Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What IS IT About The Surly Cross-Check?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What IS IT About The Surly Cross-Check?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 06:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Surly is my favourite brand. Surlys frames are unique, different, I think they are the most practical and versatile frames ever produced, everything out there is crap compared to Surly. Very few manufacturers out there make bikes with rear facing drop outs( track ends) and horizontal drops. Very easy to set them up SS, FG or geared, track ends and horizontal drop outs are simple and effective. Their frames have more clearance for big tires then any other frame out there. I have a Surly 1x1 and the No.1 selling point for me was rear track-ends and huge tire clearance.
Old 10-26-14, 07:28 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have a Surly 1x1 and the No.1 selling point for me was rear track-ends and huge tire clearance.
I looked at a Surly Cross Check SS earlier this spring, but found a Trek SSFG with horizontal dropouts that I liked better... $600 vs $900 too.

Why would you want track ends on a commute bike?
Old 10-26-14, 07:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Why would you want track ends on a commute bike?
Because I commute on FG or SS bikes, I don't own any multi geared bikes... Horizontal drop outs are OK but I just prefer rear track-ends with chain tugs.
Old 10-26-14, 07:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don't know why, but I like track ends.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-26-14, 09:13 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I guess that's what has me puzzled. I get the "sensible bikes" and "sensible people" part, but how is $1,200 a "sensible price?"

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but the GT Outpost I bought in 1996 for $300 got me through 4-5 years of almost daily mountain biking, has taken me over hundreds or thousands of miles of road all over the country, and still gets me to and from work safely several days a week, eighteen years later. I haven't priced bikes lately, but I estimate that this bike (or its equivalent) would be about $500 now.

The first thing many NY City bicycle commuters do is deface their rides to lessen their appeal to thieves. Others just ride clunkers to avoid having to worry. So why would a commuter ride a $1,200 bike to work? I'm not trying to be a smart-*ss. The investigative side of me just wants to know!
When I looked at the Cross Check about 3 years ago, local bike shops were selling it around here at list, I think was $1,150 or thereabouts. There wasn't a lot comparable from the major manufacturers due to the Cross Check's steel frame, but alloy frames with similar component specs were going for at least that. I think the steel-framed Trek 520 was going for that price or more, which is a good standard for comparison. So I don't think it was overpriced relative to the competition then. It's only $50 more now.

My Fantom CXX was $800, but I'm into it for more than $1,100 given accessories, upgraded saddle and tires, and so forth. It's my primary commuter bike. I have a 1990s steel mountain bike much like yours, but I only use it with studded tires in the winter. Why? Because the CXX is just a far better bike. I prefer the way it rides by far, it shifts better, and I have a very high level of confidence that everything will work right every ride. Most of all, commuting has been the vast majority of my bike mileage for a number of years, and I want to ride the bike I enjoy the most for those miles.

I live in a city with a substantial amount of crime, and I ride through sketchy neighborhoods during my commute. I park my bike inside at work, so that's not an issue. I guess someone could jump me for my bike somewhere on the way. It would hurt more to lose my CXX than the old mountain bike. However, losing the mountain bike would be a substantial hit as well, considering that it would have far higher replacement value than its current actual value. That's the risk we all take when we get on our bikes and ride somewhere.
Old 10-26-14, 09:43 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
the Trek 520 starts at almost $1500, too.
Old 10-27-14, 12:45 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Seems like and all-rounder from what my colleagues in New England say.

Personally, I'm not a fan of all-rounders as they don't excel in any one area and would rather have one tool for each job. That's why I keep bikes stashed where I live that are suitable for their purpose.
Old 10-27-14, 12:55 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Surly is my favourite brand. Surlys frames are unique, different, I think they are the most practical and versatile frames ever produced, everything out there is crap compared to Surly.
I usually agree with you but this is a severe stretch of the truth. I saw them everywhere in Germany (usually at the discount sporting goods places ... think German-version of REI). They didn't seem as well-built or well-option as CUBE or STEVENS bikes for the same money.

https://cube.eu/

Stevens Bikes 2015 | Home
Old 10-27-14, 03:53 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by acidfast7
I usually agree with you but this is a severe stretch of the truth. I saw them everywhere in Germany (usually at the discount sporting goods places ... think German-version of REI). They didn't seem as well-built or well-option as CUBE or STEVENS bikes for the same money.

Around here Surlys aren't cheap. You not going to find them at a discount store. One of my local bike shops is selling Surly Fat Bikes for $2400-2700 dollars. When I bought my Surly 1x1 frame many years ago I paid $550 dollars for just the frame alone. A fully built crosscheck will run you about $1600 or more depending on the components.
Old 10-27-14, 04:11 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Around here Surlys aren't cheap. You not going to find them at a discount store. One of my local bike shops is selling Surly Fat Bikes for $2400-2700 dollars. When I bought my Surly 1x1 frame many years ago I paid $550 dollars for just the frame alone. A fully built crosscheck will run you about $1600 or more depending on the components.
I would say that a discount bike is anything less than €1000. I'd consider REI a discount store in terms out outdoor goods stores.

I also don't think that $550 is justified for a frame, when one can get something from TourTerrain for the same price.

https://www.en.tout-terrain.de/

price list: https://www.en.tout-terrain.de/filead...h_2015_web.pdf
Old 10-27-14, 06:10 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

I would say that a discount bike is anything less than €1000. I'd consider REI a discount store in terms out outdoor goods stores.

I also don't think that $550 is justified for a frame, when one can get something from TourTerrain for the same price.

tout terrain

price list: https://www.en.tout-terrain.de/filead...h_2015_web.pdf
They certainly have a more "European" aesthetic. Is that what makes them better? What models from these companies are you comparing to the Surly offerings? Let's see some side by side comparisons, not just links to websites, please.
Old 10-27-14, 07:39 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by cobrabyte
They certainly have a more "European" aesthetic. Is that what makes them better? What models from these companies are you comparing to the Surly offerings? Let's see some side by side comparisons, not just links to websites, please.
You can do the work, if you want.

I'm just voicing my opinion that I find the Surly CC not great value for money as most people state here.

However, I understand that the EU market is much more diverse with it's product offering, especially with regards to cycling equipment.
Old 10-27-14, 08:09 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

You can do the work, if you want.

I'm just voicing my opinion that I find the Surly CC not great value for money as most people state here.

However, I understand that the EU market is much more diverse with it's product offering, especially with regards to cycling equipment.
I'm not going to bother doing the work, of all those bikes, maybe one piqued my interest. Not worth the effort. You made the claim. The burden of proof is on you.
Old 10-27-14, 08:12 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I'm not going to bother doing the work, of all those bikes, maybe one piqued my interest. Not worth the effort. You made the claim. The burden of proof is on you.
LOL.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like your loss ... I'll be out riding!
Old 10-27-14, 08:17 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

k.
Old 10-27-14, 08:22 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I picked up my frame for $400.00 a few years ago and changed over parts from an existing bike. Makes a great solid commuter. Fits racks and fenders with wide tires. I can also hit some singletrack with it on the way home. The versatility is key for me. I also own a 1x1 and a Karate Monkey. A no nonsense bike that works well.
Old 10-27-14, 10:34 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
k.
Just ignore him, he is constantly dicking up threads with irrelevant comments on how much better he thinks everything is in Europe.
Old 10-27-14, 10:48 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Yup, I'm beginning to notice that
Old 10-27-14, 11:30 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by trailmix
Just ignore him, he is constantly dicking up threads with irrelevant comments on how much better he thinks everything is in Europe.
Lol ... those bikes are far superior to the Surly CC in the same price range.

Sorry, if you don't want to hear that.
Old 10-27-14, 11:40 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Lol ... those bikes are far superior to the Surly CC in the same price range.

Sorry, if you don't want to hear that.
How are they superior? Specifically?
Old 10-27-14, 12:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by trailmix
I like and admire Europe, and I like the information and perspective he brings here. But it has gotten to the point where I feel the same, where he seems to be asserting some sort of superiority because he chose to live in Europe. Boring.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-27-14, 12:08 PM
acidfast7
Banned

How are they superior? Specifically?
For example, one is hand-welded in Germany, while the other is machine-welded in Taiwan.

Regardless of the keeping locals employed and keeping the money where it should stay arguments, I'd trust a hand-welded frame from southern Germany than a machine processed frame.

In addition, if the frames are made in house, then a certain amount of new technology can be implemented directly into the manufacturing process with minimal lead and testing/refinement periods.

One example is making frames to test these in house:

PINION / P1.18 / DRIVE TECHNOLOGY

The turn around time is much longer if the welding is done by a machine halfway around the planet.

It also reduces the cost and shortens the development cycles.

For a precise example, why doesn't the Surly CC have the handlebar rotation stop welded to the frame? It just seems like an oversight to me because the extra material would literally cost 2 USD at most.
Old 10-27-14, 12:10 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't know why, but I like track ends.
Ex Bmx-er here. Track ends are the only 'dropouts' that have ever made sense to me. Sig'd.

As a Steamroller owner who probably paid too much ($450) for his used Surly, I've thought about it a lot and after nearly 1000 miles on it, I can't say I'd do it differently given the chance. Yes, some of Surly's color choices are (very) questionable (brownish purple? wtf?) but the bike feels sturdy and responsive. A lot of people say Surly just makes steel bikes with superb marketing but they all seem to really thoughtfully executed for their intended purposes. I especially like that a couple of their frames ship with modular dropouts, which I think is pretty cool.

Last edited by 50voltphantom; 10-27-14 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 12:20 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

For example, one is hand-welded in Germany, while the other is machine-welded in Taiwan.

Regardless of the keeping locals employed and keeping the money where it should stay arguments, I'd trust a hand-welded frame from southern Germany than a machine processed frame.

In addition, if the frames are made in house, then a certain amount of new technology can be implemented directly into the manufacturing process with minimal lead and testing/refinement periods.

One example is making frames to test these in house:

PINION / P1.18 / DRIVE TECHNOLOGY

The turn around time is much longer if the welding is done by a machine halfway around the planet.

It also reduces the cost and shortens the development cycles.

For a precise example, why doesn't the Surly CC have the handlebar rotation stop welded to the frame? It just seems like an oversight to me because the extra material would literally cost 2 USD at most.
That's a list of preferences. How does it speak to quality?
Old 10-27-14, 01:05 PM
acidfast7
Banned

That's a list of preferences. How does it speak to quality?
I think that if you look at the OP it's a list of preferences. I also mentioned that they are "far superior", which I think are because my shopping preferences include keeping the money in house and reduced greenhouse emissions from shipping.

Where did I stress quality, you seem to be hung up on enhanced quality equating with a better overall purchase, or am I mistaken?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.