Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you help ID these pedals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-22, 06:06 PM
2ndtimeAround

Bikes: Hardtail MTB , Citi-Bike , Electra coaster, Schwinn coaster brake and 2 road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

I bought these pedals oh maybe mid early 90's for my wife's MTB , a specialized stump jumper ( no comments on that please!)

Anyways , I gave away my last MTB , the Ti bike. Looks like I kept the shoes Specialized .Gotta be 30 years old. Easlly
. They needed a little repair ( contact cement), but are working out fantastic for the hybrid on street and dirt .

So a double sided pedal , step in. Adjustable release , and dual release . Can rotate ankle either left or right to disengage .

For a clue if helps , takes the Shimano SM SH-51 cleat . Found pair on amazon for $4.00.
I can almost see a brand name . Almost . Soon I can post pics , should be at 10 posts by now.

Thanks for looking .
Old 09-21-22, 06:14 PM
2ndtimeAround

Bikes: Hardtail MTB , Citi-Bike , Electra coaster, Schwinn coaster brake and 2 road bikes

Ok the pics ...

Last edited by 2ndtimeAround; 09-21-22 at 06:15 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 09-21-22, 06:19 PM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Nashbar spd copies.
Likes For onsay99:
Old 09-21-22, 06:26 PM
2ndtimeAround

Wow fast ! No one has even responded on the "other" forum . I tried the regular SPD cleat on that poor shoe . Did not work or fit at all. Actually SPD cleat got stuck in pedal .
At first I though the SM SH51 cleat had Zero float. But the reality , the machine ( milling) marks on the surface were not allowing the float.

Now is broke -in (excuse the pun) and polished up from riding it does have some float , working real nice. I had actually ordered Shimano SPD pedals , but the cleats for these came first and worked great so the Shimano SPD pedals went back saved $45.00 to spend toward other parts.

Last edited by 2ndtimeAround; 09-21-22 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-21-22, 09:45 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
It says 'Nashbar' right on the pedal...
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-21-22, 09:52 PM
2ndtimeAround

Had not heard that word in decades. Can not see well enough to read that on the pedal . You are sure lucky to see that well .
Spent some time guessing what the letters were (whats left of em) Though might be "grabber" ect .

Boosted my pride , knowing they are not copycats . Thank you much to point that out!
Old 09-21-22, 10:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Probably made by Wellgo and rebadged for Nashbar.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-22-22, 01:47 AM
2ndtimeAround

Wellgo pedal in link does not appear to have a split rear where the cleat engages & looks that the SM- SH51 cleat would not fit it.

Old 09-22-22, 04:39 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
They are Wellgo 801 pedals. They were sold as various other brands. They switched from that split plate, because they were prone to breaking. https://en.wellgopedal.com/products_detail_5_429.htm
Likes For dsaul:
Old 09-22-22, 08:01 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by dsaul
They are Wellgo 801 pedals. They were sold as various other brands. They switched from that split plate, because they were prone to breaking. https://en.wellgopedal.com/products_detail_5_429.htm
Agreed. I had some of those pedals that were badged by Bontrager (I think) that broke on one side of the pedal. That was several years ago (late 90s?) and was when I shifted to Shimano, specially the M530. Probably still have the same pedals on one of my current bikes. I hate endorsing Shimano but, damn, they make some good stuff.

Here’s an MTBR link on the Wellgo 800 pedal. They look almost exactly like your pedals, 2ndtimearound.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-22-22 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-22-22, 09:49 AM
2ndtimeAround

Considering the issue with that pedal , may replace sometime soon. Could be ugly if that part breaks while climbing or sprinting. Once broke a crank arm by Lightning Rods , supposed to be billet. Not sure if magnesium or aluminum , but looked really odd where it broke.
They did replace it for me , they made really beautiful crank arms. Back when everything wasn't black anodized.

I'm a little ignorant on this , does the Shimano pedal release both directions of ankle rotation?
Old 09-22-22, 07:11 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by 2ndtimeAround
Considering the issue with that pedal , may replace sometime soon. Could be ugly if that part breaks while climbing or sprinting. Once broke a crank arm by Lightning Rods , supposed to be billet. Not sure if magnesium or aluminum , but looked really odd where it broke.
They did replace it for me , they made really beautiful crank arms. Back when everything wasn't black anodized.
Just to be clear, if the retension device on the pedal breaks, it’s not catastrophic in my experience. The cleat just becomes a bit wobbly and/or may not engage properly. (Caveat: It’s been a while so my memory might be fuzzy on the exact mode of breakage. But I didn’t crash because the pedal broke.)

I'm a little ignorant on this , does the Shimano pedal release both directions of ankle rotation?
The cleat is what determines the release. SH51 pedals are single release while the SH56 is multirelease. In practice, the SH51 can be forced to release in any direction (or may wear so that it will release that way) but the SH56 starts out being able to release in any direction.

Old 09-23-22, 06:06 PM
2ndtimeAround

Now I know what to expect if the retention device on pedal breaks.
Regarding the SM-SH 51 If not meant to realize in either direction , why the split rear of the pedal that moves aside.
I did think it was forcing at all , very light smooth equal pressure both sides when disengage when heel swung inward . It was just my users impression and watching the action of the cleat engage and disengage - assuming that it was dual release. I actually had no cleat when I put the pedals on . Had no idea until this thread whose make of pedal it was . By chance the internet search referred to "Shimano SM-SH51 SPD as Multi-Release Cleat and Cleat Nut Set" Found those for $4.00 and by Shimano .

Anyways yes the manufactures website does describe the pedal as single- release like you said . You are CORRECT !!
Thanks for your input on my pedals .
Old 09-23-22, 06:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndtimeAround
Yes. I have enough bionic crap in my ankle to restrict me to rotating my heal inward. Shimano SPDs all work fine that way, even though the official instructions say they don't.