Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grocery Bag Harness

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grocery Bag Harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 03:44 PM
tessellahedron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Grocery Bag Harness

Does anyone know where I could get something to help me carry grocery bags over my shoulders?

I keep envisioning something like a rock climbing chest harness but covered in hooks, and straps with more hooks. Does that exist?
Old 08-23-22, 03:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Obvious question: why not racks and panniers for the bike?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-23-22, 03:58 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The rear bags are full and I don't have front ones.

I use the trailer for serious groceries but it would be nice to carry a bit more without it.
Old 08-23-22, 04:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26390 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
...have you considered a standard small backpack or rucksack ? What you envision seems like something I would not want to use, and I carry grocery items on my bikes all the time.
Old 08-23-22, 04:47 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have a backpack. I used to carry a lot on the handlebars when I rode a mountain bike but now I'm on a ten speed and it's harder to hang bags there. Anything on my arms just slides down.
Old 08-23-22, 05:16 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...have you considered a standard small backpack or rucksack ? What you envision seems like something I would not want to use, and I carry grocery items on my bikes all the time.
Yeah, free-swinging weight high up seems... not good.
Old 08-23-22, 05:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Messenger bag FTW!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-23-22, 05:24 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by tessellahedron
The rear bags are full and I don't have front ones.

I use the trailer for serious groceries but it would be nice to carry a bit more without it.
Can you attach a front rack? Frankly, it's sounding like you just don't have the right bike for the (extreme) job and will need to compromise; personally, I'd rather do more frequent trips rather than one potentially overly incumbered trip.
Old 08-23-22, 05:36 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A front rack might work but I'll have to research it. I wouldn't need it on most rides though, which is why I'm looking for a way to just hang a few extra bags on myself.
Old 08-23-22, 08:34 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Why not hang the bags on the bars? Thats what i do, ive carried tons of groceries this way. When i was in vietnam i was in awe of how much bs people fit on their bikes, just go a bit slower so they dont run into your front wheel.

https://matadornetwork.com/abroad/th...-vietnam-pics/

Just keep the weight somewhat balanced and youre good to go
Old 08-23-22, 08:44 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I figured out how to tie a bag with a loaf of bread onto the handlebars/stem but everything else I've hung on these drop bars has ended up in the wheel.

unless there's some common sense right way to do this that I'm just not seeing...
Old 08-23-22, 08:53 PM
wildstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The bags I get always seem to be pre-ripped a the factory, I can barely get them in the door from the driveway sometimes before they rip.

I would transfer your goods to something better.
Old 08-23-22, 09:28 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Second vote for a small backpack. You can get them with a strap that wraps around your waist/midsection to it won't be swinging from your shoulder straps.

Also look at some of the backpack vendors for oversize waist packs. I bought one of those about 10 years ago to carry gear on long day hikes (when I was into that) and it worked quite nicely. It was a Marmot brand bag, not sure if they sell them any more. Photography shops might also have a selection of similar bags that would work..
Old 08-23-22, 09:54 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I figured out how to tie a bag with a loaf of bread onto the handlebars/stem but everything else I've hung on these drop bars has ended up in the wheel.

unless there's some common sense right way to do this that I'm just not seeing...
...there's really no safe way to hang a plastic grocery bag on a bar, and not have some chance of it interfering with you knees as you pedal, or your wheel as it swings. You can often get away with it, riding slowly, but why take the risk ? Crashing hurts, and it's not especially good for your produce either.
Old 08-23-22, 09:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Why not hang the bags on the bars? Thats what i do, ive carried tons of groceries this way. When i was in vietnam i was in awe of how much bs people fit on their bikes, just go a bit slower so they dont run into your front wheel.

https://matadornetwork.com/abroad/th...-vietnam-pics/

Just keep the weight somewhat balanced and youre good to go
...I once watched an Italian furniture mover carry a full sized refrigerator down four flights of steps, by himself, using nothing by his hands behind his back and a head strap. In Naples, I routinely saw stuff like sofas being transported on the back of a Vespa. I would never recommend doing either of those things to anyone, nor would I attempt to do them myself
Old 08-24-22, 07:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Get one of these, a $5 10pk of carabiners off eBay, and go nuts clipping bags all over your torso. Post pics please.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-24-22, 07:39 AM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Get one of these, a $5 10pk of carabiners off eBay, and go nuts clipping bags all over your torso. Post pics please.
that's it man! That's almost exactly what I'm looking for. I envisioned it with just straps and clips, not all the padding and super thick stuff, but that looks nearly perfect. I'll definitely post pics if I order one.

I used to tie my own seat and chest harnesses out of webbing. I'm feeling kinda pathetic for not being able to figure out how to tie one of these.
Old 08-24-22, 07:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
I started transporting groceries in a messenger bag in the 90s, long before it was "green"/"eco" to do so. Goes over one shoulder, and the chest strap keeps things from swinging around.
Old 08-24-22, 08:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Have you considered a bigger backpack? I’m thinking something along the lines of a Navy seabag, or other military-style duffle bag. You can probably pick one up at your local Army-Navy surplus store. Also available online. — Dan

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...rocly4qavd_bwe
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-24-22, 08:24 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Try plastic milk crates. I see them a lot.
Old 08-24-22, 09:19 AM
LarrySellerz

but everything else I've hung on these drop bars has ended up in the wheel.

Yeah I feel you, you have to ride really smoothly and not allow the bags to swing at all, it takes practice and not always possible. You can carry big loads of groceries on your handlebars, much more than can fit in a pannier. I carry bags on my bars like every other day
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 08-24-22, 09:19 AM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I can't fit much in a messenger bag that won't fit in my pockets. At least the bags I've seen, they're all flat for paperwork.

when I played ice hockey I commuted to practice on a klr250 dual sport bike (street legal dirt bike). I used this backpack (different color but you get the point) to carry all of my gear except the stick, which I lashed to the bike. I got weird looks on the road for sure but it really wasn't an issue, so I'm not worried about carrying a few grocery bags, I just need a quick and easy way to clip them on.

I zip tied a milk crate to the cargo rack on my motobecane moped and it worked great. It's just not an easy on-off thing and I use the rack for other stuff during highway rides.

part of why I want a harness of clips is so I don't have to spend time loading a backpack. The cashier bagged it all so I just wanna clip them on and go.

I partially got the idea from those things some people have in the backs of their SUVs where they can clip grocery bags to keep them from sliding around. My old truck had a cargo net with three sections to put stuff like grocery bags. This is just the bicycle version of those.
Old 08-24-22, 09:23 AM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Yeah I feel you, you have to ride really smoothly and not allow the bags to swing at all, it takes practice and not always possible. You can carry big loads of groceries on your handlebars, much more than can fit in a pannier.
maybe this is bad but the one thing I can carry consistently on the drops is a 5 gallon bucket. Since the handle only swings in one plane, you just have to keep it oriented so it can't hit the wheel. I've never tried with two.

It's a lot harder than it sounds but maybe with some kind of clamp to hold them, a 5 gallon bucket on each side would be the best solution. Just bulky and heavy.
Old 08-24-22, 09:31 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
I have a backpack. I used to carry a lot on the handlebars when I rode a mountain bike but now I'm on a ten speed and it's harder to hang bags there. Anything on my arms just slides down.
Sternum and waist straps are there to stabilize the load... pack won't shift appreciably if done properly. But weight up high on you is always going to de-stabilize you most. Any slight body movement makes the bike react... A lot of weight/groceries, suddenly moved, due to some on-road incident/thing, could make you crash... Best to put weight on the bike.
Quick hook-up trailers are the best for that. That's what my old Burley Bugger (used for child hauling BITD) does now...

A front rack might work but I'll have to research it. I wouldn't need it on most rides though, which is why I'm looking for a way to just hang a few extra bags on myself.
Sunlite makes a front rack which connects thru a QR front wheel setup (not made for Thru-Axle).
Then just figure out a 'quick-release' setup for the fork top/Head tube/steerer connection. Prolly OK for light stuff... ( max 8-10 lbs per side...)
Ride On
Yuri

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Ignore my suggestion. You just wanna do the quickie 'plastic bag' thing... Or get your hockey bag... there's the same kinda idea - SKI Boot Plus side pockets bag available with shoulder straps, but most don;t have waist straps, but you could use a shoulder strap with release clips, by hooking to the shoulder strap D-rings...
I don;t have much trust in the Grocery plastic bag thing, even for the handlebars.

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-24-22 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-24-22, 10:03 AM
LarrySellerz

maybe this is bad but the one thing I can carry consistently on the drops is a 5 gallon bucket. Since the handle only swings in one plane, you just have to keep it oriented so it can't hit the wheel. I've never tried with two.

It's a lot harder than it sounds but maybe with some kind of clamp to hold them, a 5 gallon bucket on each side would be the best solution. Just bulky and heavy.
Almost certainly easier with 2, you want the weight to be even.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.