Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

extreme heat danger cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

extreme heat danger cycling

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 10:54 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
where are you?
Well, I will give you a hint....
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 06-08-22, 06:57 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Here we are in the first week of June and I can see that my riding days for this summer are numbered. I just checked the local forecast and temps all week are going to be well into the 100s (something like 40C?), and probably won't be below 100 through August. Anyway, I can ride early in the morning if I want but it's amazing how fast it gets hot in the desert. The overnight low might be down into the 70s but by 9am it can already be 90* or better. It will probably stay this way until late September. I love it out here about nine months a year. But the 3-4 months of summer are absolutely brutal.
I cycle and hike all winter in southern Arizona. The hikers I know that continue outdoor activities during the summer switch to biking, citing the cooling effects of the self-generated breeze. But there are limits even for the desert rats and crazy people, and I'm sure you reach them more often down there in Vegas.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 06-08-22, 04:11 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I cycle and hike all winter in southern Arizona. The hikers I know that continue outdoor activities during the summer switch to biking, citing the cooling effects of the self-generated breeze. But there are limits even for the desert rats and crazy people, and I'm sure you reach them more often down there in Vegas.
Indeed. I did ride this morning and it wasn't bad, even if the temp was pushing 90* by the time I finished at 11am. But in about a month pretty much all the way through August, even overnight temps will often stay well into the 80s. That will be the really hard part of keeping my routine. In the summers, I tend to dial back the intensity and increase the duration, but hydration is always a factor. As someone above noted, by the time you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Very easy to do out here.
Old 06-08-22, 05:01 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I have experienced two episodes of heat exhaustion.
The first was as a young man playing pickup outside basketball games for a few hours in about 90F heat without proper hydration.
I could not keep water down, collapsed from hypotension, and required an ER visit and received four IV bags before I could urinate and be discharged.

I did not learn my lesson and had my second episode at 57 y/o last year while on a 60 mile 7K gain bike ride in about 90F heat and moderate humidity.
I lost my power on the last 2 mile climb and pushed on to the top. My pulse was racing, and I ran out of water at the bottom of the climb.
When I tried to clip-out near a drinking fountain, my leg spasmed and I fell onto my side onto some ivy and fainted.

I came to fairly quick but now both legs went into a full spasm. I finally kicked out of my SPD's and was able to right myself and wobble over to the fountain and drank about a quart and showered myself with cool water for several minutes in the shade. This time I was able to keep the water down and ate some fig newtons. So after about 30 minutes, and finding a gear I could use because I now had a bent dr hanger, I limped home another five miles.

Since then, I error on the side of caution and will take up to four bottles with me on harder routes if I cannot guarantee myself cool water stops along the way and some shade. I like riding where I know I will have some tree canopies. Finally, I do not want to start a ride knowing it will finish above 90F. I will start at dawn and shorten the ride to keep within my acceptable range.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-09-22, 08:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
from Ready.gov

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-09-22, 08:30 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
from Ready.gov
Good advice. One thing I learned in first aid training was with heat exhaustion or heat stroke NEVER put someone in an ice bath. The cold will close off the capillaries, causing the body to hold onto the heat, causing all manner of havoc. Only tepid to cool water.

Which reminds me, it's well past time to renew my training. Stoopid plague.
Old 07-21-22, 11:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I've been fortunate so far this year. partly due to family matters keeping me off the bikes. today would be a great day to try a ride, but close to water. here's hoping a bunch of yoos are out there, riding & swimming!
Old 07-24-22, 10:06 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
A hot one today for sure ‘round here.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 07-24-22, 10:41 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Probably around 10 years ago I rode my second century ... the temperature by the end was well into the 90s with pretty high humidity. Combine that with my own inexperience on hydration for long rides in the heat, I felt really, really bad by around the 80 mile mark. I finished but I NEVER want to feel that way again. I'm pretty conscious now (at just shy of 69) about pushing myself too much in the heat. During this most recent heat wave, I got out a couple days on Thursday and Saturday by 7:00 AM and did a couple of 40/45 mile rides so I could be done by 10:15 while the heat hadn't gotten too bad.
Likes For dennis336:
Old 07-24-22, 11:06 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Heat wave going on. I got out for a 20 mile ride at 10am and temp in the 80's. Took my touring bike because it has 3 water bottle holders. Used 2 of the bottles.
Old 07-24-22, 12:49 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I guess there are not a lot of experienced high heat riders where I live.

I started riding in the heat at least 50 years ago. Got pretty tired, but I listen to my body when it complains. I slow down when needed. Yesterday afternoon it was about 98F when I stopped for an ice-cold strawberry milk shake in the shade. When I left the house, about noon it was well over 100. when I got home about 6:00 it was still 93f in the shade.

I know it's hot but WTF .... | Flickr
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 07-24-22, 02:25 PM
rumrunn6

had to work my gig job in lumber & building materials. for 4 hours was moving palettes & concrete by hand outside, inside, back & forth, cutting plywood, driving the forklifts. was glad to get out & shower up. gonna hit the pool in a minute too!

& guess what I thought of. this thread
Old 07-24-22, 08:11 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
had to work my gig job in lumber & building materials. for 4 hours was moving palettes & concrete by hand outside, inside, back & forth, cutting plywood, driving the forklifts. was glad to get out & shower up. gonna hit the pool in a minute too!

& guess what I thought of. this thread
You win. Worse than my ride.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 07-25-22, 06:54 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I've not yet been "on the brink" due to heat while riding, but I have felt drained. I try to take it easier on hot rides, and treat them as active recovery or, at the most, aerobic rides.
I tend to drink (and sweat) a lot on the bike, but the worst I've ever felt was due more to hot feet. Feet are close to the pavement, and don't get as much evaporative cooling, and they can swell, so if you don't pay attention and loosen your shoes when necessary, you can get pretty bad hot spots, or cramps.
The only time I've suffered from dehydration was actually in the winter. I was xc skiing, fresh powder, breaking trail the whole way (I was solo), and I hadn't brought enough to drink I wasn't sweating much, most of the fluid loss was probably occurring during breathing, but I was staggering by the time I got back to my car.
Old 07-26-22, 05:33 PM
onekgguy
Retired

Bikes: Collage Super, Eisentraut Ltd, Sarma Shaman (fatty), Giant Revolt Advanced 0 (gravel), Orbea Oiz M20 (mtb)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts
I don't tend to have an issue with being all that far from the shelter of a convenience store when I'm out on longish road rides here where I live south of Minneapolis. Gravel rides can be another matter. In that case, I'm careful to not allow myself to get in over my head, always taking enough water and food along for an extended stay away from civilization. My lean body frame tends to keep me from overheating too badly although it's still a consideration.

Kevin g