Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Old Man's Silly Bike Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 05:59 PM
muddlehead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride flat easy creek trails - 10 miles - once a week. Takes about an hour. I'm 6ft3in. Love bigger than ordinary bikes. My current bike, don't laugh, is a Schwinn Voyageur 2 XXL with one of those wide comfort seats. I only use the 2nd gear - middle of the three on the left handlebar. So, I'm using, and very happily, 7 gears only. Love the bike. Except for one thing which is making me crazy. The brakes never work right. Had them repaired twice in the past year. Still don't do what they're supposed to. I disconnected the rear brake last month and just use the front brake. Like I said my weekly ride is flat so just the front brake is cool.
Here's the question. I've been thinking of buying a Cannondale Quick XXL for a while. Give or take $800, Plus, I assume, cost to replace its skinny seat with a comfort seat, If you were me would you make the purchase/switch to the Cannondale?
Old 07-13-22, 06:28 PM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Since you love the Schwinn, I'd get the brakes fixed right. Maybe the shifter too. You could probably fix them yourself using this forum and YouTube. And then I'd probably get another bike soon after.
Likes For Oakman:
Old 07-13-22, 07:02 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
either ; fix/replace the schwinn brakes (all the related parts as well) - knowing that the best working of the brakes relies heavily on the condition of the wheels
or - buy the other bike
if the brakes' are not working to your satisfaction - using only one of them doesn't really make sense, especially if you find a need for them to work really well at some future time.
you also asked ... if I were you, I'd be riding much more than once a week...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-13-22, 07:04 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,784 Posts
The Cannondale Quick is a better bike.

Take one for a test ride, I’m guessing you’ll like it better.

Old 07-13-22, 08:03 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
If it were me I'd try some kool stop brake pads and new cables and housing first to see if the brakes sort out. Seems like what you need might be a some advice at a good shop or bike co-op or a buddy who's got the interest in getting your schwinn set up so that it works right for you.
Likes For nick_a:
Old 07-13-22, 08:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
From what I can tell, the Voyager II should have V-brakes.

In my experience working on all level of bikes at the co-op, the V-brake design is the best design for low cost brakes. While cheapo stamped-steel sidepulls are utterly worthless and unservicable, cheapo v-brakes may be heavy and ugly but they STOP the bike. They can be disassembled and cleaned and lubed, balanced left/right with screws, and adjusted to be close to the rim. While older Schwinns had slippery chrome rims, I'm pretty sure this bike will have an alloy rim with a decent brake track. Cables/housings are easily replaced. Disconnecting the rear brake is a weird response to poor braking; was this done due to an out-of-true wheel, or were the brakes sticking? In either case, that's fixable.

As you whether you should buy a new bike, the answer is a resounding yes. Always buy a new bikes. But not because of shoddy brakes, rather because new bikes are new fun.

If you want to keep your current bike, find a co-op, a good mechanic, or if you're mechanically minded then watch some youtube videos. Otherwise, buy the new bike (which will soon become an old bike that needs maintenance).
Old 07-14-22, 02:41 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
If you like the bike, no need to replace it. I vote for spending a little money on tools & parts to fix the brakes yourself. What shouldn't take long at home becomes a costly ordeal if you have to take it to a bike shop.

If it's made so cheaply that it's falling apart (is it a 'bike shop' Schwinn or a 'big box' Schwinn?), that's one reason to get another bike. I can see another reason: The upright posture discourages you from putting as much effort into pedaling, as you would if your position on the bike had you leaning forward some. Bike racers are bent over the bars not just for aerodynamics but because their bodies leaned over become fulcrums for the torque applied to the pedals. I find that relatively small differences in the position of pedals vs saddle vs handlebars make big differences in how hard & fast I want to pedal.
Old 07-14-22, 05:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'm thinking from your post that you feel like you've done as much as you're willing to do on the rear bike. Because of your size, a good fit is hard to find, so try the Cannondale on a test ride and buy it if it fits.
Old 07-14-22, 06:22 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
Please tell or show us what kind of brakes the bike has. If it's old enough to have cantilever brakes and they haven't been maintained right over the years, the straddle cable is probably way out of adjustment and braking torque can almost disappear. They can be pretty difficult to set up correctly but once they are, they're fine.
Old 07-14-22, 06:35 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
V brakes are incredibly simple and easy to work on. A mechanic who fails that test is no mechanic. New cables, casings, pads could be purchased but that is not the problem.

The only reason to buy a new bike is you really want a new bike and found one that you just have to have.
Old 07-14-22, 06:53 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Or that everyone in society is unhappy and totally incompetent at their trade.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 07-14-22, 07:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
V brakes are incredibly simple and easy to work on. A mechanic who fails that test is no mechanic. New cables, casings, pads could be purchased but that is not the problem.

The only reason to buy a new bike is you really want a new bike and found one that you just have to have.

I suspect that OP is probably a bit big for the existing brakes so whatever service is done has limited (in duration) effectiveness. It's probably a matter of getting beefier brakes rather than servicing the existing ones.

But, yeah, if OP wants a new bike, who are we to suggest otherwise?
Old 07-14-22, 08:07 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
A new bike will probably be lighter and have modern amenities like a threadless stem, indexed shifting, disk brakes, etc. Does the old bike even have water bottle mounts? My old bikes never did.... Anyway, a flashy and fast new bike just might make him want to ride more and for longer distances.
Old 07-14-22, 08:52 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by muddlehead
Plus, I assume, cost to replace its skinny seat with a comfort seat
Why purchase a new seat? Why don't you just transfer over the seat you already have and like?

Last edited by smd4; 07-14-22 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-14-22, 09:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Definitely try riding the Cannondale. The fit will probably be different as I imagine the bars on your Schwinn are several inches above the saddle where the Quick will probably be just about level with the saddle (based on manufacturers' pictures of both of them online).

Changing the relationship between the bars and the saddle will change your position on the bike and how you sit on/in the saddle. You're probably sitting fairly upright now (which is why you like the cushy, padded saddle), while the lower bars and more aggressive stance of the Quick will have you riding leaning more forward. That will likely change the type of saddle you prefer (leaning forward like that has you putting more weight on your legs (they will also be acting as your suspension) and less on your "sitz bones" and will cause a padded saddle to push more up into your perineum (causing the dreaded "numb genitals").

You might like the different relationship of bars to saddle or you may hate it. But try it and find that out. It'll at least make you stop wondering "what if" and potentially change what you're looking for.
Old 07-14-22, 09:46 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
A new bike will probably be lighter and have modern amenities like a threadless stem, indexed shifting, disk brakes, etc. Does the old bike even have water bottle mounts? My old bikes never did
This is the Schwinn Voyager 2 21-speed. A very different beast from the highly regarded (by some) sports tourer from the 80's (and earlier), so it does have indexed shifting and water bottle mounts, but no disk brakes or threadless stem.

I have one of the old sports tourers in my queue to build into a touring/commuting bike if I ever get around to it (and can find an excuse for my wife about why I need another bike - frames and all the parts, she doesn't seem to notice as much as another bike parked in the garage).
Old 07-14-22, 09:59 AM
muddlehead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much everyone for the replies.

I went to take a couple of pics of the bike as a whole and the brakes.

I see @himespau (thanks for the pic) beat me to it - and I can't figure out how to upload the pics on here anyway.

I guess the question I'm poorly asking is this.

Is the Cannondale Quick a better enough bike to make me want to ditch the above pictured Schwinn in favor of?
Old 07-14-22, 10:04 AM
himespau 

To be able to post pictures, you need to have made at least 10 posts.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-14-22, 10:05 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by muddlehead
Is the Cannondale Quick a better enough bike to make me want to ditch the above pictured Schwinn in favor of?
You'll certainly appreciate the stopping power of the disc brakes...
Old 07-14-22, 10:06 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts

Brakes? Who needs Brakes?

https://youtu.be/VqomZQMZQCQ
Old 07-14-22, 10:17 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You'll certainly appreciate the stopping power of the disc brakes...
...although if adjusting linear brakes is beyond his skillset, adjusting mechanical discs will be, too.

I agree, the logical response to brakes not working correctly is NOT normally to disconnect one of them. I suspect that was done because the rear wheel is out of true and the brake was rubbing. If the rear wheel has been trued a few times and it still has too much run-out, it might be time for a new wheel.
Old 07-14-22, 10:21 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
although if adjusting linear brakes is beyond his skillset, adjusting mechanical discs will be, too.
That's what the bike shop he buys it from will be for. He said he had his old brakes "repaired, " which sounds like he isn't doing the work himself anyway.
Old 07-14-22, 10:53 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
You are somewhat in no man's land "if you need new wheels" because the rear wheel can't be trued sufficiently and you need a stronger wheel. Only a bike shop can tell you what has to be done. But if you are looking at a few hundred dollars to replace/fix what is needed, then looking at a new bike might be a better way to go.

If there is a concern that weight is an issue with the wheels, that will need to be considered in whatever you decide. If you go to the Cannondale, you can transfer your saddle and get an adjustable stem if that is what you want. The Cannondale has trigger shifters and not twist. If you do little shifting that is probably not going to be a problem. You can swap them out for twist, but then again you are adding cost on top of the cost of a new bike.

The final piece comes down to whether you want to move on from the Schwinn of not. If you don't want to, just fix it and ride it. If you want a new bike, go that route.

I would guess a high number of people don't replace a bike based on need.

John
Old 07-14-22, 11:03 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
+1 with nick a; there's no reason why you can't make linear brakes very effective with Kool Stop pads and careful setup. Then as others have mentioned, start riding at least every other day.
Old 07-14-22, 11:09 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Here's another "Old Man's Silly Question"... What are you saving the money for, if not for something that you so clearly enjoy? Your estate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.