Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

The post your trailer thread.

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

The post your trailer thread.

Old 08-10-21, 01:36 PM
DPDISXR4Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking at getting a Burley Flatbed and I'm considering getting a used one. I see there have been some changes over the years, especially where the trailer hitches to the bike. The early ones (circa 2005), seem to have a much larger plastic assembly that attaches to the rear triangle. The later ones seem to have a much smaller fitting that gets clamped in via the quick-release axle. I think there may be some other minor variations, but just trying to keep it simple for now.

Thoughts on the differences and which is "better"?
Old 08-15-21, 03:58 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti
I'm looking at getting a Burley Flatbed and I'm considering getting a used one. I see there have been some changes over the years, especially where the trailer hitches to the bike. The early ones (circa 2005), seem to have a much larger plastic assembly that attaches to the rear triangle. The later ones seem to have a much smaller fitting that gets clamped in via the quick-release axle. I think there may be some other minor variations, but just trying to keep it simple for now.

The “Classic” plastic assembly was just made for bikes without QR skewers.
Old 08-22-21, 12:53 PM
DPDISXR4Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist
The “Classic” plastic assembly was just made for bikes without QR skewers.
Okay, got it. I actually ended up picking up a barely used Burley Bee for $100, which is the type designed for carrying up to 100 lbs of kids, not stuff! Used it for the first time yesterday - we did a point-to-point bike/haul with our blow-up kayak. It actually worked better than the Flatbed for this purpose using the cover to keep the light stuff from falling out. Total weight in the trailer was about 60 lbs, which proved to be A LOT when going up hills on a gravel path. We switched over to the road for the second half of the trip, and then followed that up with our 15-mile paddle down the Delaware River.
Old 08-22-21, 02:28 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Glad your new Burley Bee worked out for you, Brad! That was the first trailer I ever had, given to me for free by a neighbor whose kid had out grown it ages before. Since then I’ve burned through two Nomads, the later of which I recently salvaged for my new dual drive ecumbent “Redundo”.

Old 08-22-21, 02:47 PM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Found one of those kiddie trailers in the trash. Took me a day to strip it down to the frame and build a little wooden bed out of scraps. It's very solid and I recently replaced the tires with new ones I found on a kid's mountain box I also found in the trash.

19 gallons, 150+ pounds of water
Likes For homeless in ca.:
Old 08-23-21, 03:26 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti

I have the older one. Zero problems over the years. Had it setup for boring the dog around. The style is very similar to the kiddie trailers. A few modifications and it's basicly the same trai.er, just has that piece hanging off the bottom which was for the kids feet I believe. It's not structural or anything so it can be removed.
Old 08-24-21, 10:31 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca.

19 gallons, 150+ pounds of water
Did you ride around with all that to see how it handled/if it would hold it on a ride? Or did you just load it up for a static test sitting still?

I have one of the darker blue jugs I have been using for water on trips (vehicular travel, camping, etc) for years. They are nice to have. I am working on some trailer ideas for bike touring also and have been eyeballing that jug also. What I have done before is use 32oz nalgene bottles and the 1gal jugs from Dollar General (I like that style plastic bottle - the handle loop is sturdy and can be tied off and looped over gear on the rear rack). However, if I can get all my water confined to a larger jug that would be good - longer period between resupply.
Old 08-25-21, 03:03 PM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Did you ride around with all that to see how it handled/if it would hold it on a ride? Or did you just load it up for a static test sitting still?

I have one of the darker blue jugs I have been using for water on trips (vehicular travel, camping, etc) for years. They are nice to have. I am working on some trailer ideas for bike touring also and have been eyeballing that jug also. What I have done before is use 32oz nalgene bottles and the 1gal jugs from Dollar General (I like that style plastic bottle - the handle loop is sturdy and can be tied off and looped over gear on the rear rack). However, if I can get all my water confined to a larger jug that would be good - longer period between resupply.
I can ride it like that. But I don't have to go far to get water. I doubt the trailer would survive a week long road trip over rough terrain with that much weight. I use it mainly for work. I can transport a 40 pound ladder and 30-40 pounds of tools no problem.

The blue jugs work well for car camping. I use mine with a small submersible pump. Wastes less water and I don't have to take the jug out of my vehicle every time I need to wash my hands.
Old 01-15-22, 09:41 PM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

Liked 170 Times in 35 Posts
Trailer on a World Tour

A striped down commercial Burley Kids trailer can haul a world of things...
on parade on Orcas Island behind a Quest Velomobile. The Quest has a stainless plate welded down low on the uni-frame arm that the traditional Burley hitch attaches to.

Then there is the basic home made electrical EMT and plywood trailer headed off to install a solar electric system on Crow Valley Road.....

Specialized Expedition pulling a home made trailer

Who needs a Van?.... renewable energy installation at its best

Who needs the Van?
Likes For 2flit:
Old 01-26-22, 08:34 PM
zorkist

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Hi, I'm new here.
I have 2 homemade 'Burley Travoy style' trailers I like to share.
Hope I can post pictures soon.
Likes For zorkist:
Old 02-08-22, 01:46 AM
zorkist

This is my DIY "Burley Travoy style" trailer made from an external frame backpack. I added a H-shaped structure made of ϕ28mm aluminum tubes to the frame for wheel attachment.

Its earliest status:

Last edited by zorkist; 02-08-22 at 03:43 AM.
Likes For zorkist:
Old 02-08-22, 01:47 AM
zorkist

And this is a heavier duty one made from raw components.

Last edited by zorkist; 02-08-22 at 03:09 AM.
Likes For zorkist:
Old 02-08-22, 01:50 AM
zorkist

An "amphibious trip" with the trailer in its earlier form.

Last edited by zorkist; 02-08-22 at 02:03 AM.
Likes For zorkist:
Old 03-23-22, 09:31 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts

This is my rig to get food and household supplies. The tub is held on by u-bolts and wing nuts to come off quickly.

Likes For bjjoondo:
Old 12-20-22, 08:19 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Spotted in Kyvi in the Ukraine a LvH Bullit cargo bike towing a Carla Cargo trailer loaded with a steel section for a road blockade to thwart advancing Russian troops.

Likes For Gareth:
Old 05-25-23, 06:56 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 817 Posts
Nothing fancy about my trailer - just an old Kool-Stop I bought on sale years before I had a child and continue to use now that the same kid is an adult.

it's been useful.

Likes For RCMoeur: