Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Proflex 753 questions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Proflex 753 questions

Old 04-27-20, 12:25 PM
Baiku

Bikes: 1971 Brown Raleigh Superbe, 1972 Green Raleigh Superbe x2, Ikea Sladda bike, Giant Gravel bike, custom 29er, many others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Proflex 753 questions

I recently got this bike. it needs some work but its mostly all there still.

the elastometer thing is gone. do you need to put the same thing back or is there an alternative.

the paints also faiding slightly theres proberly no fix for that tho.

Are they worth fixing up? I basicly didnt pay anything for it so ive got room for spending I usaly dont keep vintage mountain bikes for myself but it is my size so why not!

Old 04-27-20, 12:53 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 401 Posts
Surprising, but they're available.

https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/...-453-p198.html
Old 04-27-20, 08:12 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
You can wrap innertube around the shock shaft for a cheap fix, secured with zip-ties.

If you like how the bike rides, then maybe pay for the elastomer.
Old 04-27-20, 08:43 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
I'd want to be sure the available elastomers are recent production. The old ones harden and crack, probably what happened to the originals, and if the "new" ones are ten to twenty years old they're probably no good.
Old 04-28-20, 07:41 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 252 Posts
Shouldn't that bike also have a proflex/girvin fork?
Old 04-28-20, 12:04 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I'd want to be sure the available elastomers are recent production. The old ones harden and crack, probably what happened to the originals, and if the "new" ones are ten to twenty years old they're probably no good.
The modern replacements mentioned are,,, -modern, not old stock.

But if these new ones use pressurized nitrogen bubbles in micro-celluar urethane (MCU) like the originals, then I would expect that they are perhaps good for a few years at most(?).

The original Vector forks commonly got swapped out for taller conventional forks. Riser bars were not yet a common thing so I left my new fork's steerer nearly un-cut on my 856 model.

Some of the earlier models used ordinary rigid forks together with the Girvin Flex-Stem. I put on a much longer Rockshox hybrid fork and added brake boosters to my older Model 253 hybrid:

Last edited by dddd; 04-28-20 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-28-20, 12:42 PM
Baiku

Bikes: 1971 Brown Raleigh Superbe, 1972 Green Raleigh Superbe x2, Ikea Sladda bike, Giant Gravel bike, custom 29er, many others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may look into those elastometers things. its hard to believe a small piece costs that much but I wouldnt know. this is the second one of these bikes ive come across. the first one had the girvin fork. I also have a stem that I think is also girvin wich is an odd looking stem. I thinbk ill just one of them refresh kits from the site piff suggest or find a round block of rubber. ill proberly replace the fork since I have several around and just keep the one that came off the bike and put it with it if i ever sell. seems like a very well built bike regardless. I got it from a place where there where alot of bikes left outside and really only the chain was rusty aint paint slightly faided