Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mikado cyclotoureur- a vintage touring bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-22, 01:09 PM
yesterbik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

Hello,

I picked a Mikado cyclotoureur bike locally. It seems no one using it for years. It s time to have some fun cleaning it up, put some new grease in and get it ride again.
I guess this will be a basic, low-end bike?
I can see a few thing different with other bikes I have.
First, the down tube is bigger than normal, then rear wheel has more spokes, probably 48.

Here are some photos of the bike.
And hope to hear some thought from C&V bike owners/ lovers.
(I am sorry for the dusty photos, I will clean them up)

I took this photo after some cleaning. Handle bar tape needs to be replaced.

Frame number P4352144

Crank is Tourney XT

Direct mount rear derailleur Sachs Huret

Front/ rear hubs are SEALED SUZUE.
Rims 27" x 1 1/4" WEINMANN PATENT-Made in Belgium. Tires are Panaracer 27" X 1 3/8".

The fun is going on now.

Thank you all for reading.

Last edited by yesterbik; 09-24-22 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-24-22, 02:34 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
That is very interesting, and looks way nicer than basic. SP11 pedals are very nice. Quite interesting front fork mid mount braze-ons. Oversized downtube and spare spoke holder on chainstay. I will be interested to hear what the experts have to say.
Old 09-24-22, 02:52 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Very nice. I agree I think it a bit nicer than basic and probably in the class of Fuji Touring Series or Saratoga.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-24-22, 03:06 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
I'd like to see the brakes...really long pads. I also would like to see that bike with original racks, mudguards etc. Can you manage that for me?
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-24-22, 03:41 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Nice! Quebec brand...I had one once, but it was too small for me.
Old 09-24-22, 03:50 PM
yesterbik

Originally Posted by clubman
I'd like to see the brakes...really long pads. I also would like to see that bike with original racks, mudguards etc. Can you manage that for me?
Hi clubman, unfortunately the bike comes to me without any racks or mudguards.
Some photos of brakes :

Likes For yesterbik:
Old 09-24-22, 05:32 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
First mid fork mounts I've seen in this style. Those pedals are a bit coveted! Love them myself. It's definitely not low end. Full fledged tourers were almost always mid-high end. This one seems comfortably mid range to me.

https://guybouchard.wordpress.com/velosbikes/mikado/

https://www.zppays.ml/ProductDetail.aspx?iid=117375392&pr=65.88

Last edited by polymorphself; 09-24-22 at 05:41 PM.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 09-24-22, 06:08 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Besides the cantilever brakes, (and geometry, lol), a good touring bike would have braze-ons for racks, at the dropouts, near where the wheels mount. Two sets of bolt holes is best, for the racks plus fenders. 🙂

Pics of the whole fork, from the side, would help. That braze-on in your pic is in a strange place, and "different" from most, in the way it's attached. 🤔

Tange 900 is very decent, I think they went as high as 1000, in that naming convention. 🤔

The thing that catches my eye most, are the Tourney XT cranks. Very cool. 👍
Old 09-24-22, 06:17 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Ignore what I said about dual eyelets, lol, I didn't look close enough, at the rear derailleur pic. 😁😉
Old 09-24-22, 06:26 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Very nice. The half-step chainring combination might take a little getting used to, but many of us prefer that configuration to conventional Alpine or other gear setups. I love being able to maintain my preferred cadence and effort level on mildly undulating terrain by switching between the large and middle rings. If you develop a liking for that feature, you might even consider installing bar-end shifters to increase the convenience of shifting.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-24-22, 06:42 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Besides the cantilever brakes, (and geometry, lol), a good touring bike would have braze-ons for racks, at the dropouts, near where the wheels mount. Two sets of bolt holes is best, for the racks plus fenders. 🙂

Pics of the whole fork, from the side, would help. That braze-on in your pic is in a strange place, and "different" from most, in the way it's attached. 🤔

Tange 900 is very decent, I think they went as high as 1000, in that naming convention. 🤔

The thing that catches my eye most, are the Tourney XT cranks. Very cool. 👍
Tange 1000 is thicker than 900. 900 has similar dimensions to Tange Infinity.
Old 09-24-22, 07:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by sd5782
That is very interesting, and looks way nicer than basic. SP11 pedals are very nice. Quite interesting front fork mid mount braze-ons. Oversized downtube and spare spoke holder on chainstay. I will be interested to hear what the experts have to say.
Originally Posted by polymorphself
First mid fork mounts I've seen in this style. Those pedals are a bit coveted! Love them myself. It's definitely not low end. Full fledged tourers were almost always mid-high end. This one seems comfortably mid range to me.

https://guybouchard.wordpress.com/velosbikes/mikado/

https://www.zppays.ml/ProductDetail.aspx?iid=117375392&pr=65.88
I believe those fork mounts are for certain types of racks for low rider panniers and are intended to alleviate the neeed for something to stabilize them like an additional rack.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-24-22, 08:00 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 141 Posts
Two thoughts:
#1 Never engage in a discussion about "half-step" gearing. The people who like it are fanatics. Nodding and smiling usually lets me get away.
#2 "Mikado" is a terrible Chinese name for an early-80s bike from Japan. Thank the marketing department. Aside from that, I think it's really nice, and I'd love to own one in my size.

cheers -mathias
Old 09-24-22, 09:52 PM
retroshifter
too many bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Fork braze on for Blackburn low riders maybe?

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I believe those fork mounts are for certain types of racks for low rider panniers and are intended to alleviate the neeed for something to stabilize them like an additional rack.
the Blackburn low rider front racks popular in the 80’s came with “U” bolts to attach mid way on the forks. The braze ons on this bike appear to me to likely mirror that u bolt attachment style, though I have never seen this before. Usually on loaded touring bikes there is just one threaded hole/braze on in the fork and you attach the low rider rack with the single bolt.
Likes For retroshifter:
Old 09-25-22, 04:01 AM
steine13

Later, there was a through-hole through the fork blade, which allowed a second horizontal strut to attach behind and keep the rack from rotating.

That made the "cow catcher" over the front wheel obsolete, or at least optional.

This setup is probably an early attempt to do the same.

cheers -mathias
Likes For steine13:
Old 09-25-22, 05:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by retroshifter
the Blackburn low rider front racks popular in the 80’s came with “U” bolts to attach mid way on the forks. The braze ons on this bike appear to me to likely mirror that u bolt attachment style, though I have never seen this before. Usually on loaded touring bikes there is just one threaded hole/braze on in the fork and you attach the low rider rack with the single bolt.
I don't think I ever worked with the Blackburn ones but I put a similar set of Cannondale racks on a Cannondale MTB with those huge pepperoni forks. What a pain in the bum. We had to go to hardware store and buy bigger U bolts. We got it all set up front ant rear bags, racks. The owner came looked everything over and “can you easily remove the racks for shipping the bike?”

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-25-22, 09:47 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I've seen a few of these in the past. One had a serial number that only varied from the OP's by the last digit, which was poorly struck but appeared to be a '2'. However, its model name was Nomadic, so they appear to have used the same frame with different component configurations to create multiple models, which was common in the industry.

There have been several Mikado brands over the years. This one is the Canadian brand, which has changed ownership at least three times over the years. Originally the brand was owned by Poliquin but circa 1983 it was acquired by Lambert, a Quebec based bicycle importer and distributor of bicycles, parts and accessories.

Based on the components, the subject bicycle appears to be from the mid-1980s, Lambert era. The serial number format is consistent with a Taiwanese manufacturer, Pacific Cycles, and if so, it indicates 1984 manufacture.

The necked downtube was a way to incorporate a stiffer, oversis\zed downtube, while still using standard sized lugs.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-25-22, 02:58 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
Two thoughts:
#2 "Mikado" is a terrible Chinese name for an early-80s bike from Japan.
It's a Japanese name. And why terrible?
Old 09-25-22, 08:23 PM
steine13

>> It's a Japanese name.

Wow. Beware things you know that ain't so.

The game "pick-up sticks" is called Mikado in German. And I learned at a very early age that that was Chinese. So I KNEW that. And I was wrong.

>> And why terrible?

I thought it was "terrible" because it inappropriately mixed two cultures. Turns out it was me who did it.

Good thing I get a little smarter every day. Thanks for helping with that.

cheers -mathias
Likes For steine13:
Old 09-25-22, 08:48 PM
yesterbik

Hello,

Thank you all for your input.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Very nice. The half-step chainring combination might take a little getting used to . . . .
This is very new to me. Hope I can figure it out when riding the bike more.

Today I've made a good progress in cleaning and greasing the bike: front/rear hub; bottom bracket, headset. . ., new handle bar tape.
Take it for a test ride. It seems to run smooth.
By look the old grease, I guess this bike got very little use.
I am happy that now the bike looks nicer and is able to be on the road again.

Last edited by yesterbik; 09-25-22 at 11:16 PM.
Likes For yesterbik:
Old 09-26-22, 07:40 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Super-cool bike!
Old 09-26-22, 10:53 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by yesterbik

By look the old grease, I guess this bike got very little use.
I am happy that now the bike looks nicer and is able to be on the road again.

You do pretty good work, for a "newbie". 😉
Stick around, you'll fit right in here. 😎
Old 09-26-22, 05:02 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
That's an interesting bike, I don't know about the Tange tube naming convention back then- but the parts- that's an "eclectic mix" for sure. The SP-11, Nitto and XT bits are all top notch- Sealed bearing hubs are pretty top notch and off the top of my head I can't think of a second tier bike with a 40 spoke rear wheel. Then there's the Duopar Eco at upper mid level and the Tourney XT crank and AL-11 brakes with those levers which would strike me as lower mid level stuff.

All in all, a pretty cool bike.

Originally Posted by steine13
Two thoughts:
#1 Never engage in a discussion about "half-step" gearing. The people who like it are fanatics. Nodding and smiling usually lets me get away.
I'm not exactly a fan of half step gearing- but it certainly does serve a purpose with a wider range 5 or 6 speed freewheel. I'm not one to figure out a gear chart- but I do know when a gear is too hard or to easy for me and being able to go a little bit easier or a little bit harder is appreciated.

I appreciate a 10 speed cassette more without the hassle of fiddling with the front gears.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-29-23, 09:07 PM
randy_here

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rode 10K on a Mikado Cyclotoureur in 1984

I rode a green Mikado Cyclotoureur in 1984 on a 9 month, 10,000 km bike tour. Rode from Saskatoon to Vancouver then down the Pacific Coast highway to Mexico, then back to LA, put it in a box and took it to New Zealand for 4 months (basically everywhere), then Australia for 3 months. Fully loaded with lowrider front bags, handlebar bag (filled with my walkman, 12 cassettes and instant noodles), rear panniers and rack with tent, sleeping bag and blue foamy on it. It was a great bike, super comfortable, would soak up the bumps, and handled great with 70lbs of gear on it. Mine had a non-standard, semi-sealed bottom bracket and pedals (some weird Suntour type with a 25mm thread) which proved to be a pain in the ass. Had to change them in San Fran when I had grinding from the bottom bracket and accidently cross threaded the pedal. I don't think the rear derailleur on yours is correct, I remember mine to be a Suntour. The rims were Weinmann and were awesome, never went out of true even with all the abuse I gave them! Bike was stolen when I moved to Vancouver, but I still have the seat and seat post!
Likes For randy_here:
Old 06-30-23, 08:23 AM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
Super cool vintage Japanese steel! Half step plus granny! You just need a gear ratio chart taped to the stem now and off you go effortlessly into the endless sunset.
Likes For robobike316:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.