for the rack stays also, for either a store-bought or self-made rack.
I suppose a fourth option, if any of the above three aren't very tasty, is to find an alternate cargo mounting point on the bike, such as a front rack instead. I presume this is the bike (Google Images link). I see a picture of a bike with a rear seat post-mounted rack and one carrying front panniers. Those may be your two most realistic options, jfouellette .

Edit:

Ha -- I realize now that the pictured bike with the front rack is actually your bike: https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...ade-italy.html

You may not come up with a better solution than that.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 07-12-22 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-12-22, 07:16 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Update: Thanks everyone for taking time to offer advice. I think I have the solution. I found a Schwinn adjustable rear rack. As you suggested I used same eyelets as those holding the mudguard stays. It look like this will work.

Likes For jfouellette:
Old 07-12-22, 11:44 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Lucky you! I've never seen a rack with adjustable stays. It's the perfect solution for your situation. Enjoy!
Old 07-13-22, 04:59 AM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
My son got one of these for his 1995 Cannondale road bike: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-13-22, 10:59 AM
jfouellette

Hi everyone, refering to the previous pictures of my bicycle, I have a new question: How would I get an internal gear hub (Shimano Alfine 8)installed on this bike with vertical drop outs? Modular horizontal dropouts? Welding is not an option. Thanks
Old 08-13-22, 10:08 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
Hi everyone, refering to the previous pictures of my bicycle, I have a new question: How would I get an internal gear hub (Shimano Alfine 8)installed on this bike with vertical drop outs? Modular horizontal dropouts? Welding is not an option. Thanks
Have a look at a single speed chain tensioners.