Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My commute is going to get l longer. Should I try to hitch a ride home?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-22, 12:10 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts

My current commute is 9 mi one way. 350 ft of climbing to 450 ft return. Avg time 37 min and 42 min. My new commute which I've done once is 16.5 mi 900 ft to/1200 ft return. 65 min and 80 min. That 1st time ride home was a bear for me after a 10 hr shift. I probably can adapt to it, but seems like a lot. I could bike to work and try to leech a ride home from a co-worker. I'd probably pay $15 per trip to make it worth their time . Is that a fair price? I'm kindaish on their way home. Or am I being weak and just suck it up?
Old 09-10-22, 01:13 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
A couple of other thoughts. I you have a car, drive part of the way and bike the rest. I expect that will be less expensive.

The other thought is an e bike. Still an effort but it will be easier.
Likes For debade:
Old 09-10-22, 01:17 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
My commute was 27 each way. Most times I could leave my car at work, bike home, then bike back in next day. Or I would park and ride as a round trip, parking 18 miles from work. I wasn't doing this 5 days per week and only days when I was at my desk all day. 2-3 days per week was manageable.
Old 09-12-22, 07:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My commute was 27 each way. Most times I could leave my car at work, bike home, then bike back in next day.
This "half a commute" approach has worked well for me when adjusting to a longer commute.

$15 a day for a lift? Are you made of money?? I'd save that for the day my car was at home and the thunderstorms (that are expected to last all night) came in early.
Old 09-12-22, 08:30 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
My current commute is 9 mi one way. 350 ft of climbing to 450 ft return. Avg time 37 min and 42 min. My new commute which I've done once is 16.5 mi 900 ft to/1200 ft return. 65 min and 80 min. That 1st time ride home was a bear for me after a 10 hr shift. I probably can adapt to it, but seems like a lot. I could bike to work and try to leech a ride home from a co-worker. I'd probably pay $15 per trip to make it worth their time . Is that a fair price? I'm kindaish on their way home. Or am I being weak and just suck it up?
Your new commute is definitely too short. You need twice as much time on the saddle to fully enjoy bike commuting !
Old 09-12-22, 01:22 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
This "half a commute" approach has worked well for me when adjusting to a longer commute.

$15 a day for a lift? Are you made of money?? I'd save that for the day my car was at home and the thunderstorms (that are expected to last all night) came in early.
For me and my bike, if I took an uber, it'd be 40 buck plus tip.
Old 09-12-22, 02:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The "half commute" idea works great if you don't have to do anything at home. If you have to put a kid on a bus at 7:30am or walk a dog whose back teeth are floating by 6pm...

For me I'd ask myself what is the point of my commuting and if I can still get it, even if some other way. When I had a dog in an apartment I didn't ride much because I knew I was taking an hour walk when I got home.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-12-22 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 06:59 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
$15/trip adds up quick I'd say suck it up and ride on. My bike commute is 14 mil each day and I'm out there rain, snow, sleet, hail (even when a tornado was in the distance) on workdays. On the weekends, I usually "take it easy" depending on the weather, mood and time I hop on the saddle.